Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New MB / GPU - serious problem [790x chipset / HD 5750]  (Read 2100 times)

james_yar

Topic Starter

New MB / GPU - serious problem [790x chipset / HD 5750]
    « on: September 11, 2010, 05:57:06 AM »
    Hail,

Currently tearing my hair out in frustration. I am running Vista 64 with 4GB ram, AMD quad 2.6GHZ, and had a ASUS M3N72-D motherboard (with NVIDIA nForce 750a chipset). GPU is Asus EAH5750 (with ATI Radeon HD 5750 chip).

All was fine but the MB was getting croaky, started to fail to boot, so I have bought a new MB, a Gigabyte MA790x-UD3P (with AMD 790X / SB750 chipset), mainly because it has crossfire, though I only have 1 graphics card currently.

The graphics card will not boot with an ATI driver. BIOS post fine, windows starts, windows loading bar appears, but then screen goes black (sometimes I get a badly distorted blue screen crash). The new MB does not have onboard GPU, but in safe mode, it boots fine and graphics work ok. If I remove the graphics driver, and delete it, it boots normally using a generic VGA driver.

I have deleted all legacy drivers I can find (old MB had nvidia onboard GPU) so I have killed those too, including the hidden device drivers in the Device Manager.

I have flashed the BIOS with the latest update from the Gigabyte website.

There is no onboard GPU so I cant try to boot without the graphics card, and I dont have a older spare.

I have tried Driver Sweeper, and cleaned all old drivers that way.

I have tried the latest graphics driver from ATI, and the previous 2 sets of drivers.

Nothing makes any difference. It is as if any ATI driver is toxic for the graphics card when in the new MB.

The graphics card is PCI-E 2.1, and the MB is PCI-E 2.0 - I read it should be backwards compatible though.

Has anyone heard of a bizarre incompatibility between 790x MB chipset and HD 5750 GPU chipset?

Is there anything else I could try?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: New MB / GPU - serious problem [790x chipset / HD 5750]
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 06:47:20 AM »
    Did you try the other PCI-e slot ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

james_yar

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 07:12:07 AM »
      Did you try the other PCI-e slot ? ?

yes tried it (the other slot is PCI-E 8x apparently)  - no difference

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 07:16:35 AM »
      Since it's brand new i'd RMA the MBoard for a replacement...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "