Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB port troubles on laptop...explanation in body of thread....  (Read 3306 times)

compunewbie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

USB port troubles on laptop...explanation in body of thread....
    « on: September 03, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »
    Hi there.  I hope this is the correct place to post this question.  I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1267cl laptop with 4 USB ports, one that is ESATA capable.  Awhile back, all my USB ports just stopped working.  Had little yellow question or exclamation marks (can't remember which) next to the list of USB devices or ports (I do NOT really know computers to give proper terminology) in device manager.  After doing some research in other areas, I was under the impression I may need a new motherboard, which would cost hundreds of dollars, even on Ebay, plus paying someone to install it.  Fortunately a friend has a computer shop owner he recommended that has a good memory and remembered something about an issue with HP Laptops and some "filter" (I think that's what he called it).  Well, only $45 later, and him running some software he had, my laptop USB ports are now working for the most part.

I said "for the most part" because I have some weird things happening.  Currently, I have a 1.5tb hard drive in a NexStar3 enclosure plugged into the ESATA port, that I only power on when I need to use it because it gets hot and because, if I have powered off my laptop and leave that external drive powered "on", when I power on my laptop; it apparently wants to boot from that drive for some reason.  Would love to know how to prevent that, but that's for another day.  I have a wireless receiver for my mouse and keyboard in another port, and a Rosewill Powered USB Hub with 7 ports is plugged into another.

Now, for the "weird".  Since this "fix", if I put my laptop in "sleep" mode, when I wake it up, all the things plugged into the powered hub will not function, including my scanner, laser printer, label printer, external dvd player/burner, or Bose Companion 5 speaker system.  I have to pull out the plug from the usb port, sit for 5 to 10 seconds and then plug it back in, and it all works fine.  It's annoying as heck to have to do that every time, but at least it all works.

The really strange thing is in regards to the Bose speaker system.  When I first plugged it into one of the onboard USB ports, the sound was HORRIBLE.  Sounded like the volume was turned up way too high, (though it wasn't) and was very distorted.  Tried all the other ports, same thing.  Called Bose, explained my problem, tried to troubleshoot by trying the other "onboard" ports, etc and had the same problem.  I told him I had the 7 port hub as well, and that seemed to be a big no-no for some reason.  Said not to even try that.  The next suggestion was to plug the speaker system into my old PC that my laptop replaced.  That worked, the sound from these speakers are amazing.  At that point, he said there is something wrong with my laptop usb ports and I needed to get that fixed.  Well, I shut it down and restarted it, tried a couple of the ports again, and same distorted sound coming out.  I thought, what the heck, I'll try it in the USB hub.  Works like a champ.  Even Pandora sounds wonderful. 

Now the only issue is "why" is the sound distorted when plugged into an onboard USB port and sounds great in the hub I was told not to even try?  And why do I have to unplug the Hub after I "wake up" my machine to get the USB devices to function?

I'm sorry this is so long, but the rules said to be thorough.  And in that light, I am running Windows Vista 64bit and my virus protection, etc is Bit Defender Total Security 2010.  Thank you, anyone that knows these darn machines, that can provide simple, easy to understand and follow help, in advance.  Have a great weekend.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: USB port troubles on laptop...explanation in body of thread....
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
    All the shop did was download and reinstall the USB drivers for your HP Pavilion dv7-1267cl laptop, from www.support.hp.com

Sleep Mode turns off USB & all other ports to save power.  You can selectively keep one or more of them on during sleep:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930312

By my count, you have 8 devices on the USB bus:  Rosewill hub, keyboard, mouse, scanner, laser printer, label printer, external dvd player/burner, or Bose Companion 5 speaker system.  Too many to be used simultaneously.

Why not plug the speakers into the laptop speaker jack?

Sleep Mode is intended to save laptop main battery power when no AC adapter is present.  Don't use sleep mode & you won't have any problems.

compunewbie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: USB port troubles on laptop...explanation in body of thread....
      « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:29:51 PM »
      All the shop did was download and reinstall the USB drivers for your HP Pavilion dv7-1267cl laptop, from www.support.hp.com

Sleep Mode turns off USB & all other ports to save power.  You can selectively keep one or more of them on during sleep:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930312

By my count, you have 8 devices on the USB bus:  Rosewill hub, keyboard, mouse, scanner, laser printer, label printer, external dvd player/burner, or Bose Companion 5 speaker system.  Too many to be used simultaneously.

Why not plug the speakers into the laptop speaker jack?

Sleep Mode is intended to save laptop main battery power when no AC adapter is present.  Don't use sleep mode & you won't have any problems.

Thank you for the reply.  I appreciate you taking time to do so.  Actually, the first thing I did before taking in my laptop was download and reinstall the drivers from HP.  At least I attempted to, but it didn't work.  It is quite possible and highly likely I did something wrong.  I am OK with the USB ports being shut off during sleep, but I would think they should and would prefer they turn on automatically as soon as the computer "wakes up".  Again, I am a newbie, and it appears that isn't the case. :)  I will read that article and see about keeping that port "on".  That is, if I can figure out exactly which one it is. 

You are correct about all the things I have plugged in.  Fortunately, I only use one, two at the most at a time; that being the Bose speakers and either my laser printer, scanner, label printer or dvd burner.  I would love to plug the speakers into the speaker jack, but that is not an option.  Bose designed them specifically and only with USB connection because it is all digitally based.  At least that's what he told me.

I use sleep mode because the "computer guy" said it was better than using "hibernate" for some reason.  Unfortunately I can't remember what it was.  And I don't want to shut it down completely when I may only be away from it for an hour or two.  It takes too long to boot.  And I put it to sleep or hibernate to allow it to cool off.  I have been told it's not a matter of if, but when, this laptop is going to die; because, apparently HP makes crap now and I use it exclusively for my business.  It dies, my business does too.  I figure if I can let it cool down, it will prolong its lifespan.  That's why I am now saving to build a PC, buying a piece here and there.  At this point I just have the OS purchased.  :)

Thanks again for your time.  Now, if you or anyone else can tell me what to do with my on-board USB ports to make my speaker system work by plugging them directly to the USB port and not the hub, I would really appreciate it.