Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Failing - ECC Errors - Windows XP  (Read 17897 times)

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Hard Drive Failing - ECC Errors - Windows XP
    « Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
    Your drive is failing the diagnostic tests. Copy critical data and replace it. Or don't - it's up to you.

I already have backups of my critical data, and am currently trying to find a new drive and good method of cloning or whatever so I can replace this one. But I would like to take the time to do it correctly, rather than risking messing up the computer worse by trying to hurry, running out right now and grabbing the first drive I see or following the first set of directions I find only to discover that they won't work and I'm stuck with no computer at all. What I'm asking is, do you think I have time to do that? I'm hoping to get this taken care of by the end of this week (preferably sooner), I don't mean a month from now or something like that.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »
    There's no way to know. The drive can die in five minutes or five months. And don't overthink getting a new drive - it's just not that big of a deal.

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 05:26:11 PM »
      There's no way to know. The drive can die in five minutes or five months. And don't overthink getting a new drive - it's just not that big of a deal.

I think it's a big deal if I get a drive that's incompatible with my system (137gb limit) and it somehow fries the rest of the hardware, or if I can't use the disk I get and end up not being able to switch back to the one I have now, or to not be able to install Windows, or a bunch of other things that could go wrong. I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing so I don't screw it up.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 06:09:42 PM »
      I think it's a big deal...
      Format it & reinstall Windows & see if that will fix it for you.  That's your only options short of buying a new drive.

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 03:50:17 PM »
        Quote from: Computer_Commando
        Format it & reinstall Windows & see if that will fix it for you.  That's your only options short of buying a new drive.

Actually I've already made up my mind that I need to get a new drive, so that's okay. If I format this one I lose everything; if I can't get Windows to reinstall of the drive fails at that point, I have no computer. At least if I get a new drive and clone this one to it or fresh install I might be able to switch back to the old drive if something goes wrong.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 04:02:46 PM »
        I think it's a big deal if I get a drive that's incompatible with my system (137gb limit) and it somehow fries the rest of the hardware, or if I can't use the disk I get and end up not being able to switch back to the one I have now, or to not be able to install Windows, or a bunch of other things that could go wrong. I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing so I don't screw it up.
        First of all, you can partition your drive any way you want and use as large a drive as you like. Second, a hd cannot "fry" your hardware. I wasn't being flip - it's not a big deal - though you are certainly trying to make it one.

THE DRIVE IS FAILING THE DIAGNOSTICS. How does formatting and reinstalling the OS fix that?

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
          First of all, you can partition your drive any way you want and use as large a drive as you like. Second, a hd cannot "fry" your hardware. I wasn't being flip - it's not a big deal - though you are certainly trying to make it one.

Sorry - I'm kind of on edge, it's scary when something goes wrong with your computer and you don't know what to do.  :'( Doing something like the really is a big deal to me, because I've never done it before.

About the HD size though, I can't just pop in a 500gb drive because my BIOS may only be able to access 137gb. I'm hoping if I put Windows on a partition smaller than that it will help avoid any problems with data loss etc.

THE DRIVE IS FAILING THE DIAGNOSTICS. How does formatting and reinstalling the OS fix that?

Yeah - I'm not going to try to fix this disk, it's 5 years old with errors on it... Just trying to figur eout the best route to replacing it with a new one.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 05:45:01 AM »
          Again, with almost any bios you can use a larger drive, just create partitions smaller than 137Gb (which is smart to do anyway.)

Also, see if there is a bios upgrade available for your system. That could solve the whole 137Gb limitation problem.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 11:25:03 AM »
          ECC errors can usually be fixed by formatting the drive.  That's what the diagnostic told him to do.  This happened to me a couple days ago on a Seagate notebook drive.  Diagnostics passed, formatted drive, problem solved.

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »
            Again, with almost any bios you can use a larger drive, just create partitions smaller than 137Gb (which is smart to do anyway.)

Also, see if there is a bios upgrade available for your system. That could solve the whole 137Gb limitation problem.

I'd feel safer just leaving the BIOS the way it is and partitioning the drive. Now that I've read more about partitioning I see what you mean about it being a good idea anyway.

Truthfully I'm not even positive the BIOS won't see the whole drive, but my mobo is from 2001 (right around the time the 48-it addressing thing started happening) so I'm assuming it won't (manual doesn't say anything about it) and going for the contingency plan. If it does end up seeing the whole thing that's just a bonus I guess!

ECC errors can usually be fixed by formatting the drive.  That's what the diagnostic told him to do.  This happened to me a couple days ago on a Seagate notebook drive.  Diagnostics passed, formatted drive, problem solved.

Yes, but like I said if I format it I lose everything. I already got the new drive and I'm working up the courage to try a fresh XP install on it, but knowing I have the old drive to fall back on if I need to is a security blanket. I could always try formatting the old drive once I get the new one working so I can keep using it as a second drive right? And then if it just fails at least I would be up and running.

BTW thank you for the input guys

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »
            You're welcome. But if your bios is the original release from 2001 you really should update it.

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »
              You're welcome. But if your bios is the original release from 2001 you really should update it.

I can't, there isn't an update for it. The company (Chaintech) doesn't make motherboards anymore, doesn't support their old ones and doesn't have anything available for them on their website.  >:(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
              I can't just pop in a 500gb drive

Yes you can. wether your BIOS recognizes the entire thing isn't really relevant. Wether yo uget a new 80GB or a 500GB, it's going to be better then what you already have because the drive you have is failing. If you don't get your data off of it, it's  gone. You have no way of knowing exactly <when> it will go ,but in my experience there is no set method in which they go. as Allan said- it can pretty much die anytime. The point is; what if it dies while your agonizing over the details of your new drive and presenting theories on you BIOS limitations? Then it won't really matter much, will it.

Partition size is completely out of context as far as the BIOS is concerned. of the 137GB limit is anything like the ~32GB limit, BIOS's may simply freeze at startup, or when it attempts to access the drive. Thankfully, almost all IDE drives have cylinder reduction jumper settings to 32GB and 137GB so aside from wasted space your agonizing over a non issue. Installing a drive isn't going to fry your computer except in the very rarest of circumstances, and if you're going to worry about that, you better start worrying about getting hit by lightning on a clear sunny day, or that one day you'll walk outside your house and be attacked by a naked midget with a bazooka. Same chances.

Lastly: you've only referred to the motherboard as "motherboard from 2001" and other rather vague indications. Can you give the entire model number so <we> can actually research for the relevant information too? (that is, wether it can work with 48-bit addressing,BIOS update availability, etc)

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 09:36:42 AM »
                To address your concern (very valid in my opinion) of the difficulties that may arise from reformatting or installing a "replacement" HDD in that computer may i suggest the following. Though i have never used one apparently software programs exist that will backup (to your medium of choice) the current drivers associated with your computer. Then they can be reinstalled on the formatted or new HDD and will duplicate precisely the drivers that were there previously and supposedly eliminate the problems associated with otherwise lost drivers that you might have difficulty finding. Or even know what is missing. There was one offered very recently on the "giveawayoftheday" web site. However i cannot remember which one of the many that are in their archive that it was. Maybe another member might remember or have a specific recommendation in that area. Here is the link to the site that lists a number of those type of programs.
                http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/search_soft/?string=driver+backup&x=53&y=18
                I hope this will assist you to resolve your problem with as little problem as possible. good luck,truenorth

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 02:29:23 PM »
                  Yes you can. wether your BIOS recognizes the entire thing isn't really relevant.

I read in several places (including Microsoft's site) that if you use a HDD larger than 137gb on a system that doesn't support 48-bit addressing you would lose data and Windows would eventually become corrupted. But I think that's referring to both the BIOS _and_ Windows XP. If that's the case, since I have SP1 (with 48-bit addressing) it isn't an issue.

After all this, I'm starting to realize (more than I already did) that 99% of people on message boards don't know what they're talking about. I've been told a million different things with no backup whatsoever.

Logically I assume if Windows can't access anything past 137gb on the drive (by installing it on a smaller partition) it can't put any important information in a space where the BIOS can't get to it, which means BIOS will never have a problem loading Windows. And if, while using Windows, the partition gets full, it would just say "Hey this disk is full", it won't automatically wrap around to the beginning and start overwriting files there like people say it will if you don't have 48-bit addressing and don't partition the hard drive to smaller size, or start writing to another partition on the drive and overwrite files there.

Wether yo uget a new 80GB or a 500GB, it's going to be better then what you already have because the drive you have is failing. If you don't get your data off of it, it's  gone.

All my data is already backed up (most twice, some of it three times).

The point is; what if it dies while your agonizing over the details of your new drive and presenting theories on you BIOS limitations? Then it won't really matter much, will it.

What if I just went and did it, and messed it up worse because I didn't know what I was doing? ;)

Installing a drive isn't going to fry your computer except in the very rarest of circumstances, and if you're going to worry about that, you better start worrying about getting hit by lightning on a clear sunny day, or that one day you'll walk outside your house and be attacked by a naked midget with a bazooka. Same chances.

LOL

Lastly: you've only referred to the motherboard as "motherboard from 2001" and other rather vague indications. Can you give the entire model number so <we> can actually research for the relevant information too? (that is, wether it can work with 48-bit addressing,BIOS update availability, etc)

It's Chaintech Apogee 7VJL. if you can find any info that would be great, but I and other people have looked and not found any. As I said, Chaintech doesn't do motherboards anymore, doesn't have any info for them on their site, and doesn't respond to messages about them. Archive.org has some of the drivers that were available on the site before they removed that section, but there' no way I'm going install new drivers haphazardly just to see what they do.

In any event, I did buy the 500gb drive on Sunday, installed it yesterday (well, plugged the cables from the old drive into the new drive and left the new one sitting on the bottom of the computer enclosure so I can switch back if I need to) and clean installed Windows XP on a 120gb partition. (The cloning process failed because of sector read errors so I gave up on it.) Not surprisingly, the motherboard only sees 136gb of the new drive, but Windows does load fine. Started installing some hardware (sound card is working) but now I can't get the network connections working. I will have to post a new message to see if anyone has input on that.

In the meantime I've switched back to the old drive so I can try to get some help. I'm posting this message from the old drive, so thankfully it was correct that you can just plug the old drive back in and go back to what you have before.

BTW I do understand what you're saying about overthinking the process, but I'm not some computer tech guy who's familiar with these things. I've never even installed Windows myself before, let alone installing a new hard drive--I didn't know anything about formatting and partitioning--and before I could do it I needed to find out as much information as possible so make sure I didn't do something wrong. I didn't know anything about any of this it until a few days ago. It's a lot of information to absorb in a short time and I needed second opinions.