Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Speed  (Read 5880 times)

R0SS

Internet Speed
« on: July 21, 2005, 02:13:56 PM »
Hey i currently have broadband (Superfast  >:() with Tiscali.

I have been upgraded from 512Kbps to 1meg. Now when i was running speed tests with 512 i was getting about 300Kbps. Now on the Meg its only about 500kbps.

So thats what i should of got before the upgrade.
What should i do because im not liking this. Should i phone tiscali and tell them to fix it? or is it another prob?

Thanks
Ross

Raptor

Re: Internet Speed
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 02:26:14 PM »
What should i do because im not liking this. Should i phone tiscali and tell them to fix it? or is it another prob?

There is no problem. Tiscali will tell you the near exact same as I am about to say. Well, at least point 1, 3 and 4;

The speed of your cable connection depends on:
  • The amount of users connected at the time of the test
  • The amount of upload you are currently using. The more upload, the less download you can use. This only applies when sending files
  • The location of the server you are downloading from
  • The quality of the connection between you and the server you are downloading
  • Firewalls that are not properly configured and ports that are not properly routed.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 02:34:56 PM by Raptor »

R0SS

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 02:28:29 PM »
oh right.

thanks for the info

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 02:33:43 PM »
    R0SS.....  I am correct in assuming your service provider uses a DSL phone modem aren't I ?

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/aboutus/contact/contact_broadband.html

Give them a call ......it could be as simple as bad phone lines. They should be able to test that easily .....

Cheers
    dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

R0SS

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 02:35:34 PM »
    yeh your right.

Thanks i will give them a phone tomorrow

Ross

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 02:37:35 PM »
    They will tell you what I have allready posted.

According to my cable provider, we have 6Mbps cable. It would simply be impossible to have all the users download at 6Mbps, that would overload their servers and everyone would draw away too much bandwith from eachother which would reduce the speed to a crawl.

In case of (A)DSL, the speed is also influenced by the distance between you and the provider.
    « Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 02:38:20 PM by Raptor »

R0SS

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 03:35:16 PM »
    Yeh you could be right.

It has taken us ages to get broadband in my area because of the distance from the Phone exchange.
    And i have a friend who live a mile away from me who cant get it because they clame that he would onlt get dial up speed because of the distance.

here is what i will do. Seen as i am onlt getting like 500kbps i will get downgraded to that speed and save myself a penny or two.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 05:53:34 PM »
    You may visted tis web form b//b....its a common problem? run this test>http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

I would suggest you run a spyware scan??<real player for one!>i can comment on this isp!!but find another one... ;)  you will not doubt when you loggin to your emails..find ..<spam galore>
    « Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 05:55:22 PM by merlin_2 »

R0SS

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 05:43:32 AM »
    Yeh its telling me 700Kbps.
    Which is ok i think. My internet connction loads web pages just like that, and when i am playing games online its all ok with the pings of the games aroung 79.

My probs are downloading. I only seem to download around 70kbps i have tryed a download speed thing that makes it faster but i onlt got about 76kbps with this.

I have tryed downloading from lots of sources. The worst is www.download.com where i only get 12kbps.

My own website http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/generalplayers i get around 70kbps.

But that could suck because tiscali sucks. I dont really know what to do here. I phoned them today and they clame its BTs fault. So you phone BT and they say its tiscali lol

I used to be with wannadoo but i found extream connection probs with them.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 11:52:40 AM »
    My probs are downloading. I only seem to download around 70kbps i have tryed a download speed thing that makes it faster but i onlt got about 76kbps with this.
    "

Depends on the location and quality of the server you are downloading from.

I never use download accelerators, if you ask me, they're all dodgy.

R0SS

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 02:31:51 PM »
    Yeh i got rid of it. When i tryed to watch movie on the internet insted of buffering it would want to download it.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 03:50:21 PM »
    A lot of websites seem to refuse to work when you install a download accelerator.

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 03:54:26 PM »
    Broardband users ......dont use an accelerator. !!

i would run the spy test ross.......spyware can hold downloading  back......and tis.....is not that good..you will soon be moaned at for excessive.....use......
    ~

R0SS

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 04:57:03 PM »
    yeh well i have done a spyware and adware scan and 115 spyware and like 80 adware was found and removed. it has put the downloading speed up a bit.

i use the trend micro Pc-cillin anti-virus. Do you think its fire wall could be slowing it down? i can do evrything apart from going onto the ZONE to play CFS some how i have to drop the fire wall for that one.

thanks for the info

Ross

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 04:58:55 PM »
    1. Do you think its fire wall could be slowing it down?

2.i can do evrything apart from going onto the ZONE to play CFS some how i have to drop the fire wall for that one.

1. Doubtful. The most common ports should be configured manually.

2. You should better configure your firewall for program access.