Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: america's debt clock  (Read 15669 times)

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
america's debt clock
« on: September 21, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »
what a lot of money , will they ever get out of debt , click oddhammer and enlarge

<embed
allowscriptaccess="never"
src="http://oddhammer.com/tutorials/debt_clock/US_debt_clock_small.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
width="230"
height="40">
</embed>

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: america's debt clock
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »
Innacurrate at best...
Besides if we are going to discuss Politics here i predict this Topic won't last long....
Just my HMO...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »
Innacurrate at best...
Besides if we are going to discuss Politics here i predict this Topic won't last long....
Just my HMO...

hi patio , i'm not discussing politics its only a clock counting money owed  ;D  do you think the figure is way to little

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 01:28:46 PM »
I think I'm tired of your passive-aggressive attitude toward America.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 02:02:11 PM »
Almost every country in the world is in debt.

You cannot take a single flat number and say it "means more" then a corresponding number from another country.

As a percentage of GDP, for example, Canada's Debt is a good 20% higher then the U.S.

Another example:

the U.S's approx Debt as of 30 June 2009  is about 13,450,000,000,000 dollars. (about 43,758 per capita) and it is 94% if their GDP- that is, their Gross Domestic product is <higher> then the entire debt.

as of 30 June 2009, the U.K external debt lists at 9,088,000,000,000, which is 147,060 per capita, and a WHOPPING 416% of their GDP; that is, their debt is over 4 times their Gross Domestic product.

Now I ask, who is more likely to get out of debt? The country whose GDP is higher then their debt or the country whose debt is 4 times their GDP? Perhaps there should be a novelty time-based counter that counts U.K debt clock?

I've found the issue of foreign debt quite curious, since almost every country has some debt- so the question is- WHO is the creditor? you would think that if, say, Canada borrowed a few million from the U.S and then later the U.S borrowed a few million from Canada (well, it's not direct, it would occur via export/import value difference I imagine) but, you would think that they would consider it even, but somehow both countries have netted themselves more debt? (edit: appears I have confused foreign debt with the trade deficit) It's all quite confusing. I doubt anybody truly understands *censored* it all means. Maybe it's a ploy by government accountants to make sure they keep their job; enforce all sorts of ridiculous debt-related rules so that no country can ever get out of debt, and considering no country seems to NOT have debt, the question (as I noted) is who are they indebted to? It certainly can't be other countries, since those other countries are indebted to them and other countries. In fact, it seems every country owes every country but at the same time no country owes any other country. *censored* this confusing financial talk. Perhaps there are aliens involved here somewhere, since if this external debt is not of Earth origin clearly we are borrowing from some other planet.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »
To some extent, Britain's high gross external debt to GDP ratio reflects the big part played by banking and financial services in the UK economy. According to National Statistics the UK External Debt – (gross) is £6,290 bn - this is roughly 430% of GDP -  of which only £26bn is owed by government. The biggest balance is the banking sector which owes nearly £4,000 bn. These banking liabilities should be cancelled out by an equal amount of foreign assets. Though if these assets deteriorated, the UK’s position would definitely worsen. Other countries with higher ratios are Ireland 1004% Luxembourg 3854% Netherlands 470% Liberia 606%. Except for the last, these are countries where banking plays a big role in the economy.

I believe the UK's net external debt is nearer 30% of GDP. Certainly it is not out of line with other G7 countries. Indeed, Moody's and Standard & Poor's consider that external debt ratios are irrelevant from a credit perspective for countries with fully convertible reserve currencies and do not even quote them (Fitch Ratings do).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:43:26 PM »
Financial Debt = Monies borrowed upon that eventually come due...

Trade deficit = The balance between goods sold and goods imported.

2 very different animals.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »
However expanding on both BC and Salmon's comments the interesting thing to consider...which most don't do is where is that debt stored ? ?
It's important to track the trends of who your biggest creditors are and how efficiently you have spread your borrowing...
This is more an indicator of if you have a healthy debt to loss ratio than sheer numbers...

Anyone can borrow money for chrisssake...it's who you owe that says where you are financially...

Carry on...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »
In 1995 when I first got a mortgage to buy a £37,500 house, I was earning £15,000 per year, so my debt-to-annual-income ratio was 250%. I did not consider myself to be a basket case, even though at the start the interest rate was nearly 7%.

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 02:57:38 PM »

:'(  and pray tell me of any derogatory remarks i have made towards the country of America or in fact any country

and to all other readers i just put a clock in a post  ::)  if there was one for Britain i would have put it in

Mulreay

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »
Just to add my 2 pennies worth and I have no illusions of understanding all this to it's fullest. But when the UK bailed out the banks as they did in the US, the UK government owned a percentage of the banks that were helped. Surely this can then be off-set against the debt that is owed as this is income that should go directly to paying off said debt.
I may be way off but thought I would mention it.
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »
Just to add my 2 pennies worth and I have no illusions of understanding all this to it's fullest. But when the UK bailed out the banks as they did in the US, the UK government owned a percentage of the banks that were helped. Surely this can then be off-set against the debt that is owed as this is income that should go directly to paying off said debt.
I may be way off but thought I would mention it.

you are right but they said they will not sell them for about 4 or 5 years in that time the wealth will have increased and they will be debt free and so worth more , and so the gov; will have made money on the back of the banks by selling their shares

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »
if there was one for Britain i would have put it in

there is, and you didn't.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 03:34:02 PM »
there is, and you didn't.

its news to me if i find the link i'll put it in , there it is  :)

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »

:'(  and pray tell me of any derogatory remarks i have made towards the country of America or in fact any country

i did not think you would come back with an answer to the statement you made above