Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sharing an app. in a small workgroup.  (Read 2500 times)

SmittySr

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Sharing an app. in a small workgroup.
    « on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:40 AM »
    I was wondering if there is a way to share an application over a LAN using only the tools that Windows XP provides? Is there a third party application that would give me this functionality at a very low cost (free would be great).

willtech10577

Greenhorn

Re: Sharing an app. in a small workgroup.
      « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »
      You mean install an app once on PC1 and then have PC2 and PC3 still be able to use the same app?

I never tried this so it might not work but you CAN try creating a local user account on PC1 where the app is and create share out the .exe. Have PC2 and PC3 connect to the share via UNC and enter the local user credentials.

That or try setting up RDP to PC1.

I'd be a pleasant surprise if that works!

SmittySr

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »
        I was thinking of installing the app. on a shared folder on the network. I think I tried this one other time unsuccessfully. I would like to use an XP terminal like an application server. I just don't know how to do it, or if it is even possible.

willtech10577

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:16:06 AM »
          Making XP work like a app server....yeah...I doubt thats possible seeing how XP is made for more of a stand alone versus server.

I'd give google a search -- I found this but it appears only 1 person could connect at a time.
          http://www.governmentsecurity.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=10869

Hopefully that points you in the right direction.