Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: weirdness with my SB X-fi and HP Tx2  (Read 2455 times)

aBenteVent

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    weirdness with my SB X-fi and HP Tx2
    « on: October 11, 2010, 09:20:55 AM »
    My sound crackles and pops, it seems like their is some sort of delay and or slow motion going on too. It is hard to tell because the sound is sooo distorted. This happens whenever I play any type of audio, (VLC, FL Studio, Window's Media Player, even system sounds...)

I figured getting an external sound card would solve the problem, so I bought a creative X-fi notebook card, and I am getting the same thing from it.

I have messed around with just about every setting in the control panel and nothings working. I have updated drivers as well.

My specs: HP Touchsmart tx2
    Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
    AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHZ
    4 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Creative SB X-fi notebook

I experience the distortion/crackling through the built in speakers, headphones, line out to external speakers, however I can still burn cds and render audio in FL studio, whether or not that matters I am not sure.

truenorth

Guru

Re: weirdness with my SB X-fi and HP Tx2
      « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 11:31:28 AM »
      Searching on your behalf i came across the following responce to another having this problem. It is not the "driver" portion that may interest you but the "KHZ" setting.
      plasmastorm   09-18-2009 at 11:08:11 PM

Sounds like incompatible drivers, had the same issue myself a few times in vista. Try the latest and if that does not work they try one a few months old just incase.

Also worth checking the sound control panel to see what Khz range the output is set to, if it is higher than you sound card supports this can happen.
      Reply to plasmastorm

dvalval   09-19-2009 at 07:19:43 PM

Hello everyone,
      Thanks for your knowledge. I checked the drivers, and previously reinstalled them. They show compatibility. I reset the Khz range to match. I left it at Dolby live at 48000 hz. The sound is working 100% better. There is still some didtorstion when play cd's through the speakers. But the sound is audible and I was able know to get sound through my HDTV speakers using an SPDIF to RCA connections. It is working. It could sound better but for know it is acceptable.
      Are there any suggestions to eliminate that distortion? I have already invested in some high quality cables.

Thanks
        The credit for this information belongs to the following site which also contains further answers to your issue incase the one i have provided does not solve it.
      http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266923-28-crackling-distorted-sound-problem
          Good luck,truenorth

aBenteVent

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
        the weirdness gets weirder, i did everything. sound is still distorted. however, if i leave my "sound" window open, and only if i have the "recording" tab open, with the built in microphone enabled, but the X-fi enabled as the default device, i get almost clear sound, good enough to live with, though this is going to drive me nuts.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »
        This would mean it's a software issue...not hardware.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aBenteVent

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:05:35 PM »
          strange. maybe a windows re-install will do the trick? or could it be additional software i've added, malware or spyware? maybe i will roll the hard drive back to july.