Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 98  (Read 2450 times)

rockstar4cs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

windows 98
    « on: August 31, 2010, 07:26:20 PM »
    I have a disk for a windows 98 sony it says it needs windows NT or higher than 98 to work. Is there any program that might allow me to work around that?

truenorth

Guru

Re: windows 98
      « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:24:21 AM »
      Can't understand what the issue is? You have a computer=what is the computer (brand/model)?
      You have a disk=What is the disk (is it an OEM of windows 98 issued by Microsoft)? What are you trying to do:
      a) With the disc
      b)with the computer
      c) what operating system is currently on the computer?
      truenorth

rockstar4cs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
        Its a sony Vaio laptop windows 98 model PCG-717. I have a 2010 paint program I want to install but it says I need to upgrade to another OS. Is it possible I could use a free open source OS on this computer or is the fact its so old hurt. I dont know when it was bought I'm fixing it for a friend.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »
        Its a sony Vaio laptop windows 98 model PCG-717. I have a 2010 paint program I want to install but it says I need to upgrade to another OS.
        So the disk you have isn't actually the windows 98 disk but actually you're talking about a disk for some other software product, which you only now reveal to be some kind of graphics program.

Is it possible I could use a free open source OS on this computer or is the fact its so old hurt.
        Yes. you can. you could use something like DSL (*censored* Small Linux) or Puppy linux, etc. But regardless of which open source OS you choose the fact will remain that it's not windows and you still won't be able to install Photoshop (or whatever it is) unless it happens to have a Linux version.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

indogo

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 02:09:09 PM »
          the 2.2 or older version of gimp will run on 98 and its free and good for image manupulation if thats what you need
          http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/old.html

hope that helps
          mike