Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to get internet. pretty sure i need drivers. screenshot included.  (Read 14759 times)

ejames82

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    and then this.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

ejames82

Topic Starter

Beginner

and then this. :)

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

ejames82

Topic Starter

Beginner

Computer_Commando and patio,

you guys and computerhope are awesome!

i went back and checked device manager and checked every plus (+) just to make sure there were no hidden exclamation points or question marks.  none to be found.  it turns out one of those question marks represented wireless connectivity.  it's set to work, but not in the way.

who would have thought that after reboot all the devices that needed drivers would go "hunting" and find the drivers.  that was truly amazing. i was speechless.

thank you, THANK YOU!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        ...i went back and checked device manager and checked every plus (+) just to make sure there were no hidden exclamation points or question marks.  none to be found.  it turns out one of those question marks represented wireless connectivity....who would have thought that after reboot all the devices that needed drivers would go "hunting" and find the drivers...
        Cool!
        Once the drivers are installed, even if you delete them from the Device Manager, the OS will find them all and reinstall automatically.  It's called "Plug & Play", sometimes referred to as "Plug & Pray".
        Exclamation points or question marks are never hidden, when you open DM, they will show.
        When you do all this 50-100 times, you do it without thinking that much.  Usually this is good, sometimes it's bad.  It's not exactly the same on every computer.  Been there, done that!

ejames82

Topic Starter

Beginner

Computer_Commando,

"When you do all this 50-100 times, you do it without thinking that much.  Usually this is good, sometimes it's bad.  It's not exactly the same on every computer"
          it would be great if, while installing drivers on a regular basis, the same name was used often.  names like "other PCI Bridge device" or "PCI Simple communications controller" leave alot of question as to what the device it pertains to actually is.  while being helped before i found the chipset was "SMBus".  i would have never guessed that "SMBus" was the chipset.  this brings up the question "does other manufacturers like gateway, dell, or acer use the name "SMBus" if so, great, but if they use another type of name, that would be confusing.  the correct terminology is a job by itself.

since this, i went from computer to computer and have used drivermax to put all my drivers on cd, and actually freshly installed xp on a seperate hard drive just to make sure i could install the drivers from the cd and make sure everything was kosher in device manager.  all my computers drivers are backed up on TWO seperate disks.

thanks again.