Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell OptiPlex GX720 sound does not work  (Read 3798 times)

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

Dell OptiPlex GX720 sound does not work
    « on: June 07, 2010, 03:08:42 AM »
    Hi Expert

My client has 5 desktops at his office all of them are Dell OptiPlex GX720 with XP Prof SP3.

One of them sound does not work,,,,,I tried many things, install driver and download new driver , check if the sound is disabled or enabled ,,,,etc.

Sound card is built in.

What I did from home I accessed the desktop that has sound issue (VPN and RDP) and when I un installed the sound driver and installed it again the sound worked I thought this is the end of my dilemma, I was so happy because the issue was solved and I called the client to tell him that everything is fine

Next day there was a surprise for me my client rang me to tell me that sound does not work,,,,,,I have no idea what do ? Why it was working when I logged in remotely?

What are other steps I ought to be considering for the troubleshooting
    ?

Thanks

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Dell OptiPlex GX720 sound does not work
      « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
      All  PCs at the office do not have external speakers , built-in speakers were used for the purpose of the sound ,,,,,and setting for all sound cards are same ,,,,means workings sound card have same setting for the one that does not work.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:58:46 PM »
      Hello, there's lots of people on this forum would like to help you and they will have lots of suggestions.
      I believe I know what the problem is, but I would rather not tell you because I don't want to send you down that line of pursuit. It would be a waste of your time.
      Instead, it is cheap sound card that will fit in the open PCI slot and disable the built-in sound card on that computer. This is quicker than trying to figure out what the actual problem is.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »
      Hello, there's lots of people on this forum would like to help you and they will have lots of suggestions.
      I believe I know what the problem is, but I would rather not tell you because I don't want to send you down that line of pursuit. It would be a waste of your time.
      Instead, it is cheap sound card that will fit in the open PCI slot and disable the built-in sound card on that computer. This is quicker than trying to figure out what the actual problem is.

EDIT :I see you posted this on another forum and you got the same answer.

You have to go to the site and physically install another sound card. You can not solve the problem with software.This is not such a rare problem. Just very annoying.

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:35:29 AM »
        Hi Geek-9pm

EDIT :I see you posted this on another forum and you got the same answer.
        Yes  but I was not sure if it is the actual hardware that causing this problem.

You have to go to the site and physically install another sound card.
        I will do that