Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MacGuyvering a Bluetooth Printer  (Read 2413 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
MacGuyvering a Bluetooth Printer
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »
So my printer doesn't have Bluetooth capability built in.

I tried doing some Google searching, but I think my limited vocabulary is making it difficult to find what I want, so I'll throw it to you guys (apparently, words like "thing", and "hoozit" aren't helpful).

I'd like to ADD Bluetooth capability to my printer.

So I was thinking - if I got a micro-USB (male) to USB (female) cable (if such a thing exists), and plugged in a Bluetooth dongle, and plugged THAT contraption into the printer, would it do anything? I'm guessing not, because I'd have no way of addressing it.

So is there a hoozit available that allows this? I was looking at "Bluetooth print servers", and I *think* that's what I want.

The end result is, I have three guys with laptops working in a trailer. We can walk over to the printer and plug into the USB cable and print, but one of 'em is a fat *censored*, and I always forget to unplug the network cable before I move with my laptop, so a wireless option would be cool.

Preferably under $40.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: MacGuyvering a Bluetooth Printer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:42:04 PM »
Must be Bluetooth. We don't have access to the local WAN.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Salmon Trout

Re: MacGuyvering a Bluetooth Printer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
Must be Bluetooth. We don't have access to the local WAN.

THis is a 2 device requirement. Your computer has a bluetooth dongle and your printer has something like this Bluetooth Printer Adapter