Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Active Directory/Server advice required, please  (Read 15595 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Active Directory/Server advice required, please
    « on: October 18, 2010, 06:44:19 AM »
    Hello

I am just looking for some general guidance.

I have a job interview soon as a P/T systems administrator. It's a small working environment with about 25 users (the company staff) and the role involves administering user accounts and networks. I have network experience, but only in large enterprises which have used Cisco switches, Windows and Linux servers, etc so I feel a bit unsure.

How many users are required before a small office starts to think about using its own server and Active Directory?

Any other advise would be appreciated.

Many thanks

high1

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Active Directory/Server advice required, please
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »
    There are no requirements for number of users in Active Directory. You could set up an AD infrastructure at home if you really wanted to. AD gives you much better security than workgroups do. Also, AD helps with administration of users and shares.
    I would suggest starting implementing AD after around 5-10 users.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:41:19 AM »
      Hello michaewlewis

Many thanks for your reply.

At the moment, the company concerned does not back up its work so I have suggested to them to back their work up to a server. I imagine creating user accounts on the server using AD. This would then synchronise with their accounts on individual workstations. Once they have logged in to their local workstation, the user would be able to save to the server (rather than the local machine) by clicking on a desktop icon which would open up the up the various drives available to the user.

Is this how AD is used?

Many thanks again.

Cheers

high1

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:39:16 AM »
      Is this how AD is used?

No. It sounds like what you're really after is just a simple file server or a NAS. You might look into getting a cheap NAS at www.newegg.com and setting up regular backups of all your critical data.

However, a domain controller can also easily act as a file server since domain services (AD, DNS, DHCP, etc.) don't consume a whole lot of resources. Take a look around over at TechNet (www.technet.com) and read up a bit on Active Directory and domain services. Since you already are working with 25 users, I think you should work on setting up a domain for your network (after establishing regular backups, of course).

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 03:28:50 AM »
        Hello michaewlewis

Many thanks again for your helpful reply.

I'll take a look at the technet site. I think I agree that a domain is necessary, so I will read up on that. I probably just want files stored safely at the moment in a central place (server), with the ability to assign permissions as to who can share and access those files in that central place.

There is no documentation available in this small company - it looks as if different people at different times have simply installed a router, half-installed a server, hooked up a kind of switch, without leaving any CDs or documentation for any equipment or software. It's a one-man business which has suddenly grown and the IT side of things have been neglected.

I'm just going to go in and keep things basic for the moment until I have a clearer picture of the lay of the land: document IP addresses, hardware details, Mac addresses, etc and try to start from scratch.

Very many thanks for your help.

High1

killerb255

Adviser
          « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:56:30 AM »
          Hello michaewlewis

Many thanks again for your helpful reply.

I'll take a look at the technet site. I think I agree that a domain is necessary, so I will read up on that. I probably just want files stored safely at the moment in a central place (server), with the ability to assign permissions as to who can share and access those files in that central place.

There is no documentation available in this small company - it looks as if different people at different times have simply installed a router, half-installed a server, hooked up a kind of switch, without leaving any CDs or documentation for any equipment or software. It's a one-man business which has suddenly grown and the IT side of things have been neglected.

I'm just going to go in and keep things basic for the moment until I have a clearer picture of the lay of the land: document IP addresses, hardware details, Mac addresses, etc and try to start from scratch.

Very many thanks for your help.

High1

As a consultant for small businesses, I've run into this situation a lot.  Ideally, every environment should have everything documented and easily accessible.  Realistically, that's not always the case. 

Yep, Technet is your friend.  Subscription prices are VERY inexpensive for the amount of evaluation software you get out of it.  Try out Small Business Server 2008 on a spare PC (must be 64-bit with at least 4 GB of RAM) or virtual machine (VirtualBox is free and supports 64-bit...just make sure your host PC has enough RAM and is running a 64-bit OS).

If you like it, you may want to look into setting up Small Business Server 2008 on their main server.  This will give them:

1) Active Directory (management of computer accounts, user accounts, etc.)
          2) Exchange (e-mail)
          3) Sharepoint (Intranet site for collaboration, if that's your thing)
          4) File server (Store files there, create shares, and assign share/NTFS permissions)
          5) DNS (Domain Name Services, translates friendly names and IP addresses)
          6) DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, for automatically assigning IP addresses to stuff)
          7) RRAS (Routing and Remote Access, for VPNing in if they want to do that). 
          8) WSUS (for managing Windows Updates at a central location)
          9) Windows Server Backup (use that, a removable hard drive bay (this is what we use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994062), a SATA hot-pluggable controller card based on a Silicon Image chipset, and a bunch of SATA drives for your daily or weekly backups (whichever is appropriate)). 

Granted you can get all but #2 through a regular Windows Server 2008 (or R2) license (you'll have to download #3 and #8 separately), but SBS CALs (Client Access Licenses) are cheaper than the combined price of regular server CALs and Exchange CALs.

Another option would be to wait for the next versions of Small Business Server, which are currently code-named:
          1) Small Business Server "7" (has updated versions of all that I listed above)
          2) Small Business Server "Aurora" (basically "Windows Home Server for Small Businesses", for less than 25 users, and #2 is hosted offsite through Microsoft for something like $10/user/month). 

Two other things can be your friend as well in the spaghetti environment you ran into:

Lansweeper: http://www.lansweeper.com.  You'll have to set up SQL Server 2005, 2008, or 2008 R2 Express (or better) on a server to get it set up, but once you do, it is EXCELLENT for inventorying all the PCs in the environment!  The free version should be all you need for now, but if you really like it, the Premium Tools may be worth paying for.

TheDude: http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php.  Have this bad boy discover and all of a sudden, it will map out the entire environment!
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 06:21:28 AM »
            Hello killerb

Very many thanks for all your advice, and the links. I've actually saved this page so I can call on it for assistance.

I used to think IT/server/network consultants were mightily overpaid, but now I'm not so sure!!

The company already has a server (one tetrabyte) which I thought would do just fine, but then I realised they didd not have the log-ins to access the server (win 2008) desktop, so I have suggested they scrub it and buy a new CD.

That didn't go down too well, but first things first!!

Thanks again for all your useful comments and help.

Cheers

high1

Sid

Apprentice
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »
              The company already has a server (one tetrabyte) which I thought would do just fine, but then I realised they didd not have the log-ins to access the server (win 2008) desktop, so I have suggested they scrub it and buy a new CD.

What?

daisylee0510

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 08:23:12 PM »

Great forum!!! Thanks for the information guys. Now I know what to do when I encounter things like this.

prem joshi

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 01:59:37 AM »
              please help me i am begainer in server
              please explian  activ directory.....

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:58:29 AM »
              please help me i am begainer in server
              please explian  activ directory.....

First, go to www.microsoft.com/server.
              Second, when asking for help, start your own thread. http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?action=post;board=47.0
              Third, if you want more information, ask more specific questions.