Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook express  (Read 3069 times)

reclevb

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Outlook express
    « on: October 15, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
    Outlook express allows e-mails etc to come in, but I cannot send.  When I try to send an e-mail, the dialog box will take the address , to:--- and will accept a cc: address and a subject, but when I try to type in the e-mail, nothing happens.  The cursor does not show up in the body of the e-mail when I tab after typing the "subject" of the e-mail.
         I have had the  problem before and the fix was simple, but what I did to fix it has escaped my memory.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    *censored* C!

email addy removed.
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:19:54 PM by patio »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Outlook express
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »
    Change your SMTP settings...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

reclevb

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:33:07 AM »
      Patio.  Thanks for the input.  I have two computers that use the same e-mail supplier.  I don't know what change I can make to my SMTP's since they are the same on both computers.  Maybe you could enlighten me as to what changes I could make.  The last time I fixed it, I know it was a simple fix.   Thanks again1  RSVP!
      Reclev  (should not be Reclevb, I just hit two keys at the same time.)

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »
      If you're using Outlook Express on both computers, which I understand you are doing, export the email account from the computer in which you can send and import it to the other computer.  An OE exported email account is a file ending in .iaf. 

Otherwise, visit the website of your ISP and search for the instructions on creating an email account in OE and carefully review your settings.

reclevb

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
        Thanks, Soybean.

Is that exported file sent via e-mail, CD or any of the above.  I have not had much success exporting and importing files like WAB. etc.  I would have to change the addresses and the password also in the receiving computer, would I not?

Thanks again. 

reclev

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
        You can export only the email account. This would not affect addresses in your Address Book.  As far as password, I presume we're talking about using the same email account on both computers. So, the password would be the same.  Or, do I not understand all the details of your situation?

Do you have a flash drive?  I'd use a flash drive to move the .iaf file from one computer to the other.  However, you could save it to CD (awfully small file to put on a CD) or you could email it to yourself, as you mentioned.

To export the email account, as explained at http://www.abf-soft.com/outlook-express-export.shtml: Go to the Tools>Accounts, choose an account to export and click Export button. Your account will be saved as *.iaf file.