Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buying a Linux computer help  (Read 5688 times)

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

Buying a Linux computer help
    « on: October 18, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »
    We are UK based, and getting a new programme (Caldera Grand Rip+) which only runs on Linux. The spec that has been suggested by the French comapny that sells the programme is:

ANTEC THREE HUNDRED CASE
    POWER SUPPLY 520W CMPU-520HX
    MOTHER CARD GIGABYTE INTEL GA-EP55-UD5 LGA1156
    INTEL PROCESSOR I5 750 LGA1156 2.66 Ghz
    MEMORY 4 Gb DDR3-1333 Mhz
    HARD DRIVE 750GB SATA-II 7200rpm 32Mb cache
    RACK FOR HARD DRIVE SATA ICY BOX IB-128SK-B
    NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD
    DVD R/W
    FIREWIRE / SERIAL / USB
    2 ONBOARD NIC's 10/100/1000 Mps
    UNIVERSAL CARD READER
    SILENT FAN 120x120mm 16.1db max
    ASSEMBLED + Pre-loaded with LinuxOS

Does anyone know a good place to purchase something like this (as I've only ever bought Dell etc in the past  ::))

many thanks for your help  :)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Buying a Linux computer help
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:03:29 AM »
    I'm not familiar with that software program but some of the requirements seem unnecessary, after viewing http://www.caldera.com/en/index_en.php.  However, I did not find system requirements stated on their website. But, why, for example, 2 ONBOARD NIC's 10/100/1000 Mps and RACK FOR HARD DRIVE SATA ICY BOX IB-128SK-B?

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »
      Thanks for your help, the spec was emailed to me by one of their sales team. I am not at familiar with what most of the trma mean...

''2 ONBOARD NIC's 10/100/1000 Mps'' - don't know what these are, but when the programe is''ripping'' (ie working out complicated stuff) does this mean that because there are '2' of them it allows you to work on other things at the same time?

''Rack for hard drive...'' - I dont know what this means

???

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:19:59 AM »
      NIC means Network Interface Controller.  In other words, it's the port to which you connect an ethernet cable which would also be connected to a router or modem for your Internet connection or connection to a LAN (Local Area Network).  Most computers now have the NIC integrated into the motherboard but an expansion card can also be added by installing it in a PCI slot on the motherboard.  So, you buy a computer with the typical single onboard/integrated NIC, you could add a second one, if necessary, by installing an expansion card. 

These cards can be purchased for as little as $15. So, I would say don't worry about whether a new computer has 2 NIC's because you can add one later if necessary.

Regarding "Rack for hard drive...", I'm not absolutely sure what they mean; my guess is that they're talking about this type of external hard drive: http://reviews.cnet.com/i-o-cards/raidsonic-icy-box-ib/1707-3019_7-32527357.html.  But, why this is listed as a requirement by Caldera Grand Rip+ eludes me.  In other words, why are they saying an external hard drive, regardless of brand or particular specifications, is needed, and why do they specifically mention ICY BOX IB-128SK-B?  I'd be inclined to try to get answers from them on these points.

indogo

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 04:50:06 AM »
        I would suggest they are having a French joke on you...looks like they gave you the spec of their machine. (Don't ask for directions in France lol)
        The software simply converts postscipt data for commercial printing...any decent machine could handle that.

There are machines preloaded with linux though they tend to be netbooks....a PC with no operating system is probably the closest ($300+) and then grab (download) any linux you prefer...you would install it like you would windows. The software itself will probably be a self installing .bin file.

I'm guessing you have been volenteered for the task of getting this running

good luck

mike

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 10:02:48 AM »
        The software simply converts postscipt data for commercial printing...any decent machine could handle that.
        Thanks for that info.  It should be helpful to KerryE.

There are machines preloaded with linux though they tend to be netbooks....

Two other options which might avoid the need to purchase another computer:
        1) install Linux on an existing Windows computer in a dual-boot configuration. This allows you to start the computer under either Windows or Linux.
        2) install the Linux OS as a Virtual Machine (VM), using VM software such as Orcale's VirtualBox or VMware Player.  This allows running Windows and Linux simultaneously on the same machine.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »
        Don't ask for directions in France

Why not?

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 12:17:42 AM »
          Thank you for the replys.

I will be looking for a pc pre-loaded with Linux over the next few days.

Expect tp get lots of queries regarding Linux on this forum in the near future  :)

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • ThomasTheXPUser
          « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
          I've heard of preloaded PCs with Ubuntu.

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
          Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
          There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

FlyFishing

Greenhorn

• Fly Fishing
          « Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 07:44:12 AM »
          Thank you for the replys.

I will be looking for a pc pre-loaded with Linux over the next few days.

Expect tp get lots of queries regarding Linux on this forum in the near future  :)

Were you able to find a computer pre-loaded with Linux? Generally, I head over to my local hardware guy and tell him to build me a machine, and then install Linux (Redhat for servers and non-desktop use, OpenSuse for desktops) myself.

Often found on a stream or lake, fly fishing. Always careful of the dui penalties after sipping from the flask though!