Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Make back-up copy of Read Only DVD disk  (Read 3599 times)

edwardmc47

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Make back-up copy of Read Only DVD disk
    « on: August 28, 2010, 08:56:08 AM »
    I am NOT trying to circumvent any form of copy protection. I am just trying to make a copy of a disk for my own personal use and as a backup. This is not commercial software that will be copied.

The problem I am having and need help with is. How to make copies of a read only DVD memorial disk from the wake/funeral of my mother. The funeral home does give you the first copy, as part of the funeral costs. Then they sell copies, but that is costly. The disk contains old pictures/photographs, printed documents, letters sent to her, etc. And has a music background.  The disk does not play on the computer, but plays fine on DVD player. It has two folders on it one is audio the other is video. I have tried diskcopy, copy E drive, various copying programs, some being, DVD Fab, DVD shrink, Ashampoo Burning Studio. But all seemed to come up with a read error of one kind or another. And will not allow me to make a copy. I look forward to someone being able to give me some kind of answer that will allow me to copy the memorial disk. Any help I can get would be very much appreciated.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Make back-up copy of Read Only DVD disk
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 09:09:58 AM »
    I am NOT trying to circumvent any form of copy protection.
    Yes, you are. this funeral home, for whatever reason, applies copy protection to the disks they give you to prevent you from copying them. Unfortunately circumventing <ANY> form of protection by any entity is considered a crime as per the DMCA. It doesn't matter if that entity is Adobe, Microsoft, or a funeral home.  Even if you aren't in a jurisdiction governed by the DMCA (I'm in Canada and therefore it doesn't affect me, for example) the Site is still hosted on US servers and as stated in the forum rules and Legal information pages all content on the site is required to adhere to U.S law and more specifically the laws of the state of Utah. And when we clicked that "I agree" button during registration we agreed to these terms. It is unfortunate that this law doesn't suddenly change or dissapear when it would be convenient for it to. (hmm, that sounds sort of sarcastic, but it's not)

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.