Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU overheating  (Read 11222 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
CPU overheating
« on: June 22, 2010, 06:31:13 PM »
My System;      Intel Pent.D  2.8GHz
                       Mobo; D945GTP                       
                       CPU;  SmithField Socket  775 LGA
                       Memory; 3 GB
                       O/S; XP Pro. Service Pack 3  Media Edition
According to specs. 64.1 C is the max. temp. for my CPU. My CPU runs at or exceeds that number when under any load. Idling the temp.varies anywhere between 52 and 60C depending whether or not something starts up. This PC is just over three years old. I check my temps. with SIW and have compared those temps.to Everest and the numbers are very close. It was suggested to me to clean and replace the thermal paste. This was done but did not make a difference to the temps. A new bigger/better heatsinc was tried and also did not make a difference. I took my PC into the pros' for their evaluation. Their comments were (when checked in Bios) temps. appeared to run immediately at approx. 61-62 C whether idling or under load. It did not seem to matter. Their feeling is that possibly a capacitor or? may be weak and not allowing or providing the proper voltage. Their resolution is a); either install liquid cooling(which they say may/or may not work) and at over $100, or b) run the PC until it gives up, or c) buy a new unit. Right now the PC runs great. I wouldn't have known that I had this concern if I hadn't checked my temps. So at this point I'm just running it.
But, if you have any other thoughts or suggestions with this concern, they would be greatly appreciated.  Thks, overthehill

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
Re: CPU overheating
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
I should have also said that the CPU fan is running in relationship to the CPU temp.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:47:57 PM »
My System;      Intel Pent.D  2.8GHz
                       Mobo; D945GTP                       
                       CPU;  SmithField Socket  775 LGA
                       Memory; 3 GB
                       O/S; XP Pro. Service Pack 3  Media Edition
According to specs. 64.1 C is the max. temp. for my CPU....
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_D/Intel-Pentium%20D%20820%20HH80551PG0722MN%20%28BX80551PG2800FN%20-%20BX80551PG2800FT%29.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/Glossary/M/Minimum_Maximum_operating_temperatures.html

Minimum and Maximum operating temperatures specify the range of temperatures in which the CPU is guaranteed to function. It is not recommended to operate the CPUs at temperatures lower than the minimum and higher than the maximum operating temperature - while they may work, pro-longed operation at these temperatures may cause system instability and shorten the CPU life. Running the processors at temperatures much higher than the maximum operating temperature may permanently damage the CPU.

Modern microprocessors include special features that can throttle or reduce processor frequency when the CPU temperature reaches the maximum, or shutdown the CPU completely when the temperature reaches certain critical value (which is greater than the maximum temperature). If your CPU is consistently running at temperatures close to the maximum, or periodically shuts down by itself, use the following methods to rectify the problem:

* Verify that there is unrestricted airflow to and from the CPU's heatsink and fan.
    * Move the computer away from other sources of heat, or to colder place.
    * Clean the CPU's heatsink and fan. Also clean other fans that are usually attached to your computer case.
    * Make sure that you use thermal paste when you install the CPU's heatsink.
    * Replace CPU's heatsink/fan with a more powerful one.
    * Add more fans to your case.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:57:30 PM »
    * Verify that there is unrestricted airflow to and from the CPU's heatsink and fan.
    * Move the computer away from other sources of heat, or to colder place.
    * Clean the CPU's heatsink and fan. Also clean other fans that are usually attached to your computer case.
    * Make sure that you use thermal paste when you install the CPU's heatsink.
    * Replace CPU's heatsink/fan with a more powerful one.
    * Add more fans to your case.[/i]
Thank You. Computer_Commando
Except for adding the extra fan, the others have been checked/tried. They didn't feel at the shop that adding an extra fan would help in the light of everything else.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:12:43 PM »
Do you know if the CPU fan runs 100% all the time?  Some BIOS have the ability to program them to do so.   I have 2-P4 3 GHz cpus and both run in the 60's all the time.  One has a PWM cpu fan which varies the speed with load/temp.  Depending on the case, you can add a case fan or a slot fan.

Our CPU's are generating the heat of a 100W incandescent lamp; you know how hot they get.  What kind of heatsink/fan did you try?  Don't expect to get temps of 40degC; it's just not gonna happen with the old P4's.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:30:44 PM »
Do you know if the CPU fan runs 100% all the time?  Some BIOS have the ability to program them to do so.   I have 2-P4 3 GHz cpus and both run in the 60's all the time.  One has a PWM cpu fan which varies the speed with load/temp.  Depending on the case, you can add a case fan or a slot fan.

Our CPU's are generating the heat of a 100W incandescent lamp; you know how hot they get.  What kind of heatsink/fan did you try?  Don't expect to get temps of 40degC; it's just not gonna happen with the old P4's.
Yes the fan runs continuous. I've been keeping an eye on it now for some time and the fan speed seems to run in sinc with the temp.  62C  2092 RPM - 65C 3237 RPM -   53C  855 RPM
The exact heatsinc that was tried I'm not sure. The fellow that I know at the shop just told me that he tried a much better heatsinc and had the heatsinc been the problem this new one would have cured that. Thks.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »
I'm still looking for a cure to my CPU overheating problem and possibly I'm grasping here but about now I'm ready to try almost anything.
Anyway,the statement below is from Intel Support. And, I'm now wondering if there is any possible chance that this could/would help my overheating concern? I don't have the latest BIOS update but I also don't consider my PC recently built?. And if this is worth a shot, which download would you suggest?. I have listed what I think are the two possibilities below their statement. EB.EXE or IB.EXE.?   My current BIOS version is NT94510J.86A.3814.2006.0414.1513
Size,512KB  Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your computer is overheating and it was recently built, the following tips may resolve your issue:
·   Update the BIOS. Verify you have the latest BIOS and update it if needed.

You can identify your current BIOS version by looking at the BIOS string, which appears during boot-up. You can also display the BIOS version by entering BIOS setup by pressing "F2" during system boot-up. The main page of the BIOS setup includes the BIOS version string. For Intel® Motherboards - example, the version string GB85010A.86A.0046.P05 identifies the BIOS version as P 05.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English: NT94510J.86A.4131.EB.EXE   Download
   Ver:4131   Date:11/29/2009   Size:2538 (KB)   Time @56Kbps:5.88 min

OS:OS Independent, Windows 2000*, Windows Vista 32*, Windows Vista 64*, Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP Professional*   

English: NT94510J.86A.4131.IB.EXE   Download
    Ver:4131   Date:11/29/2009   Size:1202 (KB)   Time @56Kbps:2.78 min

OS:OS Independent, Windows 2000*, Windows Vista 32*, Windows Vista 64*, Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP Professional*   

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »
I highly doubt that a BIOS update will help with the overheating issue.
It sounds to me like a faulty temperature sensor if it's not actually changing under load (as the technicians who looked at it told you).
Check that the heatsink is making good contact - is it getting warm, or not?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »
... And if this is worth a shot, which download would you suggest?. I have listed what I think are the two possibilities below their statement. EB.EXE or IB.EXE.?   My current BIOS version is NT94510J.86A.3814.2006.0414.1513
Size,512KB...
They are the same:  EB.exe updates from Windows, IB.exe updates from DOS.

Express BIOS Update [NT94510J.86A.4131.EB.EXE] - Self-extracting Windows*-based update file includes Software License Agreement and the utility for updating the BIOS. It is designed to be used on Windows* systems. This method is the most commonly used.

Iflash BIOS Update [NT94510J.86A.4131.IB.EXE] - A DOS-based utility to update the BIOS regardless of operating system. Note: this update method cannot be used with Windows* XP 64-bit. It requires a blank floppy diskette, a bootable CD or a bootable USB device.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »
Thanks Calum and Computer_Commando.
if it's not actually changing under load (as the technicians who looked at it told you).
If I led you astray I apologize, but actually the temp. does change under load. What the tech. was surprised at was the fact that the temp. was a constant 62C (BIOS) with no load. Now here's where it becomes confusing (to me anyway) in BIOS 62C ,no load.  -- Under slight load (not in BIOS) 53C? , this temp using "speedfan" or SIW.
Like I mentioned earlier in this thread the CPU temp. varies between approx.53C and 66C. and the fan RPM seems to increase as the temp. rises and vice versa. So my thinking is ,the sensor is probably doing it's job? I would think that the heatsinc is making good contact because they applied new thermal paste and tried the more powerful heatsinc fan. Now as far as the heatsinc being warm, well it is, but doesn't feel that warm, sure isn't hot to the touch. Now this may very well be normal, but the heat and amount of air flow coming from the PSU fan, far exceeds the heat and velocity coming from the case fan?. Anyway,what this actually boils down to is; do you suppose that a CPU temp. of a constant 60-63C is going to burn out the CPU, when the max. recommended temp. is 64.1C?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 02:06:38 PM »
Sorry ... my mistake, I seem to have read your posts wrong.
If the heatsink isn't hot to the touch, t's either making bad contact or the temperature reading is wrong.  I'm not sure what's going on though, so that's all I can say really.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:46:49 PM »
Thanks Calum. It's a puzzle. I would like to think that if it was overheating before I took it in because of poor contact, and they tried a new unit and then replaced the original unit, that one of those times there would have been good contact? So not sure what I'll try next.???

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
It sounds to me like a faulty temperature sensor if it's not actually changing under load (as the technicians who looked at it told you).

I agree with you below too - either it is reading incorrect, or the heat sink is not making good contact.

With the reading wrong, the first P5KPl-CM I had (Still my board now, but I RMA'd the first one) came with a earlier BIOS update on it, and my E7400 wasn't on the support list at that stage. So the machine would boot, but report to be over 100 degrees Celcius, when it was cool to the touch. A BIOS update did fix it, and now it runs cooler than ever with a newer update I ran for my buggy onboard NIC too.

I have updated the BIOS from inside windows a few times, you hold your breath for a minute, and its all over, easy.

If you do decide to update it,  make sure to close all programs, temporarily disable any real time virus/malware scans.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 07:39:18 PM »
Thanks Kurtiscain. I'm leery to play around with the BIOS if that's probably not the cause.I guess what I'm really hoping is that the reading is wrong. At 64C the heat that's being exhausted (only one exhaust fan out the back)from the PC is barely warm with very little velocity? Perhaps the velocity is normal but somehow I thought that I would feel more heat from that fan? Like I mentioned earlier the velocity and heat from the PSU is greater than that of the exhaust fan. Now perhaps that's normal too. I never paid much attention until I ran into this problem.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:24:45 PM »
Thanks Kurtiskain. I'm leery to play around with the BIOS if that's probably not the cause.I guess what I'm really hoping is that the reading is wrong. At 64C the heat that's being exhausted (only one exhaust fan out the back)from the PC is barely warm with very little velocity? Perhaps the velocity is normal but somehow I thought that I would feel more heat from that fan? Like I mentioned earlier the velocity and heat from the PSU is greater than that of the exhaust fan. Now perhaps that's normal too. I never paid much attention until I ran into this problem.

No problems, I realise that BIOS tinkering is somewhat scary for most people :)

The other point to make is;

CPUs like that are designed to slow down with thermal throttling so as to not overheat.
If it gets too high, the BIOS will usually shut the 'system off to avoid damage.