Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Kepps freezing  (Read 7553 times)

stuart78

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: PC Kepps freezing
    « Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 02:52:31 PM »
    no networking and i am ashamed to admit that i do not currently have a fire wall on my home pc, although i will be downloading zonealarm as soon as it is fixed.

merlin_2

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 03:01:01 PM »

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 03:46:03 PM »
    Have you done as I suggested..

stuart78

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 04:34:43 PM »
      I have run AdAware and the updated norton unfortunately the computer will only stop from freezing up for any time longer than ten minutes so i have had trouble downloading anything new.  Most of these communications have been done from my laptop.

Also my laptop is only cdrom and fdd so even if i download to them i cannot transfer the programs accross fast enough.

Although I have recently discovered that the pc will work fine if the mouse is not connected. the problem is i'm only just learning how to movw around the internet without it as i have never done so before.

I am about to try downloading some of those progams now but it might take me some time.

merlin_2

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 04:47:26 PM »
      Got it>>should have  known>slap>norton anti-virus>.uninstall it from the pc>>and try  this one instead>http://www.majorgeeks.com/AntiVir_Personal_Edition_d955.html

and you find a firewall like sygate on there as well.
      « Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 04:50:41 PM by merlin_2 »

stuart78

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 06:53:45 PM »
        Merlin, only after buying it did i hear from people that norton was over rated but also people tell me microsoft is rubbish, but we all use it.

To be honest i cant say that i rate norton that much myself but i don't know enough about anti-virus' to make an informed decision.

Are you saying i should junk norton which i paid for and opt for something free. my mind is saying "you don't get anything for free in this world"  but if your saying that these free anti virus' are better then i will change it. I now have two anti virus', i dont want to keep adding to them but if i dont like it i always have norton on disc anyway so have nothing to lose.

Raptor, I tried to download Trend Micro House call but it would not let me select the download without a mouse.

I have successfully downloaded avg free scan, but it has found nothing. I will proceed to try the rest but probably not tonight, im exhausted.

in the mean time thanks for all your help guys.

Btw, just a quicky; on my laptop, Quick time has put itself in the bottom right task bar (where the clock is) but when i right click there is no option to move it from there, or delete it. Does it have to run from there or can it be moved.
        « Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 06:59:03 PM by stuart78 »

merlin_2

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 06:57:08 PM »
        Listen and learn my friend dump nav......

stuart78

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 08:41:08 PM »
          I'm not a expert but couldn't this be a hardware problem rather than a virus. The system runs as sweet as a nut with the mouse removed.

I am going to buy a new mouse to try it but am more concerned that it might be the port.

Is this likeley to be the problem or is it more likely to be infected? like i say i'm not an expert.

merlin_2

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 08:47:37 PM »
          like i say i'm not an expert Posted by: stuart78

No one can claim that title!....i hate it>?as no one lives long enough for e:g..............My views given on nav and win9x are expert based! your pc your choice!

Advice given but  not often used.......Pass!

Raptor

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 04:32:42 AM »
          I'm not a expert but couldn't this be a hardware problem rather than a virus. The system runs as sweet as a nut with the mouse removed.

I am going to buy a new mouse to try it but am more concerned that it might be the port.

Is this likeley to be the problem or is it more likely to be infected? like i say i'm not an expert.

Try using a PS/2 to USB converter for your current mouse.

You can also try to remove the mouse entry from the device manager and restart your system to see if it redetects it. The drivers may be corrupted.

stuart78

Topic Starter

Rookie
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 08:55:06 AM »
            Thanks for all your help guys, sorry i didnt get back sooner, have been working long hours.

Anyway seem to have temporarily solved the problem. I tried a new mouse that plugs directly into the usb port and now the pc works fine. I know this is not a permanent solution but at least the machine will stay on now so i can try more of you advice.

Thanks again, i am very grateful for all your help. If i cannot solve it from here i might be back to ask for more help.

If there is any where i can leave feed back to say thanks please let me know and i will do so.

Raptor

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 09:50:52 AM »
            The administrator likes to receive flowers.  ;D