Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing WIN 3.1  (Read 13679 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: Installing WIN 3.1
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 04:48:21 AM »
Ah Salmon Trout, if only!

Whoever invented such a thing would make me "Goggle" with amazement.

With motorcycles I find earlier models easier to work on. Computers seem to reverse that principle?

Like my 1946 BSA M21 (side valve single) that ran for miles with a piston that was split in 2 and held together by the rings, as I discovered when I dismantled it.

pantherman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 05:15:57 AM »

Like my 1946 BSA M21 (side valve single) that ran for miles with a piston that was split in 2 and held together by the rings, as I discovered when I dismantled it.

[/quote]

Very nice Salmon Trout. Mine is a much simpler BSA Bantam D14.
    Though when I win the lotto I will again have a P&M Panther 120S one of which I once owned and long for again!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 06:12:47 AM »
    My first bike was a 1954 D1 Bantam with plungers. I later worked at a dealer's (Fowler's Of Bristol) just in time to see the demise of BSA-Triumph (they were still making B175s at the time) My mate got a Panther for £10, a 600 single (I think that was the 100) that came with a Busmar double-adult "chair" (sidecar) that he took off and rode the bike solo. This got a bit hairy on the corners because on a sidecar outfit the bike never leans (hopefully!) so the tyres wear flat (like a car's). In fact I think it probably had special sidecar outfit tyres, and I daresay the frame was none too straight, but what a lot of fun we had. You had a lever on the handlebar that worked a "decompressor" valve in the cylinder head so you could turn it over to the right stroke before starting and another lever to advance the ignition so it didn't kick back and send you flying...

Is your D14 a 3-speed or 4-speed?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 06:16:01 AM »
    P&M Panther

From memory... Phelon & Moore?

pantherman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:20 AM »
      My D14 Bantam is 4 speed with points and coil ignition. Swing Arm rear end.
      Yes Phelon & Moore is correct as is the 100 being 600cc.
      Mine was also attached to a D/A sidecar, but I got it well lined up and it handled fine. Then I am prejudiced, I like outfits! The Panther also had a "half compression lever" on the right side of the crankcase. Lift that and the bike cannot kick back. Forget it and you could soon be airborne! I used to use sidecar tread tyres on it which have a much flatter tread than normal bike tryes.
      I have only been to Fowlers once, about 12yrs ago, for some Yamaha XV parts.

pantherman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        Re: Installing WIN 3.1 SOLVED
        « Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 07:09:23 AM »
        Problem solved. I have been given a computer running WIN 3.1.   ;D