Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Optical Mouse  (Read 3247 times)

derlehrer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Optical Mouse
« on: November 01, 2010, 11:25:28 AM »
Are all optical mice defective by nature? The first one I had, connected via USB port to my Compaq Presidio 500, went berserk -- sometimes freezing, sometimes jumping all over the place. I threw it away. (Fortunately, the touchpad still works!) The second one, after a few months, started doing the same thing! It is a Green Leaf 18-8410. Is there a way to repair it, or is it also destined for the trash heap?
 ???
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
--George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionists

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
Re: Optical Mouse
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »
The only optical mouse I ever had failed. It was one of those cheap ones with the retractable cords though.

EDIT: Whoops. I thought you said laser mice for some reason. I actually haven't had any optical mouse fail before :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:23:12 PM by Linux711 »
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »
I have had an optical mouse for 6 years (2004 to 2010) which always worked perfectly (a Genius Webscroll). The only reason I am not using it right now is because a new Microsoft keyboard and (optical) mouse came with my new PC. It is still im daily sue with another PC, and another Genius optical mouse I bought about 6 months later as a gift for somebody is still working fine. I really hate ball mice.

Are all optical mice defective by nature? The first one I had [...] went berserk. The second one, after a few months, started doing the same thing!

You have sample precisely two optical mice. One at least is a cheap Chinese brand...

It is a Green Leaf 18-8410

The other one you do not specify. Get a good brand. Buy cheap, buy twice, my grandfather used to say!

derlehrer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
Just to see if something had come loose inside, I took it apart to look. There was nothing inside that possibly COULD come loose! I put it back together, and it worked for a day or two; then started the same thing. This doesn't make sense. If there's nothing that comes loose, it SHOULD work like it's supposed to! I haven't given up on it (yet), but I will keep this board informed as I try to solve the problem. I was in hopes someone with similar experience could advise. Thanks!
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
--George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionists

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »
There is nothing to repair in an optical mouse; if it keeps happening with different mice I would suspect your Compaq laptop's USB hardware.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »
Are all optical mice defective by nature?
What do you think?  That question is absurd.  Nearly all mice on the market now are optical mice. 

Where the heck did you find that Green Leaf mouse?  newegg.com does not even list such a brand, and newegg lists many brands. 
Get a good brand. Buy cheap, buy twice, my grandfather used to say!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 01:38:29 PM »
Quote from: Me
im daily sue

... in daily use

Quote from: Me
You have sample

You have sampled

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »