Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best Linux Distro  (Read 11881 times)

dnthns87

Topic Starter

Rookie

Best Linux Distro
    « on: June 11, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »
    Hello

I'm Looking for A free linux distro with a theme to make it look identical to mac osx i found one and thought it was opensuse it wasnt, can anyone think of something else ?

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Best Linux Distro
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 01:20:45 PM »

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »
    Or if you want a distro that'll look more like the Mac Os X out-of-the-box try gOS 2.9 Space. You can download it here: ftp://linuxfreedom.com/gos/gos-space-20080406-1226.iso. Here is a screenshot: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/GOS_space.png.

However support wont continue for too long so I would follow the instructions by 2x3i5x. It will be a bit more work but it'll be worth it. So I recommend installing Ubuntu 10.04 and then following the previous instructions.

DM1

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:52:38 AM »
    I just "Converted" to Linux from Windows. :P (I have a lot  of experience with the windows OS) I have just loaded a Linux Distribution called Puppy Linux 5.1.0 ;) (It uses the binaries from Ubuntu Linux ) This Distribution Of Linux is very light and easy to use I am using it on a Dell Dimension 4600  Pentium4 (North wood) 2.4 Ghz with 768MB Ram a 40 GB (formatted to an EXT2) Hard drive as boot and a 100( Formatted to a  NTFS) as storage. This Distribution is fast and is not a big hog on resources. I think It is better than Ubuntu. package management is easy the JWM inter face is nice.

To me this is one of the better Distributions of Linux I have tried. ;D

More info On "lucid Puppy" Linux 5.1

http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
    DM1, Congratulations & welcome to Linux. I do really hope that you enjoy Linux as an operating system. It does have a learning curve but if you ever need help try posting here or give me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.   (|

indogo

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 04:57:02 AM »
      Whatever distro you use XFCE4 has many mac themes available and is much lighter on resources than gnome...might be worth considering...
      http://xfce-look.org
      actually these themes would probably be useable in Gnome anyway as they are GTK2 based.

Regards

Mike