Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bootable Setup Disk for XP SP2  (Read 7000 times)

Floppyman

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Bootable Setup Disk for XP SP2
    « on: June 30, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »
    Hello folks:
                      i h'  Winxp SP2 Boot Disk that is to be written in 6 Floppy Disk first, to be used later. I know it is used to format and go to Recovery Console. This is something i really need. My question is can i make this into a Bootable CD.
                  I tried converting the Floppy to IMG or IMA and extracting its content to a folder n from their made a ISO , But it doesn't boot.

Can someone tell how do i make a Bootable Setup CD for XP SP2, Boot Disk SP3 is not available.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Bootable Setup Disk for XP SP2
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 06:41:17 PM »
    The 6 floppy set is not a full install of XP...it contains the Recovery Console only....
    If your thinking you can make an XP installation CD out of it well good luck.

What is it you are trying to accomplish ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Floppyman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:25:56 AM »
      Well i want the Recovery Console to speak frankly: i downloaded the Setup Disk for XP SP2 and already made aN img file.

I just want to make a Bootable Recovery CD from this images: Any help is greatly appreaciated:

Download Setup BootDisk for Winxp SP2:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Another post for recovery Console:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,106660.0.html

I CD ISO was for XP HOME EDITION: I was looking for a XP SP2 Boot DISC not the INSTALLATION DISC.

BETTER STILL IF I CAN MAKE A BOOTABLE CD FROM THIS 6 IMG FILES.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MAKE ONE: I REALLY NEED IT, I DO FREQUENT SWAPPING OF OS WHICH CHANGES THE MBR AND I FREQUENTLY USE FIXBOOT N FIXMBR CMD.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 08:21:24 AM »
      The Computerhope link you posted has the bootable RC...

Floppyman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:25:52 AM »
        The Recovery Console is for the Home Edition, the MS link has the Setup Boot Disk for XP SP2 , i h' made the IMAGE from the Floppy.

I though may be someone from knows a method to make a Bootable CD for SP2 not the installation DISC. Better still if it can be made for SP3.

Floppyman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:37:44 PM »
          Sometimes i wish if people could read the Post/Reply properly instead of spinning things round and round.

I found a free Utility that will extract the content of the BootDisk and will make an ISO; ready to be burnt on a CD.

It worked like a charm:

• Just download the Attached file (Extract to a Folder).
          • Place rename the Setup BootDisk to BootDisk.exe and run the RecoveryCD.bat.
          • It'll ask if u want to burn to the CD, click Yes. Just notice here an ISO file by the name of XPRC.iso is created. Burn it with BurnCCD or any other Utility.

;)

Now only if i could get a SetupDisk for XP SP3. :-\

Someone holler back if u find a Setup Disk for Win xp SP3 not the Installation Disk.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »

Sometimes i wish if people could read the Post/Reply properly instead of spinning things round and round.

The RC link is not limited to Home or Pro...
          Sometimes others looking for assistance should pay attention and not beat up the Helpers here...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 12:02:05 PM »
          For some reason this smells an awful lot like the "pretend to need assistance, reject all attempts to help, and come up with a miracle cure" spam.

Even more humourous is that they insist that there is a "home edition" recovery console and a "pro edition" recovery console; despite the fact that A:) there isn't, and B:) even if there was, their boot loaders are still the same so "fixboot" and "fixmbr" which they explicitly stated as being what they need it for, would act exactly the same way.

The best part is the ISO they generated from their Floppy disks is functionally identical to the RC.ISO that they claim is for the "home edition". It was created from the a home edition Disc- but the Recovery console and related tools are exactly the same on both home and pro editions.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 02:22:17 PM »
          Well put BC...

Floppyman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:09:02 PM »
            i would like to apologize to patio: may be its because of my bad grammatical error which may not h' got the message across: Which is seen in my Reply #2

Sorry for that, but all i could bring together was the links to make things easier / clearer / and non redundant for anyone who wanted to help out.
                     Relieving half the burden, for them and concentrating more on the issues.

But their is a Setup Disk for Home and Pro Edition: although even i quite agree and don't see much differences in its functionality and use.

Click the links in Reply #2 to download the Setup Disk.
            I m not spamming or pretending BC_Programmer,  man i got more imp things to do than that.
            So far i h' " Searched " on Google to find only this method to work beautifully.
               It was like finding a needle in a hay stack.
             That being said hope Patio will understand n give a positive response, n lets clear the bad air.....yeah

Peace.