Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: virus that hops network shares  (Read 3990 times)

lrieken

virus that hops network shares
« on: July 28, 2005, 06:55:30 PM »
can anyone tell me if it is possible for a Mac connected to a network, and logged into windows servers to infect the windows computers even though the virus is not one that would infect a mac?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: virus that hops network shares
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 07:00:59 PM »
    lrieken.... Have you been sharing known infected files with the win pcs on the network ? I would have to say yes you could probably infect those other machines . Do you have a anti virus app on your Mac ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

lrieken

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 09:03:15 PM »
    We do not currently run antivirus software on the Macs and have not shared known infected files, but we were recently infected with a worm that is in the scbot family that only AVG from Grisoft has been able to detect. Macafee, Comp Assc., and Norton were not able to detect it, and still have no info on it. It attempted to log on as common users and locked out accounts in active directories, modified some registry enteries and started the winamp service several times. We update AV software daily. it is CA's InoculatIT. Our email runs through Message Labs, any Ideas on what it could be or how we were infested?  

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 07:10:12 AM »
    can anyone tell me if it is possible for a Mac connected to a network, and logged into windows servers to infect the windows computers even though the virus is not one that would infect a mac?

What is the exact name of the worm you detected?

uisquebeathus

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 08:06:33 AM »
    the worms ScBot and D2SkyBot are a very nasty and also hard to remove, the damage to security and systems is severe and may resort to a complete format and start again