Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video card problems please help  (Read 21179 times)

Matt

Re: Video card problems please help
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 12:38:52 AM »
Hi,
I took the video card down to the shop and they tested it in there computer and it worked, they told me to take it back home and reset the bios defaults and also short the cmos using a jumper, I reset the bios defaults but how long do I leave the jumper on the cmos for after it sucsefully shorts the memory should be reset and when the screen comes on the bios should be there and ask you to do something.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 12:56:24 AM »
    Matt......I don't think you have to leave it shorted very long......a minute should be plenty

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Matt

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 02:06:29 AM »
    Ok i've tried this shorting thing heaps now
    First at 3sec - nothing
    then at 30sec - nothing
    then at 30min - nothing
    But my moniter still refuses to turn on with the new video card.
    How do I know if the CMOS is reset?

My video card works in the computer shops computer (I have seen this myself)

They told me it should defently work because its PCI and they have got this card working in older boards than mine.

I appreciate your help so far, but I'm begining to think GOD dosn't like me and is just playing around. >:( >:( >:(

Matt

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004, 02:24:13 AM »
    Ok stuff that whole shorting the cmos thing, I just cant get it to work.

If nobody else has any more sujestions I'm taking it to the shop to have it looked at.

Oh yeah I found out the Video card is compatible with my motherboard so really IT SHOULD WORK!

And its not the power supply either, the guy at the shop said 250W should be fine.

Matt

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 03:46:11 AM »
    hhhmmmmmm I figured out the shorting the cmos thing it turns out my computer had to be on for it to work, but yes it still didnt work, I had my old video card in when I reset the CMOS so when I stared up the computer it said load bios defaults and some cmos error so I shut down and put the new video card in and the screen still dosnt turn on.

I did a test, I put my old video card back in and installed the drivers then I shut down and put the new video card in the PCI slot right next to it, I started the computer up and the screen didnt turn on so I took the new video card out and started the computer up again and the screen turns on. So this tells us

1. The screen will work when connected to my old video card.
    2. The screen will not turn on if the new video card is installed in any of the slots, even if the moniter isn't connected to it.
    3. If my old video card is installed and working everything is fine but if I put the new one in at the same time and not connect it to the moniter still the moniter dosnt turn on.

Hope this helps otherwise I'll have to pay $40.00 regardless if they promised me it would work.

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2004, 04:36:41 AM »
    Matt, listen to Voidangel.

Stop wasting money AND time on this PC, it's not worth the frustration. You say your goal is to play 'Nowaday's games'? You're not going to achieve that with your current rig.

I suggest you return the videocard and demand a refund, they sold you a videocard not compatible with your system and therefore, they should take it back. You should look into buying a new machine if playing high-end games is what you want

By the way when you reset your BIOS 10 seconds should be long enough. Either shortciruit your CMOS or pry out your BIOS battery for 10 seconds.

The salesmen will try to sell you anything. When you ask if something's made of decent quality, he'll always tell you yes. Either because he needs to suck up to his boss or because he doesn't know enough about it. You see, anyone can sell a product but not everyone can tell you about the product.

Your mainboard is probably not compatible with your videocard. You might want to try contacting ASUS again. You may have sent in a faulty E-mail. Some companies require you to have a special word in the subject bar so it is not recognized as spam (Like AMD does..)
    « Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 04:38:34 AM by Raptor »

Matt

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2004, 06:17:59 PM »
    I'm not thinking about playing $200 games, my friend got GTA 3 and vice city working on his computer with a 500mhz processor and his video card isnt that good either.

Will updating the BIOS or PCIset or something else fix it?
    I really think I can make it work, here is my motherboards manual in PDF format http://www.asus.com/pub/asus/mb/sock7/430hx/p55t2p4/p55t2p4-311.pdf
    I just dont see why this card wont work with what I've got, my goal now is to get it working maybe when I get more money I will sort this gaming issue out but its not on my mind anymore.

Raptor

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 05:54:33 AM »
    If the BIOS updates contain a fix for video cards/PCI slots you might have found a solution.

Matt

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 04:40:21 PM »
    I think I have found the problem, last night after updating the BIOS the video card still didn't work but it did detect a whole other bunch of stuff on my system, so I put my old one back in and now that dosn't work I think its my motherboard. My friend has a motherboard sitting under his bed doing nothng so he's going to bring it over today, its the same size but I think its more newer. I'll try it but if it dosnt work I'm just going down to the shop to have it fixed. Thanks alot everyone if I can get it to work I will post how I did it and what happened for future reference. Thanks