Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP - Installing chipset drives - What does it do?  (Read 3191 times)

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows XP - Installing chipset drives - What does it do?
    « on: August 03, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »
    I just clean-installed XP onto a new hard drive, but didn't install the chipset drivers from the disc that came with the board. I'm having trouble with my D-Link ethernet addon card (posted here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,108373.0.html)

Someone told me I should install the chipset drivers right away, before installing anything else, and that that might be causing the "network cable unplugged" error. However, the other components I tried seem to be functioning fine (the integrated USB hub on the front of the case works, the SB Audigy soundcard addon and its front hub work, etc) so I don't see why the D-Link card should be the only one malfunctioning.

When I installed the new hard drive, I left the old one in as well so I could switch back in case the new one didn't work out. I'm using the old HD to post this message.

I don't know if the chipset drivers are even installed on this old HD. Is there any way to check?

If I do install the VIA 4-in-1 driver from the mobo installation CD onto the new installation of XP on the new hard drive, will it make any changes directly to the motherboard that would cause the old HD I'm using now to stop working or not load up? Or is it all contained entirely in that specific Windows installation?

And can I uninstall the driver afterward if something goes wrong? Will it go back to the XP default drivers it's using now?

I'm also confused because mobo manual says the chipset is VIA KT333 + VT8235 dual chip APGset. There are two "legacy" chipset drivers on the VIA website and neither mentions this exact chipset pair:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

I saw mention on another VIA page that the second (older) driver works for the KT333 but it didn't mention the VT8235. I have the CD that came with the mobo that has "Via service pack", and according to the manual it installs the 4-in-1 driver. I doubt the version on the CD is older then the one on the website (since the website one is from 2001). But I'm still cautious to install it in case it causes the old HD to no longer be able to function with the motherboard.

My motherboard is a Chaintech Apogee 7VJL, which is no longer supported and Chaintech no longer hosts any drivers specifically for it.

Does anybody have any advice?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows XP - Installing chipset drives - What does it do?
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »
    Yes, I have worked with that.
    Install the drivers on the CD.
    It is needed to make things work.
    It does not alter the motherboard.
    New drivers are available on the web site.
    But the old ones work with XP.

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:34:39 PM »
      Yes, I have worked with that.

You mean you've worked with the 7VJL motherboard?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:20:17 AM »
      No, VIA 4-in-1 driver, which are widely used.

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 03:55:30 PM »
        Is there a way I can see if the chipset drivers are installed on my original HD? I don't know where to look

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 04:09:17 PM »
        Go into the control panel, use the classic view.
        Select system and find device manager.
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658

How to manage devices in Windows XP

Managing devices with Device Manager
        Device Manager provides a graphical view of the hardware that is installed on the computer, as well as the device drivers and resources associated with that hardware. Using Device Manager provides a central point to change the way the hardware is configured and interacts with the computer's microprocessor.
        .... (click  link for full article)

But sure to read the whole page, some good  links are at the bottom.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 04:13:28 PM »
        If there are no errors in device manager, the chipset drivers are almost certainly installed.