Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot install ANY Windows  (Read 2634 times)

Val1607

Cannot install ANY Windows
« on: September 26, 2010, 08:08:02 AM »
Hi I'm new here, I know my way around one or two things concerning computers but this one's got me...I had Windows Vista installed a short while ago. But then I wanted to Install Windows 7 as someone lend me the installation disk of Windows 7.
But as there was only one partition I tried to re seize it and create another one with partition magic,so I wouldn't loose all my files when installing Windows 7. After reboot I was prompted to boot from hard drive or repair windows Vista. I couldn't boot from hard drive as nothing happened when I did. Neither could I repair as I didn't have any backups.
Since nothing worked I got one of those repair cds off ebay(yeah I found out they're free on the web but that was after buying one...). This cd had a mini windows xp on it with all sorts of system tools.
At least now I could save all my data to an external media. I was advised to format my hard drive and reinstall windows. I do not have a windows vista cd as vista came pre installed with my computer when i bought it.
I started Installation from a Windows xp cd I borrowed from my neighbour. Windows xp would load all the files and copy them to my hard drive and at 51 minutes remaining just restart and show me the NTLDR is missing message.
If I started the setup from the mini windows xp version it would copy all the files for setup and then terminate (Windows 7 wouldn't even attempt to start installing).
Because nothing worked I installed linux mint a couple of days ago but when i attempt Windows XP setup from there it gives me the error message : NO VALID SYSTEM PARTITIONS FOUND.SETUP IS UNABLE TO CONTINUE. I have reformatted the partition I destined for windows with NTFS and FAT32 and set it as "Boot" "active", nothing works.
Linux is great but I can't get any of my games or programs to work even though I have wine and play on Linux installed.
please help someone I'm going crazy

thanks for reading and answering...
Val

ps I have a dell inspiron 530 with 2 gig of RAM...

Mulreay

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Cannot install ANY Windows
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 08:14:55 AM »
I may be wrong but first off your trying to install from a repair/Boot cd so it won't reinstall on your computer as your not the owner of that version of Windows.
Windows needs to be paid for and we will only help with genuine software paid for to the manufacturer.

P.s welcome to computer hope
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Cannot install ANY Windows
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
Right - we can't help you with a "borrowed" Windows 7 version. sorry.