Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trouble with norton av  (Read 8490 times)

angie rezac

trouble with norton av
« on: June 19, 2004, 08:40:05 PM »
I installed my av program a few days ago. It won't let me register my produce, receive live updates or get on the tech web site.
Everytime I try to update or register, it says that I am not connected to the internet and to check that I am able to connect, and this is as the internet is running. Every time I try to get on the website, it comes up that the page is not available. Does anyone have any ideas for me?
The software will do a full scan, but it says that my virus definition is not up to date. I am worried that I could get a virus while I am trying to figure this out.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: trouble with norton av
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 09:09:11 PM »
    angie....there's a very good possibility that you have a virus on your machine........so try this go to the symantec site ......
    http://www.symantec.com/index.htm   and scroll down to the download section and click on the free security check......when it opens up click on virus scan ......and it will scan your system with the most current updates.....
    (before you do the scan be sure to shut down your Nortn Anti virus) ......and after it finishes I would go off line and uninstall the norton antivirus and reinstall it then try to activate and update .......the odd thing is even if you havent activated Norton antivirus it should let you update .......
    Is it Norton 2004 you have and do you have a firewall which may be preventing connection......Also do you have auto update turned on ?
    let us know how you make out ...

dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 09:14:17 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

angie rezac

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 09:28:33 PM »
    I had just gotten my computer back from the computer store, (had a virus) where I purchased the av software. I got home and installed the program. It ran the preinstall and then installed. I ran a full scan and everything was fine. I then connected to the internet and tried to register the program, and it wouldn't let me, and then I tried to do the live update and once again, it wouldn't do it because it said that it didn't have a connection to the internet, even though it was running the whole time. It was NAV 2004, and I do have a firewall on and the auto update on the av is on.

Any ideas???
    Thank you

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 12:22:34 AM »
      angie.....did the store happen to mention which virus your pc had......because there's a new one in the last few day......called W32.Korgo.l .....and what it does is prevents you from getting any Norton or Microsoft updates.......however there is a removal tool on symantecs site.... http://www.symantec.com/index.htm
      look at latest threats and click on the above one and you will go to the page on which the removal tool is......you may have to use another pc to get there and D/L it to a disk or cd and then run it on your machine ...
      The other thing is perhaps disable the firewall when your trying to get to Norton on the off chance that the firewall is stopping you .
      let us know how you make out

dl65  ???
      « Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 12:24:57 AM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

angie rezac

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 08:57:39 PM »
      Thank you for your reply. I tried disabling the firewall earlier, but it didn't help. I will have to try the D/L tomorrow, and go from there. I ran the scan again and found three trojan viruses, which NAV quarantined and removed. Will I have to do anything else, or did the av really take care of it? Once again, thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 04:46:42 AM »
      If Norton Anti Viruses quarantined them, you should be safe and sound.

You should do an extra online scan just in case.