Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Picky wireless  (Read 2442 times)

LexyJenrex

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Picky wireless
    « on: November 02, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
    I just got an Acer Aspire 5553G laptop and I've been getting weak signals in rooms away from where the router is. My old four year old computer works just fine but this brand new one seems to not do so well. I'm running a shared WEP encryption connection and the router is a Netgear. As for some specs:

This is the computer I'm using now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115855

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Picky wireless
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »
    I've been getting weak signals in rooms

Some Wireless Standards can get obstructed(walls) and interference from appliances that have signal frequencies. The weaker the signal range your WLAN is capable, the harder it tends to receive. Finding the right spot away from this signals will help you maximize your wi-fi connection.

licoriceallsorts

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Picky wireless
    « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:56:41 PM »
    Hi, I had the same problem with an Acer laptop. The signal showing on it was weaker than a desktop pc when placed side by side. I installed bigger aerials on my linksys router but didnt help much. My solution was to hard wire another router closer to where the laptop was used. The second router was configured as an access point, and I now have full strength showing on both laptop and pc. The only downside to this is connecting the 2 routers by ethernet cable, you may or may not be able to easily do that?