Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to add sortable tick box to Outlook 2003 inbox view?  (Read 3158 times)

jovihava

Topic Starter

How to add sortable tick box to Outlook 2003 inbox view?
    « on: September 06, 2010, 10:09:04 PM »
    Hiya there,

I have been trying to figure out how to add a tick box for outlook inbox view for every message line, one that I could myself tick and use for sorting?

I would use it to mark items for deletion, in a similar manner than in many of the web-based email clients have.

Replies would be very much appreciated, and is there is some piece of code that I need to purchase, I might even go for that if it's not expensive.

Using Outlook 2003 in XP.

BR
    Jorma

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How to add sortable tick box to Outlook 2003 inbox view?
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:40:19 AM »
    I'm not aware of a way to do that and I doubt it can be done.  But, by using the Shift or Ctrl key, you can select multiple messages for simultaneous deletion.  Use the Shift key to select contiguous messages and the Ctrl key to select messages that are not contiguous.

Also, if you don't use the Flag for anything else, you could use it to mark messages for deletion. 

jovihava

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »
      Thanks soybean for your reply :)

I have some reasons for preferring the selection box.

- First is that I want to do it the other way  ;D
      -Second is that if I select multiple items holding ctrl down, but want to change the sorting to arrange the mails by sender or receiver, very often outlook drops the multiple selections and only the one mail that I clicked the last stays selected
      -Third is that I can not peek through the preview pane nor double click open if I want to check something in between

I was already instructed at another forum about this: http://www.outlookforums.com/showthread.php?72884-How-to-add-sortable-tick-box-to-Outlook-2003-inbox-view&p=261657#post261657

"Right click on the row of field names, choose Field Chooser. Click New - add a Yes/No type field and use icon format. Enable in cell editing (in Customize view, Other settings) so you can click in the field to enable or disable the checkbox."

I am trying this and it seems to work well for me. This is way better for me than the delete button use, as with this I can select a bunch of mails for other purposes than only for deletion, and can change the sorting without losing the multiple items selection.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:46 AM »
      OK, thanks for sharing that. 

By the way, how wide is your column for the checkbox field you've added?  I tried the technique and the Outlook won't let me make the column less than 9.00 characters wide, which is some wasted space just for a checkbox.

And, by the way, the Outlook forum you mentioned said this:
      Ctrl+click often fails once you get more than a few selected.
      I disagree with that statement.  I have no problem with Ctrl+click "failing" once I get more that a few selected.