Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: swapping hard drives  (Read 2974 times)

lowlandman

Topic Starter

Starter

swapping hard drives
    « on: July 26, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »
    I have a Sony Vio laptop that is running on XP  It needs a new battery and the connection to charge is failing.  I also have a HP that works fine that my son only uses to get on internet.  Can i replace hard drive from sony to the HP without loosing all my programs and work?

truenorth

Guru

Re: swapping hard drives
      « Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:00:18 PM »
      i am uncertain as to your real objective here.
      1.Are you simply trying to gain access to the data that is on the Sony HD and want to use the HP to have access to it while leaving the current HP HD in place. The short answer to that question is yes--but you may need to install the Vaio HD in an external case to do that.
      2. Are you asking if you can remove the HD from the HP and then relpace it with the HD from the Vaio.If so the short answer is no. Your Vaio HD has a home within which it is comfortable and knows everything else that it resides with. When it goes into the HP and looks around it knows no one. All the hardware and configurations are those that the HP HD knew but the Vaio doesn't know.
      If these 2 options are either of what you are trying to do then i hope it is clear. Of course another option is to either replace the Vaio battery or run it with a specific vaio power supply unit. You will be restricted to using it only where 110v household current is available however. truenorth

lowlandman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
        the answer is 2  I wanted to put the HD into the HP and retreive all my data and programs  Your answer is what I thought.  If I get an external hard drive reader, can I use it to access the data.  The amount of data is large and I really don't want to loose it

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »
          Well while you want to use option #2 to achieve in reality what is option #1 then depending on the current state of the vaio you have some alternatives to how you can achieve your objective which i shall go into shortly.However 1st i am curious as to why you are going the way you are when it appears that other than a power supply (source of power) issue which can be quite easily solved you are going the data recovery route.Do you intend to discard the Vaio?
            Now if in fact (even though it be of short duration) if you do have some time that the vaio stays on and useable then you can transfer your data with a flash drive (least expensive).Please tell us how long currently you can use the Vaio before it depletes power from the battery.Then you can transfer the retrieved data to the HP. This may take a few transfers depending on the size of the files,the size of the flash drive,and the length of time you have access to the vaio.
           The next option is to purchase a power pack that is suitable for the Vaio (a Sony one would be the most expensive). However there are units that are sold that are designed to work with your model computer that will not be made by Sony but will equally do the job and be much cheaper. They can easily be found with a google search.
            Then you would be able to transfer but also able to continue the use of the Vaio with the limitation i already mentioned. Personally if all that is wrong with the Vaio is a run down battery and a lack of a power pack that is the way i would go. It should not be appreciably more expensive than my next option.
             Which is to purchase a portable case that that will allow you to remove and install the Vaio HD in it and connect it to the vaio with a USB cable and run it as a slave HD to the HP.
            So now you are at decision making time. We will gladly assist you to find or implement whatever route you chose to go. There are some additional details (particularly with the last suggestion that will be needed--not costing money-- that you will need to apply). But forget about just transferring the vaio HD to the HP. We remain available to assist you as required. truenorth

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:01:12 AM »
          Slave Drive Tutorial...

This will allow you to retrieve your important data beforehand...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
            We do know that the Vaio is a laptop. We do not know if the HP is also. However given that the Vaio is a laptop the instructions that patio is sharing via the link are applicable to a 'desktop". Your procedures for a laptop while having the same end result will be different than those given on the link.truenorth

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:47:48 AM »

2.5" Laptop to IDE connector...

"Bout 8 Bucks at any PC shop...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "