Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: anyting i need to kno b4 buying w7  (Read 3570 times)

gaarazgurl

Topic Starter

Rookie

anyting i need to kno b4 buying w7
    « on: August 08, 2010, 10:43:07 PM »
    i just wanna kno before i upgrade from xp

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: anyting i need to kno b4 buying w7
      « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:14:55 AM »
      1) Know the specs of your computer, like RAM, CPU, etc.  Failing that, know how old your computer is.  If it's going on ten years old or something, it's probably not a good idea to go to Windows 7.

2) Know if the programs you're running will actually work with Windows 7.  Many do, many don't.

3) Know if you want to install 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7.  The main advantage of 64-bit is being able to use more than 4 GB of RAM in Windows without workarounds/hacks/etc.  The disadvantage is that ALL of your hardware must have 64-bit drivers (scanners, printers, and whatnot). 
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:19:19 AM »
      There is no direct upgrade path from XP To 7, so you'll have to do a clean install. Check the Windows 7 upgrade adviser before doing anything: http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

lostcoast

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:50:29 AM »
       You should think about dual booting XP and win7.  It has many advantages when it comes to games and software compatibility and such.

If you are a student you may be eligible for win7 Academic Licensed for $30.
      I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.