Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shopping for a New Laptop  (Read 6392 times)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Shopping for a New Laptop
    « Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 11:40:44 PM »
    Thanks for the feedback. 

I think it is more of a question of how much do I need to spend rather than how much do I want to spend.  My last laptop that I bought 3.5 years ago is a Panasonic Let's Note CF-W5 model with DVD player / burner on it.  More specifically, it's the CF-W5KW8AXR model (silver in color).  I got it through an online shop here in Japan for slightly under 200,000 yen (about US$2000).  he price was slightly lower than it would have been in the stores.  I was hoping to spend quite a bit less but get much more bang for the buck with this next one.  Perhaps in the US$500-$1,000 range would be reasonable.  I think I could easily do without the DVD drive and simply buy one to connect if necessary.   

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 05:27:54 PM »
      Had some experience with these when they 1st came out. Then they were nearly indestructible --but they sure were NOT light weight.However now they are proclaiming the "lightness" of them and still touting the sturdiness of them. Might want to have a look at them. http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/toughbook-products.asp truenorth

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 05:59:11 PM »
        Basically, I have the same type of machine but the Japanese version - which is called Let's Note rather than Toughbook.  Overall, it's been a pretty good machine for the past 3.5 years despite a few problems (most of which were fixed under warranty). 

I was hoping to buy something new but not spend $2,000 on it.  My feeling is that by spending a lot more money you probably aren't buying a longer life (say for example with a car).  I believe this because as everyone knows computer quickly get outdated.  I also believe that paying a lot more may not be connected with a laptop's durability.  More often than not, the high cost is associated with the brand and / or certain components that I probably don't need for my usage. 

Again, my primary needs are:

Lightweight / Durability
        Speed (applications and online) & memory (running a few apps simultaneously)
        Battery Life

Beyond those things, I suppose I don't need anything special.  There are a few things I would like to change about my current Panasonic Let's Note, but otherwise, it's been a good machine (however, fairly expensive for my needs).

dwegiel

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 11:57:40 AM »
          A panasonic toughbook sounds like what you need. Though "lightweight" doesn't really go with them.

RexEddie

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »
            I think 4G is plenty. You can do anything you want from what you've said. While your at it get the best Windows program they've got, it will turn out cheaper in the long run. I will tell you this, I used to be in the furniture business, I could sell an identical couch for $100 and to another for $500, the $500 one always lasted longer. Point is it doesn't matter sometimes how much you pay but how well you take care