Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: nasty infection, please help  (Read 9157 times)

merlin_2

Re: nasty infection, please help
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2005, 04:21:09 PM »
John did you have a look at this  >...http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Or type this in the run box  regsvr32 /i shell32   it should bring all the folders etc back......
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 04:46:56 PM by merlin_2 »

jpfenski

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005, 06:57:53 PM »
how much of a risk do i run of losing my personal files if i do a repair installation? i ask bc i have no ability to manipulate my files in anyway besides deleting them so i cannot back anything up...

jpfenski

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 07:33:19 PM »
i ran "segsvr32 /i shell32" to no effect. not actually sure what you meant bye "it should bring all the folders back"?

merlin_2

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 12:21:21 PM »
Commands key words are......chkdir    reg    recover<typed after the cmd propmt>  if these fail, the regestry is badly damaged/corupted.and the only options are repair xp or reinstall it again!.....Have you tried using the short cut keys on the keyboard to safe data to disks.......is this a laptop//or desktop ?a bad hard drive may also cause the  problem you have?And load of schools of thoughts on a parallel winxp install>http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpwindowsparallel/indexfullpage.htm
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 01:31:50 PM by merlin_2 »

jpfenski

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 02:31:47 PM »
im not sure what you would want me to try with the "chkdir" "reg" "recover" commands...
And this is a desktop. and i doubt it is a damaged harddrive, only because of symptoms such as script blocking, crippeling of explorer, etc...

merlin_2

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 02:57:45 PM »
ok forget the last idea........try this one Start / Run / rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance   and chose the repair option

jpfenski

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2005, 03:52:19 PM »
the window comes up but i cannot select any options...they are all muted and i cannot select any of the three.

merlin_2

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2005, 03:56:39 PM »
Do you have any virus scanning software??on disks....if you have run em and disconnect from the net.........your options are running out......re-install the o/s or repair it..