Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CMOS Problems  (Read 2214 times)

SicofPuters

Topic Starter

• Oi Vey
    CMOS Problems
    « on: July 15, 2010, 12:25:47 AM »
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new in more ways than one . . .

So here's my problem. A couple weeks ago, I overheated my laptop and had to buy a new adapter via internet. It's a Toshiba Satellite A105 series. I tried very hard to keep this from happening, but living in the hottest city in the state doesn't exactly help . . .

So my laptop has been off for a few weeks now. Today I got the new adapter. Plugged it up. Turned it on. It ran just fine for about an hour. Of course, there were problems with the clock that I knew about but chose to ignore for the time being . . .

Then I get on the internet and download some customized stuff for a pc game, and that's where the problems began. One file had a virus and screwed up my computer. I restarted it intent on using system restore. The computer has since failed to boot completely.

After the Toshiba loading screen, all I get is a black screen while the computer continues running. I already tried removing the CMOS battery. It's the kind that doesn't remove. Then I tried setting the configurations to default. That didn't work either. And I couldn't possibly leave my laptop on for 24 hours straight because it would most certainly overheat again.

My last resort would be to just have a new battery installed, but I live in a very small town and I know that it won't happen right away. I need my laptop back a.s.a.p.  :(

Is there anything else I can do? Or am I just screwed? Please help!!!!

Thank you....... :'(

SicofPuters

Topic Starter

• Oi Vey
      Re: CMOS Problems
      « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 01:36:54 AM »
      Ok I found out it was a virus after all. A BIOS virus that is keeping my laptop from booting. This being a Toshiba laptop, it did not come with an OS cd, but a recovery cd that would wipe my computer clean. I REALLY need to backup my data, but how can I do that when I can't even boot up in safe mode? It hangs in safe mode at isapnp every time.  If someone could help me out, I would be very much obliged.

Thanks.....

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: CMOS Problems
      « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »
      Grab one of these...

About 8 Bucks.. 2.5" .laptop to IDE connecter...enables you to remove the laptop drive (easy) and connect it to any working desktop machine to retrieve your data...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "