Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Priner won't work  (Read 3174 times)

Nealf

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Priner won't work
« on: September 11, 2010, 08:10:58 AM »
Trying to get my girlfriends printer to work.  Has a Lexmark 705 and using Vista.  Can't figure which port to use.  Shows she has the latest driver for it, but still no connection.  Your thoughts on where I should go next please.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Priner won't work
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:23:02 AM »
    So can we correctly assume that this printer has NEVER as yet been properly installed on your "girlfriend's computer? What do you mean by "Can't figure which port to use." ? This statement is also confusing "Shows she has the latest driver for it". If you have never successfully installed it how do you know she has the latest drivers for it? It is very difficult at this point to assist you because of the confusing nature of your post. However the one thing i can say is that in a great deal of failures of printers to work (when doing an initial install) is caused by a failure to STRICTLY" follow  the manual's precise order of installation. So at this point that is where i would direct you. truenorth

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:35:55 AM »
    Can't figure which port to use. 
    Are you connecting the printer to a router? 

Nealf

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:46:44 AM »
    This printer was working with this tower before she moved. 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:00:26 AM »
      Ok now you need to answer the rest of the questions i asked. Please do NOT make us pull teeth  or our interest will wain quickly. truenorth

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »
      Are you connecting the printer to a router? 
      And, this has not been answered yet either.

Nealf

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:08:18 PM »
      Why are you looking for more questions.  I SAID it worked with this tower before she moved.  And what kind of router would could you possibly use with a printer ? ? ? ?

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:59:58 AM »

I'm not here to add to this thread, i just want to know, with an reply like......

Why are you looking for more questions.  I SAID it worked with this tower before she moved. 

.......who runs out of patience first, i mean, really.  :D
      11 cheers for binary !

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 04:11:04 AM »
      Why are you looking for more questions. 
      We aren't. we're looking for more answers to questions that you have been asked.

I SAID it worked with this tower before she moved. 

Yes. Good. so we know it used to work. All that tells us or you is that something is different to cause it to not work now. Or at least, that's the impression you're giving with the thread title.

And what kind of router would could you possibly use with a printer ? ? ? ?
      Any kind. you were the one mentioning that you "didn't know which port to use" Clearly it stems from the print dialogs whereby you select the printer to print to? most printers today are USB printers and generally create their own device name (USB#### is a common one). But you should be printing to a "port" but rather to a printer, since the print dialog will state which printer you are printing to. Either way, your rather vague "I don't know which port to use" is what caused a router to enter the discussion- ports are generally used for network devices (printing via the network involves ports and printer sharing and so forth). Last time I had to involve myself with ports regarding printers was with a DOS-based machine. So the assumption that printer sharing is involved is not off-the-wall given the information posted.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 07:55:23 AM »
      Any kind. you were the one mentioning that you "didn't know which port to use" Clearly it stems from the print dialogs whereby you select the printer to print to? most printers today are USB printers and generally create their own device name (USB#### is a common one). But you should be printing to a "port" but rather to a printer, since the print dialog will state which printer you are printing to. Either way, your rather vague "I don't know which port to use" is what caused a router to enter the discussion- ports are generally used for network devices (printing via the network involves ports and printer sharing and so forth). Last time I had to involve myself with ports regarding printers was with a DOS-based machine. So the assumption that printer sharing is involved is not off-the-wall given the information posted.
      Correct, BC.  His comment, "Can't figure which port to use", plus the fact that that Lexmark printer is apparently a networkable printer, based on info at Lexmark Prevail Pro705, lead me to conclude he may be talking about connecting to a port on a router.  Based on the info at that link, that printer can, indeed, be connected to a router, apparently either wireless or cabled, as a network printer.  It would work the same as my Brother printer that's connected to my router, allowing me to print from any of the three computers I have connected to the router.