Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XCOPY  (Read 5058 times)

jklangen

Topic Starter

Rookie

XCOPY
    « on: July 13, 2010, 02:55:51 PM »
    I have used XCOPY quite a bit on XP with no issues.  Now that I have upgraded to Windows 7 (HP180t, Intel Core i7, 9GB, 64 bit) xcopy as run on XP comes back with:

File not found - *.*
    0 File(s) copied

C:\Users\my name\Documents\Xcopy>

I am using the GUI version of the tool which executes the command:

xcopy "C:\Users\My Name\My Documents" "K:\My Documents Home 071310" /D /S /Y

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Jim

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XCOPY
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 04:25:31 PM »
    If you needed to copy hundreds of files from one local hard disk to another or from one system to another across a network, would you perform the operation from Windows Explorer? Possibly. However, if you wanted to do something fancy, such as copy only those files that have changed on or after a certain date or maybe copy only those files that have the archive bit set, performing the operation in Windows Explorer would be time consuming and difficult. So you’d probably shell out to a Command Prompt window and use the good old DOS-based XCopy command, along with its detailed set of switches.

Microsoft tried to do away with the XCopy command in Vista (when you run xcopy /? you see the message NOTE: Xcopy is now deprecated, please use Robocopy) in favor of its powerful cousin, Robocopy. But too many XCopy fans must have complained, because XCopy is back in Windows 7, and there’s even a new switch added to the extensive list.

Since XCopy is still a viable file management tool, I updated the XCopy Tool, an HTML application I created back in 2002. This updated version, which you can download for free, works in Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

More info...

To my knowledge in the Full ver. of Win7 XCopy works fine...
    Is this the RC or a torrent version? ?
    Works fine here...Win7Ultimate 32/64 bit both...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

Re: XCOPY
    « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »
    Here's your problem, I believe:

quote author=jklangen

I am using the GUI version of the tool which executes the command:

xcopy "C:\Users\My Name\My Documents" "K:\My Documents Home 071310" /D /S /Y

/quote

Lose that "My" and the space. Default W7 location for documents folder is [Drive:]\Users\Name\Documents. "My Documents" is a "special folder" that does not actually exist, that is attached to each user account.

I don't mind people knowing my name...

Code: [Select]
    C:\Users\Mike>dir /w "c:\users\mike\Documents"
     Volume in drive C is Win07
     Volume Serial Number is E4DB-A92A

Directory of c:\users\mike\Documents

[.]                      [..]                     [amazon]                 [antivirus]              [Ask and Record Toolbar]
    [Attachments]            AutoHotkey.ahk           AutoItImage.jpg          AutoItImage2.jpg         backup.log
    [Barbies Documents]      blackbox-keys.txt        [blank pages]            [blueyonder ISP]         [Booklet]
    [Bookmarks]              [Business Card]          [cable modems]           [Canon IP4200 printer]   [cat stuff]
    cc_20070426_0924.reg     cc_20091225_135955.reg   [cd dvd covers]          Copy of backupN.log      [coruna]
    [CTI]                    [cuisine]                [custom papers]          [CV 2005]                [Downloads]
    [ellion dvd player]      [eMule Downloads]        [French]                 [GomPlayer]              [Hays]
    hello.txt                [Historias minimas]      [house repairs]          [html]                   ISO1_DVD.nri
    [Jobs]                   [Jobseekers Allowance]   [letters]                [lexmark]                [maps]
    [misc-doc]               [Moyea]                  [My Albums]              [My Data Sources]        [My DVD Backups]
    [My Library]             [My PSP8 Files]          [My Recordings]          [My Virtual Machines]    [Newsbin Download]
    [newsdata]               [Nick web page UNL]      [nvq]                    [PassMark]               [pc-tech]
    [Phone numbers]          [photo paper]            [PINS vacancy]           [printer test pages]     [pwd-prot]
    rss.xml                  [rwin calcs]             [seagate]                [Seagate Hard Drive]     [SmallBasic]
    [SnagIt]                 [SnagIt Catalog]         [spreadsheet]            [ssa spec doc]           [st62k manual]
    [Sustrans vacancy]       [test]                   [The KMPlayer]           Thumbs.db                [TV Licensing]
    [Vacances]               [Virtual Machines]       world.txt
                  13 File(s)      1,880,329 bytes
                  70 Dir(s)  74,851,790,848 bytes free

C:\Users\Mike>dir /w "c:\users\mike\My Documents"
     Volume in drive C is Win07
     Volume Serial Number is E4DB-A92A

Directory of c:\users\mike\My Documents

File Not Found

C:\Users\Mike>