Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connection speed problems (Help)  (Read 7397 times)

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Connection speed problems (Help)
    « on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:12 AM »
    I have a crappy Dell with even crappier Windows Vista.

I'm having connection speed problems. It goes from 54 to 48 to 36 to 24 to 1 to 2 to 5 to 11 to 18 Mbps. It's a home network. My internet is Road Runner from Time Warner Cable. I've already had someone come to my home once to try to fix the problem. Obviously... that didn't work. The computer in question is a computer upstairs in my home. The computer the router is connected to is a computer downstairs, on my first floor, in my dining room in my home. I believe what detects the wireless is a Dell Wireless Antenna, which is a small black box that is physically screwed in to the back of the tower of the computer. At least... I think that's what is detecting the wireless.

I'm getting tired of one problem after another on this computer and I want a freaking new one. I've seen MANY that I would LOVE to have on QVC, but I'm not rich enough for ANY of them and plus QVC is expecting you to pay $100-some dollars to pay off the computer in 5-6 months, which is BS in my opinion. I HATE Dell. Dell sucks in my opinion. I've read and heard a lot of bad things about them and my experience with my current Dell has been AWFUL. I've also read and heard a lot of bad things about Vista as well. So Vista also sucks in my opinion. I can't get a job. I've tried because my parents FORCED me to. No one has called me. PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO TRY HARDER. DO YOU HONESTLY THINK I'M GOING TO BE ABLE TO FIND A JOB IN THE CURRENT U.S. ECONOMY?! My parents seem to REFUSE to help me and I'm starting to LOSE MY FREAKING MIND without being able to do everything I used to be able to do on a computer. I'm starting to REALLY hate technology and I'm starting to LOATH the fact that you can't do ANYTHING without some sort of computer use currently in the present.

Someone help me before I snap.

Oh and before I forget... I thought I knew a lot about computers... but... I realized I don't. Also... I can't afford to get a technician to come down to my home to look at the computer. Unless they do it for FREE that is, which is OBVIOUSLY not going to happen.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Connection speed problems (Help)
      « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »
      Oh and BTW... sometimes I randomly lose access to the internet and my connection says "Local Only"

Bump.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

Thank you.

taquecop

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »
        Try setting up a DMZ on your router for easier comunication from your computer to your router. I had the same poblem and this fixed it permenently. If you need help on how to set up a DMZ let me know.

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 08:58:39 AM »
          Try setting up a DMZ on your router for easier comunication from your computer to your router. I had the same poblem and this fixed it permenently. If you need help on how to set up a DMZ let me know.

Actually, you better be VERY careful about doing this!  Do you know what a DMZ is?

A DMZ, or Demilitarized Zone is a place on your network that is not "militarized" or enforced with any kind of security.  A proper DMZ is usually something like this:

Internet ----> DMZ -----> Firewall ------> Local network
          or
          Internet ----> Firewall ----> DMZ -----> Firewall ------> Local Network

A very reckless way to set up a DMZ is this:

Internet -----> DMZ ------> Local Network

...which is pretty much the same as:

Internet -------> Local Network (aka: a big KICK ME sign).

Now if you want to set up a DMZ TEMPORARILY in the "kick-me" fashion above to troubleshoot with, that's fine, as long as you know what you're doing.  When you're done, remove the "kick-me" sign as soon as possible!!!!!
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

killerb255

Adviser
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:17:03 AM »
            Anyway:

I have a crappy Dell with even crappier Windows Vista.

The latter seems to be a consensus, but many may disagree, but go on...

I'm having connection speed problems. It goes from 54 to 48 to 36 to 24 to 1 to 2 to 5 to 11 to 18 Mbps. It's a home network. My internet is Road Runner from Time Warner Cable. I've already had someone come to my home once to try to fix the problem. Obviously... that didn't work. The computer in question is a computer upstairs in my home. The computer the router is connected to is a computer downstairs, on my first floor, in my dining room in my home. I believe what detects the wireless is a Dell Wireless Antenna, which is a small black box that is physically screwed in to the back of the tower of the computer. At least... I think that's what is detecting the wireless.

Okay, time out here.

It sounds like the problem is the wireless more than it is the Internet connection.  Wireless reception will, I repeat, WILL fluctuate under any of the following conditions:

1) Interference from wireless devices on the same 2.4 Ghz frequency, like cordless phones.
            2) Thick concrete or brick walls between the computer and the router

So what you need to do is either:

a) Increase your signal somehow
            b) Eliminate anything causing interference
            c) Avoid the whole mess and run a super-long Ethernet cable from your router to your PC
            or
            d) Avoid the whole mess and have your cable modem and router relocated closer to your computer.

I'm getting tired of one problem after another on this computer and I want a freaking new one.

A new computer won't solve wireless problems.

I've seen MANY that I would LOVE to have on QVC, but I'm not rich enough for ANY of them and plus QVC is expecting you to pay $100-some dollars to pay off the computer in 5-6 months, which is BS in my opinion. I HATE Dell. Dell sucks in my opinion.

Honestly, my company works with a LOT of Dells, and they seem to do just fine (I'm typing this message from a Dell Latitude D830 myself).  Their consumer tech support is crap (India?  Pakistan?  Or Bangladesh this time?), but their business tech support is decent (I guess Fortune 500 companies have more clout to make Dell's life miserable if they talk to Ahmed-who-claims-to-be-Steve). 

I've read and heard a lot of bad things about them and my experience with my current Dell has been AWFUL.

Correlation does not imply causation.  If your awful experiences have been mostly with your Internet service, then you're focusing your blame in the wrong place.  To paraphrase an old saying: "I've seen my enemy, and it is I." 

I've also read and heard a lot of bad things about Vista as well. So Vista also sucks in my opinion.

Are you basing this solely on the bad things you've heard?

Vista without a service pack sucks.
            Vista on a computer that's more than 3 years old usually sucks.
            Vista on a computer with less than 1 GB of RAM sucks and with less than 2 GB of RAM may suck, depending on whether there's a bunch of other crap installed.  Again, check on these things.  "I've seen my enemy, and it is I."
            Vista with Service Pack 2, the DirectX 11 Platform update, and all other updates on it, more than 2 GB of RAM (preferably 64-bit and 4+ GB of RAM IMO), and at least a fast 250 GB SATA drive runs almost like Windows 7 in my opinion.

I can't get a job. I've tried because my parents FORCED me to. No one has called me.

Not sure how this is relevant to the issue.  This is Computer Hope, not the unemployment office.

I know that sounds harsh, but dude, a lot of people are going through this--it's the state of the US (and, really, global) economy. 

10% of life is the stuff that happens, while the other 90% is how we handle it.  Internal motivation (because you want it) is far stronger than external motivation (because your parents are forcing you).  If you go to a job interview for the primary reason that your parents want you to get a job, employers will see that in your body language and demeanor: "It's just some kid that doesn't want to be here--only here because his mom and dad told him to be here...I think we'll do better finding someone that wants to be here and cares about our company."

So really..."No one has called me" doesn't fly, even in this economy.  Call them.  Show them that you want to be there.  If they tell you that they found someone more experienced, ask them what type of experience.  The more you learn about how others see you, the better you present yourself in future job interviews.  After all, if you don't know what kind of salary you command, what makes you think others will?

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO TRY HARDER. DO YOU HONESTLY THINK I'M GOING TO BE ABLE TO FIND A JOB IN THE CURRENT U.S. ECONOMY?!

It's tough, but it can happen.  It depends on the opportunities present, your credentials, and how you present yourself. 

My parents seem to REFUSE to help me

What do you expect them to do?  Hold a gun up to an HR representative's head and threaten to shoot if they don't hire you?  If they had the ability to help you, then they could single-handedly turn around the entire economy...but they can't, can they?

and I'm starting to LOSE MY FREAKING MIND without being able to do everything I used to be able to do on a computer. I'm starting to REALLY hate technology and I'm starting to LOATH the fact that you can't do ANYTHING without some sort of computer use currently in the present.

Technology can be frustrating...mostly because it can behave in ways that we don't understand and don't think we can control.  Anger is a manifestation of three things: hurt, fear, and frustration.  Fear is a reaction to a perceived loss of control.  Find a way to gain some degree of control (whether it'd be through resolution, management, circumvention, or acceptance), and take away the fear.  Take away the fear and take away 1/3 of the anger.  Since frustration is a manifestation of helplessness, gaining control can take that away as well.  Guess what?  2 out of 3!  The hurt just heals up after that.

Someone help me before I snap.

See above, but only I think you might have the ability to help yourself more than you think. :)

Oh and before I forget... I thought I knew a lot about computers... but... I realized I don't.

There's always something more to learn when it comes to computers.  I've been in the business for 10 years (3 years help desk, 1 year temporary work, 6 years consulting), and there's STILL things I have yet to learn.  As good as I am with some things, there will always be someone that will make me look like a chump!  You know what?  That's fine.  I don't look at it as a threat.  I look at it as an opportunity to learn something new.

As mentioned, I got starting doing help desk work.  I started at the bottom.  I didn't just magically become an IT consultant with multiple certifications.  For that reason, I don't like flaunting my accomplishments in other people's faces--I make myself available as a knowledge pool to create opportunities for others. 

Also... I can't afford to get a technician to come down to my home to look at the computer. Unless they do it for FREE that is, which is OBVIOUSLY not going to happen.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...that's life.  Find something you like to do that you would be willing to do for free...and then find a way to make money doing it.  You just happen to be on the business end of someone else following that philosophy. 

Either way, take a deep breath.  You'll find that a lot of your answers are right in front of you.  You might have to get out of your comfort zone a lot to pursue them, but hey...don't we all?
            Quote from: talontromper
            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »
            Connect the computer in question directly to the modem and see if you have the same problem.

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
              @taquecop:

Sorry. I don't know what that is and I don't know how to do it.

@killerb255:

Really? I see... what do you suggest I do then, hm? Care to respond to this guy's claim taquecop?

Also... when I said my parents REFUSE to help me... I meant they seem to REFUSE to help me with these computer issues I am having. Also, I overreacted a little. I tend to do that quite a bit. Sorry. At this point I've just given up.

@Allan:

That would require me to buy a SECOND router and a SECOND modem wouldn't it? If so... I'm afraid I'm not rich enough to do this...

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »
              What? No, just carry the computer downstairs and connect it directly to the modem. It's not a permanent connection, I just want to see if your system can go online with a direct connection - it will help narrow down the problem.

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 02:31:42 PM »
                What? No, just carry the computer downstairs and connect it directly to the modem. It's not a permanent connection, I just want to see if your system can go online with a direct connection - it will help narrow down the problem.

Sorry I'm afraid I can't do that. There are no other plugins near my other computer where the router is hooked up to, to plug the other computer into because BOTH computers are desktops.

Also... on the desktop upstairs in my home... sometimes... I randomly lose internet access and only have a local connection and cannot get on the internet until the internet connection comes back.

If the connection speed can't be fixed... what about this? Why is this happening?

Again... I'd really appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »
                DISCONNECT THE OTHER COMPUTER

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                « Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 02:50:28 AM »
                Sorry I'm afraid I can't do that. There are no other plugins near my other computer where the router is hooked up to, to plug the other computer into because BOTH computers are desktops.

Modems usually have a single LAN port. Most setups then use a router to connect various machines to the internet via the same connection.

What has been suggested is to try to connect your machine directly to the modem, which would entail usually disconnecting the router. Since I'm guessing you usually use a wireless connection ("It goes from 54 to 48 to 36 to 24 to 1 to 2 to 5 to 11 to 18 Mbps.") This will confirm if the problem is the wireless card in your computer or not. (this of course will require a network card in your PC. I haven't encountered a computer without one, unless you count my 16 year old toshiba laptop).

I believe what detects the wireless is a Dell Wireless Antenna, which is a small black box that is physically screwed in to the back of the tower of the computer. At least... I think that's what is detecting the wireless.

The antenna you see is connected to a card which connects to a PCI or PCI-E slot on the computers motherboard- the antenna is just something used to boost the signal (which is pretty much what all antennas do, I suppose). IN this case it sounds like the problem could be either your wireless card or the wireless functionality of the router itself.

Also... when I said my parents REFUSE to help me... I meant they seem to REFUSE to help me with these computer issues I am having.
                I don't quite understand, what are they refusing to do, exactly?

Also... on the desktop upstairs in my home... sometimes... I randomly lose internet access and only have a local connection and cannot get on the internet until the internet connection comes back.

If the connection speed can't be fixed... what about this? Why is this happening?

Since you haven't really given us a details topography here, I'm assuming that "desktop upstairs in your home" is the same one having issues in the original post? If so then the problem sounds more like  it's the wireless card or access point.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 11:03:45 AM »
                  @BC?Programmer

So... what your basically saying... is that it's an internal problem?

Heh... um... I don't have the skills, the knowledge OR the capabilities to look into the tower to fix it. I pretty sure my parents don't either. Also... I thought opening up the hard drive to mess with the inside of it was a BAD thing?

As for my parents refusing to help me with my computer problems... whenever I talk to them about the problems I'm having... it's like... it's hard to talk to them about it... and when I'm done talking to them about it... they do nothing to help me out.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 02:18:26 PM »
                  So... what your basically saying... is that it's an internal problem?
                  No.

Heh... um... I don't have the skills, the knowledge OR the capabilities to look into the tower to fix it. I pretty sure my parents don't either. Also... I thought opening up the hard drive to mess with the inside of it was a BAD thing?
                  First, I never told you to open anything, Second, the tower is a tower. Not a hard drive. The hard drive is a smaller device that is installed inside.

As for my parents refusing to help me with my computer problems... whenever I talk to them about the problems I'm having... it's like... it's hard to talk to them about it... and when I'm done talking to them about it... they do nothing to help me out.
                  This screams "entitlement *censored*" to me.

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 05:00:19 PM »
                    @BC_Programmer

Then please explain it because I don't understand.

Also... please don't insult me.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »
                    Then please explain it because I don't understand.
                    There is nothing to explain. If you refuse to perform the actions suggested (plugging it directly into the modem) there isn't much else to do.

Also... please don't insult me.

I didn't.