Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pc no longer recognises cd writer as such  (Read 11492 times)

Raptor

Re: pc no longer recognises cd writer as such
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 08:27:42 AM »
how do i assign a new drive letter.

I have not done this before, as I have never found the need to do so, but you may wish to give it a try:

1. Right click on My Computer
2. Manage
3. Storage tree
4. Storage management
5. Right click on the partition/ hard disk drive in question
6. Assign new path/station letter

merlin_2

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005, 04:22:13 PM »

darthpaul

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 05:04:10 PM »
greetings, back to the long pathways thing. could there be any thing in it, if the long pathways registry was altered could that have any bearing on my problems. also yesterday pc announced it couldn't acces norton subscription info which is definately upto date. could this all be linked by a registryt value problem rather than faulty hardware?

Raptor

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 06:33:44 PM »
greetings, back to the long pathways thing. could there be any thing in it, if the long pathways registry was altered could that have any bearing on my problems. also yesterday pc announced it couldn't acces norton subscription info which is definately upto date. could this all be linked by a registryt value problem rather than faulty hardware?

What exactly is the error message you are given concering registry values?

There is no harm in trying registry cleaners. As long as you are careful and create back-ups:

Easy Cleaners
-- Freeware registry scanner
Registrar Lite
-- Excellent replacement for Windows Regedit
Crap Cleaner
-- Freeware registry scanner/history cleaner

Caution is advised when using these programs!
Create backups of all important files before proceeding.

merlin_2

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 06:42:40 PM »
So is it a cdrom/drive or a burner! this was your question and appears to be un solved!So where are we now..under the sea seeking....what happens>>out in outer space..........No we arrive at this>using windows media it announces that i do not have a burner

solved!

darthpaul

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 01:53:48 AM »
 afraid i cannot exactly recall the message but it mentiond thatr it was unable to carry out some task as the registry value for long pathways had been changed and then gave instructions how to change it back. this was after the virus had been cleaned using TRENDmicro. if i recall the task was to do with norton virus scanning, unable to access some files or such like. sorry i cant be more accurate, i was unawqare of the importance of the message at the time.
     the cd drive is a cd-rw that the pc no longer recognises as such. since the virus attack i am unable to burn anything to cd as the pc insists that there is no cd writing capabilities, which is contradicted by the stack of cd's i have sitting next to the pc. anything from backup files to my digital camera pictures of my baby girl, it refuses to burn anything to disc, either via windows xp, nero 6 or windows media 10. all of which in the past happily burnt various formats onto cd. this all seemed to coincide with the virus attack and after the cleanup, the message about long pathways registry values. do you think that there may be a link or just coincidence, thank you raptor for the registry links, ishall let you know how it goes. if you do not hear from me soon thenb yuo can presume that the pc learnt how to fly from a third storey window!

Raptor

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 05:53:04 AM »
What software are you using to copy data?

merlin_2

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 05:52:59 PM »
Reload the cd/rw burner drivers.....

darthpaul

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2005, 04:22:03 PM »
sorry about delay in getting back, have been away. software used to write onto disk.... media 10,  xp disk writer, nero 6, all unsuccessful.  drive now desrcibed as inaccessible, or have i said that already.

merlin_2

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005, 04:32:07 PM »
Try another cd/rw drive........

darthpaul

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2005, 05:30:51 PM »
please excuse my ignorance but haven't i only got one cd rw drive... the one that isn't working?

darthpaul

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2005, 05:35:13 PM »
?

darthpaul

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2005, 05:38:10 PM »
what do you mean we have two

merlin_2

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2005, 05:38:24 PM »
Buy a new  drive................