Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows  (Read 9725 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »
It was an ex-programmer. However, good idea with the burning Vista, but what reputation, it never had any?

How much does Microsoft pay you suckers to go kiss it's @$$ ?

1 cent for each time you write it's oh-its-oh-so-perfect, if someone does buy Vista do you get a dollar?
Maybe within 5 or so years, you too will be able to afford an MSDN subscription and see for yourself?

I think only few people finally got the ba!!s to come clean and say yes it was a huge mistake with Vista.

Microsoft finally has taken all the feedback from Vista (plus and negatives) and attempted to re-create Win7 as Vista without the faults, removing what people hated. It's still no where perfect, still infected with some Vista, but at least it's a step in the right direction.
Nobody here respects your opinions. Everybody knows what they are already. Nobody cares. Constantly saying the same things over and over again will not change that.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:08 PM »
I'm not looking for any respect...

Constantly saying the same things over and over again will not change that.
If I said a different thing each time, then I could understand you would doubt me or consisted it a lie. Lies change, facts stay the same.

Feel free to ignore me, I already said 'A personal opinion automatically disqualifies me? lol okay if you say so...', but that would not stop my 'freedom of speech'. Someone asked a question and I answered truthly. I have voiced my opinion and facts which I know are honest and I'm not the only one which agrees with it.

AlexK also said:
Windows Vista--------a horror story, it screwed the Windows reputation

More than 50% of the world would agree if you created a poll and asked them all.

Microsoft's Steve Ballmer even admited 'Vista was just not executed well', 'Microsoft made key mistakes in its development', 'They tried to take on too much on creating Vista at the time'. CEO Ballmer says skip Vista! Why can't you?
Aaron's Game Zone
The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 11:55:47 PM »
My opinion? Is very dependent on your use for the OS

Work and play? Windows 7 32-bit
Just play? XP 32-Bit

I use Win 7 Ultimate, because I was given a copy and was previously using a VLK XP Pro from a friend who owns a business here.
While many people give a stigma to Windows 7 because of Vista, I have found it to be just as reliable as XP but with some exceptions with my gaming, notably EAX effects.
Also because I have a Creative PCI-e card, there have been some driver issues but this is not entirely Window's fault.

In my experience the online driver finder works, the layout is good and the load times are similar to XP.

By the world's standards? XP

By the few who are here that use it? Any flavour of Linux.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 12:54:18 AM »
I have found it to be just as reliable as XP but with some exceptions with my gaming, notably EAX effects.
I hear about this all the time but for me EAX works just fine with both my X-Fi as well as my on-board realtek chip. (win7 64-bit). iirc though it didn't work "out of the box" so to speak, I had to install something, which I have now long forgotten what it was.

By the world's standards? XP
What do you mean by this (???)

By the few who are here that use it? Any flavour of Linux.

and this? I use Linux Mint for my local SVN server repository  and PHP/Apache testbed, and I know my way around alright but I still use windows for my development (also, ironically the source code I put in the SVN is windows oriented). It was either that, or I make a windows server- but my purposes are better served with a Linux server (since my web host runs on Linux) Also, if I did that I'd end up writing ASP or ASP.NET which would be *censored* near useless to me unless I can get a Windows-based hosting solution.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 01:29:54 AM »
I hear about this all the time but for me EAX works just fine with both my X-Fi as well as my on-board realtek chip. (win7 64-bit). iirc though it didn't work "out of the box" so to speak, I had to install something, which I have now long forgotten what it was.

What do you mean by this (???)

and this? I use Linux Mint for my local SVN server repository  and PHP/Apache testbed, and I know my way around alright but I still use windows for my development (also, ironically the source code I put in the SVN is windows oriented). It was either that, or I make a windows server- but my purposes are better served with a Linux server (since my web host runs on Linux) Also, if I did that I'd end up writing ASP or ASP.NET which would be *censored* near useless to me unless I can get a Windows-based hosting solution.

The EAX effects are not truely used under Windows 7...OpenAL is used instead to emulate them. I should clarify that the problem with the EAX is that games such as Fallout 3 crash when used in conjunction with my X-Fi Titanium. I use ALchemy to emulate OpenAL to get around it.

I mean that the world generally has been told that anything MS has put out lately is junk. XP is something the world is comfortable with, and is most likely to recommend.

And though linux has gained ground, it is still far from being a household name.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 01:48:21 AM »
The EAX effects are not truely used under Windows 7...OpenAL is used instead to emulate them. I should clarify that the problem with the EAX is that games such as Fallout 3 crash when used in conjunction with my X-Fi Titanium. I use ALchemy to emulate OpenAL to get around it.
OpenAL, I think that's what I have installed, specifically, because eduke32 has no sound unless you install it, heh. (or maybe it was gzdoom... damned if I can remember). I've never had crashes with Fallout 3 (aside from video card overheating related crashes) myself. Not sure if I installed it before or after OpenAL on this machine.

I mean that the world generally has been told that anything MS has put out lately is junk. XP is something the world is comfortable with...
Very true.

...and is most likely to recommend.

And very misguided. That's like people using Linux recommending Kernel 2.6; One might contest that with windows you have to pay, but consider for a moment that almost any Linux would be free- including a newer revision- and wether somebody get's windows XP, Vista, or 7, it will cost them nearly the same (usually). So really, if they buy XP they are essentially going with an old kernel revision. Difference here is that for the Linux person using 2.6 they can always get the latest for free, whereas if you buy and use Windows XP you'd have to buy yet another copy of windows, and then your XP license is useless (from my more recent research I have learned that Windows licenses are not issues to people but rather to the machines they are installed on). It's an awful lot of money to throw away because you don't like a few graphical effects that can be easily disabled; and it's stupid to run a super powerful machine with a beefy video card in the crappy 2-D desktop that XP provides. Even Linux, which is mostly known for utility, has moved beyond some silly things, with the introduction of desktop environments that use 3-D acceleration. The Linux community embraced Compozer (despite it suddenly becoming important only after MS announced 3-d hardware acceleration in Vista), Windows users seem to prefer to bash what's new rather then try to understand it. the NT system itself (from 9x ->XP) experienced the same flak.

And though linux has gained ground, it is still far from being a household name.
Indeed, indeed. It just seemed like you were saying "anybody who has ever used linux uses it for everything". I imagine, that isn't what you meant then.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:12 PM »
BC:
Linux and Windows supplement each other in good ways as you have experienced for yourself.
During my Diploma this year, we have used two separate labs, an Ubuntu lab, which we run VMware Player on to run Server 2003 so we can use Visual Studio 2010 for Iron Python programming; and a lab which we use removable drives to run whatever OS we wish to use for the task.

On the other hand I use VMware Player on Win 7 at home to run Ubuntu as a guest OS to test my programs and to mess around with to learn.
Dell has helped Linux a lot in its climb up the market share.

The few issues with EAX will be fazed out as now games are simply being written directly for OpenAL instead of for Creative's EAX.

So my final say is Windows 7 simply for:

It is a officially supported OS
It provides the same functionality + more than XP
Looks pretty (You can get a skin + transparency prog for XP)
The FPS difference in games is barely noticeable for me.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 09:34:09 AM »
When are Macs going to come into the argument? I think it's all Obama's fault, but wouldn't put it past Tiger, either.

Actually, I'm kind of curious about the kid who seems to hate Microsoft but brags about an expensive msdn subscription. Seems a bit ironic. I wish I were a kid again.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 11:09:49 AM »
Yeah, we kids must be super ironic...

Kinda unlike ya Adults getting expensive sport cars, then bragging about how awesome it is to your friends, rather than honestly saying half of it was a %$#! ripoff and you brought an expensive lemon!

- you say stuff to look better, just to make yourself look good. Hide the bad away!
- kids just say the blunt truth no matter who it pisses off!
Aaron's Game Zone

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 11:34:31 AM »
This is fun. I wonder how long he'll go for.....

Actually, my car was given to me by a friend who was going to donate it to a charity. It hardly runs, but it was free. I mostly ride my bicycle to and from work (also a freebie). I now have close to enough money to buy a newer car with cash because I'm doing exactly the opposite of what you're saying.

- you say stuff to look better, just to make yourself look good. Hide the bad away!

I wouldn't say adults hide the blunt truth, we just try to be more tactful. When you're an adult and living off your own dime, what you say and do can come back to find you and have a larger affect on your life. ;)

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 12:28:06 PM »
Kids also live off energy drinks, it's even more fun for us and we'll never get tired of it!  ;D

... so your saying rather than facing the blunt truth, your'll rather hide from and ignore it?

I'll swap you the MSDN subscription for the newer car?  ;)
Aaron's Game Zone

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »
Actually, I'm kind of curious about the kid who seems to hate Microsoft but brags about an expensive msdn subscription. Seems a bit ironic. I wish I were a kid again.

For some reason I never noticed that. Gotta love how he still uses windows, too. Can't even be bothered with a Noob-oriented Distro like Ubuntu. Kind of a shame.

Yeah, we kids must be super ironic...
Super ironic? was this some attempt at hyperbole using an unnecessary superlative? I Super approve! I think.... No wait, I SUPER think. yeah that sounds so much super better.

Kinda unlike ya Adults getting expensive sport cars, then bragging about how awesome it is to your friends, rather than honestly saying half of it was a %$#! ripoff and you brought an expensive lemon!
A:) Only Rich (or reasonably well off) Adults get expensive sports cars, and
B:) Expensive sports cars only become lemons after they are totaled by the rockstar. At which point, they buy another.
As michaewlewis said, it's called tact, and it's not used to "make us look good" it's used to that you don't come off as an abrasive, arrogant jerk who thinks they are above any form of social courtesy. People that say "I'm just telling you the truth" make be apprehensive because it makes me wonder <why> they think I would assume otherwise. The general assumption when somebody tells you something is that they are being truthful, unless your opinion or past events makes you believe otherwise. So somebody having to say "I'm just telling you the truth" completely out of nowhere seems to me like some sort of automatic and pre-emptive defense mechanism that developed from years of compulsive lying. Having to qualify truthful statements is like saying "Normally I lie, but this time I'm not!". Either that, or they really are lying and are trying a bit too hard to be convincing. Secondly, it assumes they know the truth. Stating an opinion as the truth is not "the truth" it's being a abrasive, arrogant jerk.

Kids lie all the time, and for their own benefit.

Kids also live off energy drinks
No they don't.

Energy drinks are completely useless, unless you only have then occasionally. I've found that while they give a temporary boost, they have a much larger drain on my wallet. (4 dollars for a can, *censored*). Also, My body got used to them to the point where I could have three cans of the stuff and still go right to sleep. I've found that a box of tea (or tin of coffee) is often equal in price or often less and lasts a good month or longer. See, that's the difference when you have to pay for your own luxuries. :P So I took the common sense choice and moved away from the organ eroding chemical soups that are energy drinks.

That being said, tea that doesn't taste like it was crushed under the buttcheeks of a generously girthed swedish woman is not easy to find and is usually not cheap. You Certainly aren't going to find anything but butcheek specials at the grocery store. (Although there are some that certainly were created at the beginning of the day before they got too sweaty).

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »
That being said, tea that doesn't taste like it was crushed under the buttcheeks of a generously girthed swedish woman is not easy to find and is usually not cheap. You Certainly aren't going to find anything but butcheek specials at the grocery store. (Although there are some that certainly were created at the beginning of the day before they got too sweaty).

I've never had that kind of tea before. I'm a pretty regular tea drinker (at least in the winter) and am satisfied enough with Stash Earl Grey or Lipton Vanilla Black Tea.
Also, I think your grammar/spelling skills are lacking as of late. You spelled *censored* cheeks wrong both times you tried and also spelled "them" incorrectly (second to last paragraph, first sentence) Please be kind enough to to avoid such mistakes as it causes some monkeys in Southern Russia to have hernias.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »
I've never had that kind of tea before. I'm a pretty regular tea drinker (at least in the winter) and am satisfied enough with Stash Earl Grey or Lipton Vanilla Black Tea.
I was of course using gross hyperbole before, but truly when compared to the good stuff (when it's brewed properly), it's simply no contest. Stash is certainly one of the better varieties of Bag teas  (I'm particular to their Double bergamot earl grey). But when you get the good stuff (nothing in tea bags compares, even close, I was rather surprised at the contrast). nice big leaves that unfurl when you steep them. All I have left now is some odd varieties of green tea and Oolong, I don't drink those as often and I think they are way past their shelf life. The thing I found most intriguing was that you could often tell the difference between them just by looking at them- Irish breakfast (one of my favourites) was small, round pellets, whereas English, Scottish, and Canadian Breakfast (Scottish breakfast was a bit more pungent, even acrid; Irish was a lot stronger then any of the others, and had a somewhat malty aftertaste. Green tea was the most interesting to see after steeping because often just a teaspoonful would expand to fill the entire pot. The Canadian Breakfast tasted like English breakfast with a generous helping of Vimy. Of course there is no American breakfast tea because it would just get dumped in Boston harbour.

I can't afford the "good" stuff anymore, so I haven't been able to refresh my stockpile of them.

Please be kind enough to to avoid such mistakes as it causes some monkeys in Southern Russia to have hernias.
There is no evidence that proves 100% that my spelling and grammar issues cause any sort of abdominal distress in monkeys from Russia or that it is just correlation. Besides, It's well known that abdominal injuries such as hernias would be most likely caused by the Russian Monkey slave trade. They use them for carrying barrels around, you see...

Truly though the reason is probably because I've been typing/browsing with my laptop for the last while, which I don't usually use very often for heavy typing, and I have been awake for a good 48 hours now for no good reason at all. And no, energy drinks played no part in that ;D

Azzaboi

Apprentice
  • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Aaron's Game Zone
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »
 :rofl:

You guys come off as an arrogant jerks about the smallest of things (so sorry if I play as a jerk back), you really don't want to accept (even though I said you don't have to, I don't care if you ignore good advice).

Make it really simple for you...

You have Car X (Vista) and Car Y (Win7). You love your Car X sooo much you can't even see that Car Y is the same as Car X with better features and safety. Car X, no one else likes, even car dealer says is faulty, yet you can't accept change for improvement. Even the classic Car Z (WinXP) out performs it. However, your rather stay with what you know, supplied for you (rather forced upon you) and recommended by the sales company.

Yes, I use windows, but guess what?
I've used them all and recommend WinXP and Win7 best so far, suggest Vista the worst. As soon as the beta copy of Win7 came out, it was a better version of Vista.

The Microsoft staff said Vista is the worst, the Microsoft CEO in an interview even said it was a mistake. They accepted hardly anyone liked it, they reviewed it, they took user feedback and attempted to move forward fixing the faults developing Win7.

That's all I said... that's what you fighting over? It's a battle they losed a long time ago for Vista. Get over it!
Aaron's Game Zone