Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer locks up using CD Rom and USB.  (Read 8820 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer locks up using CD Rom and USB.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
Sound like a hardware problem. To me. I had the same stuff happen to me and they told me it was my hard drive. That my hard drive was going out I don't know but that's what they told me at BestBuy.

You really should never believe people at places like Bestbuy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmNrm9vHBHs&feature=player_embedded

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9791372-7.html

As I noted in a thread here (started my Nathan, if I recall) I sure am glad I know how to fix these things myself; I get shudders thinking of all the people who actually trust places like bestbuy...

All that being said, It could very well be a hard drive problem; If it freezes Solid (no errors, no nothing; mouse stops moving- SOLID) it could be the hard drive. But it might not be.

Let me try to explain... First off, the optical drive is a 39pin. 
yes. Patio was probably thinking of the 80-conductor type ribbon cable, for IDE drives. There are two types of  ribbon cables, they both have 40 pinholes (one is sometimes plugged, as in your case):

The older 40-conductor cables(bottom):

and the newer 80-conductor cables:

(source: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html)

Basically, you need the newer one for faster hard drives- which pretty much means any hard drive. If yours is using the former type (40-conductor, thicker wires), get a replacement 80-conductor cable from a local store, and see if that helps.

Aside from that, we might be able to learn something from the bluescreen errors.

Download BlueScreenView from here
unzip the downloaded file, and double-click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to Edit - Select All
Go to File - Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply
[/quote]

Actually.. no i didnt think I had to mention it... computer runs fine as long as I don't use the CD-Rom or plug the printer or scanner in USB.  The error prior to me reformatting was something about a physical memory dump. I am just trying to figure out why my CD-Rom, Printer and Scanner are locking up my system.
It's impossible to say; there could be any number of causes, from a bad power supply to a damaged motherboard. The bluescreen info might be helpful, it could just be a bad USB driver.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:18:50 PM by BC_Programmer »
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

JIggens

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
    You really should never believe people at places like Bestbuy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmNrm9vHBHs&feature=player_embedded

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9791372-7.html

As I noted in a thread here (started my Nathan, if I recall) I sure am glad I know how to fix these things myself; I get shudders thinking of all the people who actually trust places like bestbuy...

All that being said, It could very well be a hard drive problem; If it freezes Solid (no errors, no nothing; mouse stops moving- SOLID) it could be the hard drive. But it might not be.

yes. Patio was probably thinking of the 80-conductor type ribbon cable, for IDE drives. There are two types of  ribbon cables, they both have 40 pinholes (one is sometimes plugged, as in your case):

The older 40-conductor cables(bottom):

and the newer 80-conductor cables:

(source: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html)

Basically, you need the newer one for faster hard drives- which pretty much means any hard drive. If yours is using the former type (40-conductor, thicker wires), get a replacement 80-conductor cable from a local store, and see if that helps.

Aside from that, we might be able to learn something from the bluescreen errors.

Download BlueScreenView from here
    unzip the downloaded file, and double-click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
    when scanning is done, go to Edit - Select All
    Go to File - Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
    Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

It's impossible to say; there could be any number of causes, from a bad power supply to a damaged motherboard. The bluescreen info might be helpful, it could just be a bad USB driver.

Here is what I got when I ran Bluescreenview

==================================================
    Dump File         : Mini100710-01.dmp
    Crash Time        : 10/7/2010 11:07:32 AM
    Bug Check String  : UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    Bug Check Code    : 0x1000007f
    Parameter 1       : 0x0000000d
    Parameter 2       : 0x00000000
    Parameter 3       : 0x00000000
    Parameter 4       : 0x00000000
    Caused By Driver  :
    Caused By Address :
    File Description  :
    Product Name      :
    Company           :
    File Version      :
    Processor         : 32-bit
    Computer Name     :
    Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100710-01.dmp
    Processors Count  : 2
    Major Version     : 15
    Minor Version     : 2600

Dump File         : Mini100610-03.dmp
    Crash Time        : 10/6/2010 3:50:32 PM
    Bug Check String  : MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    Bug Check Code    : 0x0000009c
    Parameter 1       : 0x00000004
    Parameter 2       : 0x8054d5f0
    Parameter 3       : 0xb2000010
    Parameter 4       : 0x00010c0f
    Caused By Driver  :
    Caused By Address :
    File Description  :
    Product Name      :
    Company           :
    File Version      :
    Computer Name     :
    Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100610-03.dmp

Dump File         : Mini100610-02.dmp
    Crash Time        : 10/6/2010 3:45:52 PM
    Bug Check String  : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Bug Check Code    : 0x100000d1
    Parameter 1       : 0xf8000018
    Parameter 2       : 0x00000002
    Parameter 3       : 0x00000000
    Parameter 4       : 0xf1716d3c
    Caused By Driver  :
    Caused By Address :
    File Description  :
    Product Name      :
    Company           :
    File Version      :
    Computer Name     :
    Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100610-02.dmp

Dump File         : Mini100610-01.dmp
    Crash Time        : 10/6/2010 2:55:54 PM
    Bug Check String  : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    Bug Check Code    : 0x10000050
    Parameter 1       : 0xc225cf74
    Parameter 2       : 0x00000000
    Parameter 3       : 0x805407c4
    Parameter 4       : 0x00000000
    Caused By Driver  :
    Caused By Address :
    File Description  :
    Product Name      :
    Company           :
    File Version      :
    Computer Name     :
    Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100610-01.dmp

dj-allen

Rookie
    « Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »
    If you're a user of Windows XP or Windows Vista, Microsoft includes a program called Error Checking which can perform some very basic tests and can even attempt to correct errors as it finds them. Here is a web page that List of the Best Free Hard Drive Testing Tools http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm You can do that. And it was not my computer it was my grandma's and she had to take it there or else it would void her warranty. So we had to take it there and the new hard drive was free.

OpenSource

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 08:49:18 PM »
      Wow.  Usually BSODs are pretty consistant but yours are all over the place.  You mentioned a graphic driver earlier; have you installed any 'driver update' type of 3rd party program?  Have you updated your BIOS to the wrong version?  I would also recommend re-seating your RAM and checking your BIOS version and maybe see if your manufacturer has released an update.  I doubt the HDD is at fault here, but from what you've told me it sounds like a BIOS, ram, or a motherboard problem.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 11:21:13 PM »
      Wow.  Usually BSODs are pretty consistant but yours are all over the place.
      BSOD's are more likely to be "all over the place" then consistent, especially when it comes to hardware problems.

You mentioned a graphic driver earlier; have you installed any 'driver update' type of 3rd party program?  Have you updated your BIOS to the wrong version? 

The wrong BIOS version would cause the computer to be unable to boot, and even if it didn't it wouldn't cause BSOD's "all over the place"

I would also recommend re-seating your RAM

Agree, since RAM could be the cause. But the Power supply, CPU, or motherboard could just as easily be as well; and one of the modules itself could be faulty.

and checking your BIOS version and maybe see if your manufacturer has released an update.
      the BIOS is almost entirely redundant here, the BIOS is a piece of software, and all software is deterministic. Therefore, so too would the BSOD's be deterministic; but, as you observed yourself, they are "all over the place", so clearly a piece of software is unlikely to be the cause.

JIggens

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 04:08:57 AM »
        Well, I can now install some cds through the cd rom, but others freeze it solid.  Tried usbs and i can use one, but more than that computer still freezes solid!!

JIggens

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 07:24:12 AM »
          I did a driver scan... drivers all up to date... Here is my computer info. hope it will help solve my problems.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

OpenSource

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 02:31:28 PM »
            "The wrong BIOS version would cause the computer to be unable to boot, and even if it didn't it wouldn't cause BSOD's "all over the place"

Where are you getting your information?

I usually see stop 7b errors a lot when there is a problem with the hard drive booting, etc.  Most blue screen errors are very consistant. 

I have also seen really wierd things when the wrong BIOS version is installed.  For instance on one customer's computer they had the wrong bios version installed and they couldn't plug the keyboard and mouse in at the same time without the computer freezing.  Updated the bios and viola!  problem fixed.  A driver update site or downloader could have very possibly detected his system and simply have given him an incorrect (but close) bios update.  I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN.

Not sure where you're getting your information, but once you've gotten a little more hands-on experience (I have about 13 years worth), you start seeing certain patterns.

Also, without seeing the computer, who knows what's wrong with it.  I'm just going by what information I've been given.  You consistantly undermine my posts with your false information....is your epeen shrinking or something?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 02:41:04 PM »
            You are on the short road to banland.
            « Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:55:18 PM by kpac »

JIggens

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
              The last piece of info I got from Drivermax. I wanted to make sure all drivers were up to date, which they were. I have more experience with software than hardware, and if this is a hardware problem I need to know.  I have self taught myself everything I know. But this is frustrating me and I need to fix it, but keep getting different advice.  I am still not sure where to start looking for the problem.

OpenSource

Beginner

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 03:29:42 PM »
                Ah ok drivermax.  Now we're getting somewhere.

I would go to your computer's manufaturer website and download your original chipset/motherboard drivers and uninstall drivermax.

JIggens

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
                  Driver max is a driver scanner... once I am done using a program I always uninstall it if I am not going to use it any further.  My bios seem fine but thank you for you suggestion.  Tried using CD Rom today... It froze my computer solid AGAIN.  Tried plugging printer and scanner in USB ports. Darn thing froze.  I am about to throw the flippin thing out the window. Now my display is blinking, twitching. Tested to see if it was the monitor, its not. 

This computer is crying for help and I can not for the life of me understand whats wrong!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »
                  "The wrong BIOS version would cause the computer to be unable to boot, and even if it didn't it wouldn't cause BSOD's "all over the place"

Where are you getting your information?
                  The Wrong BIOS version would affect the BIOS code. The BIOS code takes a backseat once the computer switches to protected mode. BIOS code can only run in real-mode. The fact is, the "wrong" BIOS version would be more likely to cause a completely and entirely unbootable situation. BIOS version-related-issues can only surface during the short time the BIOS code has control. As far as hard drive "support" from the BIOS goes, I suppose there is a corner case: 1999-era and earlier PCs often have BIOS updates that overcome BIOS hard drive size limitations; however, the problems caused by an older (version without said "patch") will nearly always be an unrecoverable hang when the BIOS inspects the IDE device using the ATA Identify command or the drive will be misrecognized. You may be thinking "aha! so you agree with me!" but no. If the BIOS was the wrong version then this misrecognition would have occured from the get-go, it wouldn't have suddenly cropped up out of nowhere.

I usually see stop 7b errors a lot when there is a problem with the hard drive booting, etc.  Most blue screen errors are very consistant. 
                  This of course has nothing to do with the BIOS (although it can be caused by using AHCI with a older OS that doesn't have built-in SATA support, but that's an OS problem, not a BIOS problem), and is a problem with the loader/device driver, or possibly the drive itself. When I used the words "more likely to be 'all over the place' then consistent, especially when it comes to hardware problems." I meant, it's more likely, not 100% surefire to be all over the place; and by hardware, I was referring more to the CPU, RAM, IDE controllers... or IDE cables... and various other solid-state devices, not necessarily the hard drive, which is probably not the issue (given the all-over-the-place nature). I admit my wording was ambiguous there. Perhaps I should introduce a nitpickers corner.

I have also seen really wierd things when the wrong BIOS version is installed.  For instance on one customer's computer they had the wrong bios version installed and they couldn't plug the keyboard and mouse in at the same time without the computer freezing.  Updated the bios and viola!  problem fixed.  A driver update site or downloader could have very possibly detected his system and simply have given him an incorrect (but close) bios update.  I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN.

Several things; first, that isn't a BSOD. second, the incorrect BIOS was initializing the PS/2 bus wrong. There is no denying the wrong BIOS can cause problems, but it can only cause problems within the few seconds it's active. Usually the wrong version means an entirely unbootable system. lastly, that could very well have been a case of an outdated BIOS, or possibly a revision with a bug that causes that (initializing the PS/2 Bus incorrectly, causing concurrency issues). (and if this was USB, even more so; the USB root hubs on the motherboard are of course initialized by the BIOS (for keyboard support as well as the ability to boot from Mass storage devices). If the wrong version is installed this bus may not be initialized properly. causing the issues you perceived.

I'm just going by what information I've been given.
                  Right. We all are. And the fact is at the very least IMO this problem is almost certainly not BIOS related going by that information.

You consistantly undermine my posts with your false information....
                  I'm not following you around... you're just posting and I see the threads. And I respond to your posts. Wether I'm undermining you with "false" information is clearly a matter of perspective.
                  Quote from: OpenSource
                  is your epeen shrinking or something?

Yes, mine is, sure....

Quote from: OpenSource
                  Not sure where you're getting your information, but once you've gotten a little more hands-on experience (I have about 13 years worth), you start seeing certain patterns.

I have experience too. Funny how I've never felt it important enough to mention. In fact, you'll note that my certifications list in my profile is empty. But I could fill it with several; I just feel that they are almost wholly redundant, since almost all the tests I needed for them could probably have been passed by a grade-schooler (and those that didn't are wholly irrelevant to this site, so posting them would be even more vain). Until IT actually becomes a profession (things like licenses and regulatory agencies like they have for law firms, contractors, Accountants, etc) almost all "certifications" will be wholly meaningless and merely words on paper. And I refuse to hold out said paper in front of others as some sort of pseudo trump card "Oh yeah, well I have certifications! So I must be right! I have experience! So I trump u!". This is pretty much the same reason I listed my experience as "Experienced". I let my posts speak for themselves, and people can decide for themselves. (which I suppose they would do anyway).
                  Pre-emptive snarky comment: "Well I have decided for MYSELF! LOL!"

Ah ok drivermax.  Now we're getting somewhere.

I would go to your computer's manufaturer website and download your original chipset/motherboard drivers and uninstall drivermax.

Agreed. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

OpenSource

Beginner

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 06:48:36 PM »
                    Wow bc.  You have way too much time on your hands to write an entire essay on one of my sentances.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 08:26:28 AM »
                    You ain't seen nuthin yet....
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "