Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: adding another router to network  (Read 3083 times)

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
adding another router to network
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:16:08 AM »
Hi, I have a network of pcs and printers, nas box and media server all hard wired. It is a mixture of win xp and one win7 pcs. The network works very well except for having to sometimes reset permissions on the win7 pc. I have 1 pc and 2 laptops that also connect wirelessly to the network. I have a linksys wrt54gl router and a tp link 8 port switch. My home has brick walls and Ive fitted 7dbi antennas to the linksys router, but the wireless performance is still patchy.

Now to finally get to the point, what I am trying to do is to hardwire a spare dlink d300 router in another room more central to the normal laptop & wireless pc location. I want to disable wireless in the linksys and broadcast wireless from the dlink. I have done some reading on the net, and cant get the dam thing working. What I have tried:

Hook up the dlink by lan cable to a spare laptop

Enter dlink config, and turned off UPNP and DHCP

After saving that I enter an unused IP address within my network range. This is where the problems start, because the IP address doesnt want to stick and if I do a ipconfig it shows no ip. I have to reset the router back to default IP to access it. Pinging the IP address I set fails.

Any help would be great
Thank you, and sorry to be so long winded   

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: adding another router to network
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 07:18:03 AM »
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
    Hi, I have read you can link 2 routers together, and as I have a spare router I thought to try it. Dont particularly want to spend more money. If money was no object I'd change from a "G" to "N" network

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »
    Why not use a wireless access point?  This is what they're made for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=wireless+access+point&x=0&y=0

Alan <><
    I just realised the dlink im trying to connect to my network has an option to be an access point, I put the dlink back to factory on a spare laptop, ticked the access point option, hooked it up to my network and its gone. it doesnt exist. Lanscanner doesnt see it either

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »
      Go here...

http://www.dlink.com/products/default.aspx?pid=DWL-2100AP&tab=3

Download the manual.  Sorry I don't have time right now to help further.  It'll tell you what to do.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
      Hi, thanks for the response. I finally got it working. The dlink router has a  "access point" function which i changed to. The problem however was really very simple. I had read on the net not to plug the output cable of the first router into the WAN port of the second router. In frustration I hooked it into the WAN port and everything worked. Wether the info I read was wrong or that is the difference between a router and an access point I dont know, but know with the wireless function of router 1 disabled and enabled on router 2 I have much better wireless coverage due to its location in the house.

Another question if I may. With router 2 (dlink) as an access point, its configuration has disabled all firewall security, and I assume router 1 (linksys) has taken control of security of the dlink wireless network?

Sounds logical, but am I assuming correctly?

Thanks