Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Properties Not Working - 98SE  (Read 4264 times)

Dix

Network Properties Not Working - 98SE
« on: July 15, 2005, 09:11:11 PM »
While trying to change a network card I found that my Network properties applet no longer works properly.

"Remove"ing or checking an item's "Properties" works fine, but clicking on "add" and trying to add a "Protocol" for an adapter returns absolutely nothing. Ditto so I've found for "Client" and "Service". Adding an "Adapter" brings up an applet to add a device, but that's the only one of the four options that does work.

For the moment I've removed the new NIC and placed the old one back in getting everything working by restoring yesterday's registry backup.

Is there a way to get this applet working again or reinstalling Windows' networking without doing a complete reinstallation of Windows itself?

2k dummy

Re: Network Properties Not Working - 98SE
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 09:39:40 PM »
Check device manager and see if the new nic is properly installed. It might require different driver. If you have slots available you can install more than one nic.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 09:46:15 PM »
Dix:

When you put the NIC in the slot and start the computer, does Windows indicate it finds and installs the new hardware successfully or does it indicate that it could not find a software driver and asks you to provide the driver?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 09:47:38 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Dix

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 06:10:16 AM »
Hi Doc,

Windows picks up the card just fine...  & adds the card as hardware and installs the drivers... the card appears in the network properties as being installed (and functioning properly according to the hardware manager) it's trying to configure the card that's the problem....

Open Network Properties....

Click "add"...

Pick your poison... highlight "client" & click "add" (or having highlighted the card previously, click "protocol")

and.....

nothing...

At this point there should be a new option window that appears listing options like "Client for Microsoft Networks" / "Client for Novell Network" / etc. (or in the case of the latter "TCP/IP" / NetBEUI / etc)

I've tried copying a fresh copy of "NETCPL.CPL" off the CD but that didn't solve the problem... whatever the process is that the network properties control panel hands off to when adding networking componants other than hardware has obviously gone south.

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 06:26:08 AM »
Click on the cards properties and select advance/bindings. Can you add TCP/IP? If yes, you will see it listed again with TCP/IP added. Click properties on the added entry and see if protocols are then available.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 03:59:31 PM »
The trick is when you remove anything from the device manager is......reboot pc and then shutdown .....this clear the irqs...and the list....otherwise >>.you may find you will end up with loads of entrys...and windows a bit confused.....

Dix

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 06:49:02 PM »
Did that Merlin...

& No 2K... the bindings field is empty
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 06:51:28 PM by Dix »

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 03:01:39 AM »
What internet explorer version have you got?? i guess you are saying that the network box is grayed out? yes/no......and you have not got any options to set up network?.......if this is the case....load the win98se cd install disk......now chose the browse option.....click the add ons folder.....then click the pws folder......now scroll down the list till you cross the regsvr32 icon.........next to it is one called Setup.*...if you  clicked this icon*it will re-install win98se with no file loss........saves messing about copying /extacting files.......
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 03:24:34 AM by merlin_2 »