Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP and 7 on same DVD  (Read 3281 times)

Jaymie1989

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Windows XP and 7 on same DVD
    « on: August 06, 2010, 04:11:10 PM »
    Hey,

I saw some articles somewhere that you could have Windows XP and Vista/7 on the same DVD so it can be bootable and you have the option on which one to install.

I was thinking of customizing my XP and 7 with nLite and 7Customizer and then hopefully booting them to from one single DVD.

Could anyone point me into the right direction on a article/tutorial on this.

I have spent hours on Google and I can no longer find it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows XP and 7 on same DVD
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 04:44:07 PM »
    Somehow that does not sound like a product from MS.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 04:53:43 PM »
    Somehow that does not sound like a product from MS.

It doesn't, does it? Sounds like something you could buy in a bazaar. I suggest the OP Googles for "illegal piracy" or "breach EULA" or "copyright law".

Jaymie1989

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 08:48:43 PM »
      Its not an MS product its an product like vlite, and other such tools to customize it.

If I could find an easy way to create a dos boot menu like the screen when you dual boot and two OS' then I could just write the instillation to DVD (If they both fit, Which they should) then I can add the DOS boot menu to startup first with the two options.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 12:38:30 AM »
      We know that vlite and similar are not MS products. The things that vlite does to MS products is against the EULA and produces results ideal for piracy and/or illegal distribution.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:57:46 AM by Salmon Trout »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:41:55 PM »
      10-9-8-7....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »
        There are perfectly legitimate uses for the likes of nLite, vLite, etc.:

1) Slipstreaming, particularly things that don't slipstream well by conventional means (i.e.: Internet Explorer 8 and its hotfixes, Windows Media Player 11 and its hotfixes, etc. into Windows XP install). 

2) Combining multi-CD installs to one DVD is another (i.e.: XP Media Center Edition). 

3) Automating the installation of the OS beyond the parameters of winnt.sif (or the answer file used in question). 

In fact, vLite is fine with Microsoft as long as you download the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK, same thing used to create Windows PE discs). 

I get that there are Microsoft-supported methods for slipstreaming most things (i.e.: hotfixes, Service Packs, some drivers) that don't involve the "Lites"--usually by using the command line and switches after the .exe or .msu file and specifying the location of the source files, which are typically copied from the installation media to a hard drive location...

I don't think having two Windows installation sources on one DVD alone is illegitimate in and of itself.  In fact, it can be done with Windows PE and some scripts.  If it is, then mapping a network drive to multiple installation sources at a company with legitimate volume licenses/MAKs/KMSes of XP/Vista/7 would be illegitimate.  If anything, it's a perfectly legitimate option for deployment in a business.

If the "Lites" are used for illegitimate use, then it's because the user already has a non-legitimate product in the first place.  If the OP is using pirated keys, then of course it's illegitimate (and using even one of those sources by any means would be).  The use of a "Lite" alone does not automatically make the product illegitimate, unless, somehow, the user reverse-engineers the installation source to a degree that violates the EULA?
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.