Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: mysterious files appearing  (Read 7388 times)

local

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    mysterious files appearing
    « on: October 20, 2010, 06:56:39 AM »
     Some time ago (maybe a month or more) my computer was infected with a Trojan which i removed with the free version of Malware bytes, a few days later i noticed files that had seemingly appeared overnight on my computer. I'm not sure if the Trojan had anything to do with it but that's the only thing i could think of that could have caused this.
     Most of the files which are appearing are notepad files all named "desktop" and inside is a lot of words/numbers which don't make much sense to me, the other type of files which have been appearing are JPEG images. The icons for these files are a lighter shade as if I've "cut" them and mostly appear in my music files.
     Here's a link to a screen shot i took:    http://imgur.com/q3Lma.jpg
     The JPEG images contain album art which was not in the folder before hand. The text inside the "desktop" file is as follows:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    FolderType=MusicAlbum
    MusicBuyUrl=http://redir.metaservices.microsoft.com/redir/buynow/?providerName=AMG&albumID=291B432A-560D-4D1F-BD0D-5B7DC8848876&a_id=R%20%20%20548678&album=Love%20and%20Theft&artistID=B54B4886-31A9-4EC7-9898-0472EFDD9405&p_id=P%20%20%20%20%204147&artist=Bob%20Dylan&locale=409&geoid=f2&version=11.0.6002.18111&userlocale=809

some details about my computer:
    Processor:        Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU  Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Memory (RAM):     4.00GB
    system type:      32-bit Operating System

Some possibly useful information: A friend brought around a memory stick containing some files on it, when we viewed it through my computer lots of these mystery files appeared. My friend told me that he saw none of these files on his computer and they only seemed to be visible when viewing through my computer.
     Any help / ideas about what i can do to remove / hide these files would be appreciated!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: mysterious files appearing
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:20:57 AM »
    Both you and your friend are now re-infected...

Clik Here  and follow the info on posting your logs...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:20:54 AM »
    files are a lighter shade as if I've "cut" them and mostly appear in my music files
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. The reason why the icons are like that is because they are files that have the hidden attribute. These files can be set to be displayed or not in windows explorer. I am guessing you have it set to view hidden files (probably not set that way by you), so you see the files on your comp, but not on his. If you delete these files and they don't come back, then don't worry about it.

It is always a good idea to post some logs anyway like patio suggested, just in case.

memory stick containing some files on it
    FYI: When opening a memory stick, never use the box that pops up automatically to access the files. You can get viruses that way.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

local

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »
       Thanks for the replies guys!
       I did a quick internet search for "hidden files" on vista (not sure why i didn't think of adding hidden in my search before) and found how to stop my computer from displaying them. So everything is fixed and like it was before as far as i can see, but just in case i attached my logs as instructed in the link. (hopefully I've managed to attach the logs to this post, if not I'll try again)

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »
      I'll take the liberty to move this over to the Malware section then....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "