Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The Social Network  (Read 7758 times)

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
The Social Network
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:37:36 AM »
I saw the "The Social Network" a few weeks ago amid the buzz and apparently good reviews and I thought it was an fairly good movie. I use Facebook.com a lot, so it see a movie about it peaked my curiosity. Now I have not read the book the movie is based on, "The Accidental Billionaires", and a I realize the movie took some liberties in being 100% factual but overall I though the acting was excellent and I believe that Jesse Eisenberg performance is should be lauded. Most of the critical reception that I read about was positive about the movie and mostly bashed Mark Zuckerburg, their were only a few reviews buy tech critics and a majority of them disliked the movie and defended Mark Zuckerburg's actions. And other negative reviews just bashed the entire movie and Facebook all together. I was just wondering what the Computer Hope community's reaction to the movie was. Did you guys like it or disliked it? Did you feel Mark Zuckerburg to be the villain or as I felt that Sean Parker, played by Justin Timberlake, was the villain? Also what do you think the future of Social Networking will be?

I also found a interesting video to tie into this subject:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZ0z5Fm-Ng

dkjorg

Re: The Social Network
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »
I haven't had time to see it yet, but I look forward to seeing how it presents the issues.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »

Would not go and see this if it was free.
11 cheers for binary !

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »
Would not go and see this if it was free.

Now if they converted The "Masters of Doom" Book to a documentary film, THAT I would see.

This, not so much.

Really, they have the same idea (the aforementioned book and the book the film is based off of)

However, there are some key differences.

ID software, and the various people involved, had been in the business for YEARS AND YEARS- basically, the book documents the early history of the people involved- with a sort of side interest in ID Software and Ion Storm. It also covers nearly 25 years.

facebook has been around- wow, 6 years. And people are already documenting their "success", not just into books, but into freaking movies.

Here's the thing. Companies and websites sprout up all the time. Sometimes they become instant hits, other times, not so much. There is a interesting constant, though- before Doom was released, they said that "We fully expect it to be the number one cause of decreased productivity around the world". Which was more a tongue in cheek observation, but it actually came true.

Arguments could be made that facebook is in the same boat and is now the #1 cause of lost productivity. They would be wrong. Flash games, for example, are no better.

Personally, I think making a movie "documenting" facebook is almost like premature celebration. The company/website has only been around for an instant, even in internet time; calling it a "huge success" is only hindsight; social networks could just as easily be a fad.

In fact, Social networking sites like facebook really aren't all that much different from, say, Pokemon. Think about it.

With Pokemon, the idea (of the games, anyway) is to try to catch as many different animal things; you can trade with friends and so forth. The main demongraphic is of course kids.

Social networking sites are an extension of this. Instead of collecting things called "pokemon" that you hardly know, you are now adding people to your "friends list" whom you just met the other day; you're creating accounts for your neighbours grandpa's dog just so you can add them as a friend and increase your "total friends:" by one. You find that you no longer care about the "Social networking" as much as you do about the various statistics involved "add as friend" ADD AS FRIEND.... ADD AS FRIEND! It's absolutely no different people. And people started to realize "wow, this is really stupid" so they added ridiculous games like... farmville, I guess. No idea how that game works, don't really care either. Truly though, it strikes an interesting parallel. Any and all games on facebook are turn-based.

Guess what else is turn-based. Pokemon. Yep, this is getting pretty existential here people. And people are all "OMG we can play games against each other on facebook" so you find people in two adjacent rooms playing checkers on facebook like it's the best thing since sliced bread when they could just as easily grab a god damned checkerboard and play a game for real. It's absolute nonsense.

That doesn't even touch on the various reasons I finally decided to "leave" it (deactivate my account).

First, it never left my bloody inbox alone. "So and so has become a friend of X" I DON'T CARE. I truly do NOT. STOP E-MAILING ME TRIVIAL, USELESS details!.

And now MSN messenger is getting into it as well. X has become friends with Y. Again. DON'T CARE. At least it's only a sort of statusbar message, and not an E-mail.

The main reason was the notifications on facebook themselves. one time I had quite literally 200 notifications on it, and every single one of them was from a single person- no, not from a single person, truly, but from a single facebook game that they played, because every time you play one, guess what, it automatically sends "invitations" to all of the people on your friends list something like "hey, this is a fun game, you should play it too" And it's annoying, because I know for a fact my cousin's grandpa's dog doesn't have the dexterity or the opposable thumbs to type messages like that.

The movie itself is merely pandering to the "fanbase". People who seem to think Facebook will last forever, and that it's actually changed anything. It probably won't, and it hasn't. Again, I don't think Social networking in general is not something that will last much longer, That is my prediction, anyway. In fact, I'd say it's already past it's prime. One day we will all look back and see that movie on imdb and wonder why it wasn't done in the same style as "Code Rush"- as a Post-Mortem.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
You don't believe that social media is change in the way we communicate with other people? That's interesting and I respect your opinion, but I don't think that social media is a fad. What were your thoughts on the Youtube link that I originally posted?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:56:58 PM »
You don't believe that social media is change in the way we communicate with other people? 
It's not a matter of belief; it certainly hasn't changed anything I do.

What were your thoughts on the Youtube link that I originally posted?
I didn't have one, on account of not watching it then. Watching it now.

The video cannot seem to decide wether it's about social networking or just the already established "digital revolution". it's mixing the two together into the same argument and failing miserably.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »
I think, it's an excellent movie and Jesse Eisenberg was just superb!
There is no question in my mind, that Mark Zuckerberg simply stole couple of ideas, but he developed them in a brilliant way.

BNoland

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 02:56:48 PM »
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to this weekend.  I have to write a paper on it for school.
My friends saw it an loved it, but I am one of the few remaining people that does not have a facebook.
I wonder if I'll still find it as good as they did or if having a facebook skewed their opinion slightly.

:)

white teeth

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 02:27:08 AM »
I watched the movie, but do wonder how much truth being twisted to create more drama in the movie. But in reality, facebook itself is a successful story, it changes our lifestyle especially regarding the on line social networking. I do not think I can do without facebook.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 08:43:45 AM »
I watched the movie, but do wonder how much truth being twisted to create more drama in the movie.
More then some. "Pirates of the Silicon Valley" certainly took some artistic license in that department as well.

But in reality, facebook itself is a successful story, it changes our lifestyle especially regarding the on line social networking.
From what I've seen afk- not really. Basically it turns people into farmville/mafia wars/etc addicted idiots who apparently don't realize that almost every single successful facebook game is based on older games. Only on facebook would you become "friends" with somebody because you both have an affinity for raisin bran muffins.

Wether it's "successful" is yet to be seen. It hasn't been around nearly long enough to be called "successful" except perhaps in a short term. Would you call Compuserve "successful"?

Farmville=harvest moon, for example.

I do not think I can do without facebook.
And... that is simply sad. Although I know plenty of other people who seem to have this "addicted to facebook thing"... personally I've never understood what there is to get addicted to.

Ernest

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 02:43:45 AM »
    The movie used the idea of Facebook foundation but it's not about real Facebook. The real Mark Zuckerberg did not co-operate with the production of that film. According to him, the early days of Facebook development are not that much interesting. To know the real story about foundation of Facebook, go to http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/thesocialnetwork.php

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 04:44:09 AM »
    From what I've seen afk- not really. Basically it turns people into farmville/mafia wars/etc addicted idiots who apparently don't realize that almost every single successful facebook game is based on older games. Only on facebook would you become "friends" with somebody because you both have an affinity for raisin bran muffins.
    Am...no, not really. You said before you're not even registered with Facebook so how could you know? All you're doing is stereotyping.

Wether it's "successful" is yet to be seen. It hasn't been around nearly long enough to be called "successful" except perhaps in a short term. Would you call Compuserve "successful"?
    I would call it successful. When you have 1/14 of the world's population on your site, let me know. Also, Facebook has a modest 800 employees. Google has 20,000. Think about what Facebook has created contrasted with Google in relation to the timescale and number of employees.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 05:44:47 AM »
    Facebook is also valued at $33 Billion USD by the The Financial Times. Pretty successful, IMO.

From what I've seen afk- not really. Basically it turns people into farmville/mafia wars/etc addicted idiots ...
    Facebook isn't only a place to take part in lame online games. It connects a vast number of people through the Internet, something I have not seen done so successfully.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 05:51:25 AM »
    You said before you're not even registered with Facebook so how could you know? All you're doing is stereotyping.

That doesn't even touch on the various reasons I finally decided to "leave" it (deactivate my account).
    I don't have an account now, but I did. I decided to deactivate it for the many "stereotyping" reasons I gave.

I would call it successful. When you have 1/14 of the world's population on your site, let me know.
    Non-sequitur. You're saying that because I don't have a site that is as popular/more popular then facebook I have no right to criticize either it or the users they have, or the habits and trends t hat have emerged on it. That's nonsense.

Also, Facebook has a modest 800 employees. Google has 20,000. Think about what Facebook has created contrasted with Google in relation to the timescale and number of employees.

non-sequitur pragmatic fallacy. I didn't compare Google to facebook, I compared facebook to ID Software; or, more precisely, I compared the book "The Accidental Billionaires" to "Masters of Doom".  Truth be told, I haven't read the former, nor have I seen the movie, but to be quite honest, I don't think the story sounds very interesting. There aren't any programming geniuses like John Carmack involved; they don't have creative minds like John Romero and Tom Hall. They aren't pushing the limits of anything, despite what anybody might seem to think. Employee-wise, ID kept to less then a handful of employees for 15-20 years, all the while churning out the titles that are well known today; and the backstory behind the development of each one is quite engrossing. Moving from one game to the next, it's clear they were building upon what they had. With facebook, it's more "we started this site in college. it got popular. Now we are rich." There weren't any good or bad business decisions to be made. Game stories and engines and the respective hardware to run said engines didn't need to work together perfectly. They simply got lucky, that's all.

Anyway, now for more specific critiques supporting my previous claim of how it "Basically it turns people into farmville/mafia wars/etc addicted idiots who apparently don't realize that almost every single successful facebook game is based on older games. Only on facebook would you become "friends" with somebody because you both have an affinity for raisin bran muffins."

First;  that "status" update. <Name> is <insert text>. People put the damned stupidest things there. In fact, one can say the facebook status update created it's own spin-off, twitter. But that's another topic altogether (and I'm not sure if twitter was even started after FB or not). In any case, there are two kinds of FB users in this regard:

People who update it once every few months, or make it reflect larger projects (sensible).

People who will change their status when they go to change the cat litter, change it when they come back, change it when they go to make themselves coffee, change it when they use the washroom, etc etc. These people appear to constitute the majority.

I also found the use of the word "Friend" rather liberal. As I sort of pointed out with the "raisin bran" quip, they sort of trivialize what a friend really is. to me, the word "friend" conjures up a real sense of mutual affection. A good number of the people who tried to add me on facebook I hadn't met- anywhere, let alone in real-life. They didn't even count as "People I know", much less "friends".

Another major issue I have with Facebook is that Your Facebook membership serves only to make the owners rich with your self absorbed content. You get nothing for your work. (if you are crazy enough to call it work, I guess). There is no revenue share for your content, your life, your posts. They put ads on your profile and bank the payback. They get it. You don't. They are making money off of you, that's how they got rich "by accident" it was by realizing that even though directly asking somebody if they would do work for free would almost certainly give a negative response, proper motivation can make all the difference, and they reaped the benefits. There is no linkback, SEO benefit, no way to build something better and money making outside of Facebook.
    Nobody is going to hire someone from Facebook. "Hey check out my wall. I need a job, man".

And the biggest thing I can't stand about Facebook and the entire concept of Social Networking?

It's a gigantic waste of time. So many people spend HOURS on the bloody thing each day- and why? What do they get in return? This is what confuses me, as I just noted, those hours spent on facebook tweaking your profile and playing the various facebook games and so forth essentially constitutes free content for the site to put ads on. That's pretty much all facebook is, really; and this is shared by many social networking sites. You can't just have pages filled with ads, you need some content. It's a free content generator. for them to frame with ads. (which even in the last bit while I had a FB account was getting worse).

Before I even joined facebook, I was under the impression that all social networking was effectively pointless. After using it, my opinion has only been further enhanced in that sense.  What I see as pointless, is social networking for the sake of social networking. That is what facebook is.

Take.... oh I don't know- Flickr. Flickr is about photos (See, already has +1 on facebook, since it's not pointless); but, you can establish relationships with other users of the site, who are described as "Contacts" (see, avoids the f-word!). The positive of this is that you can have a single view where you can see photos recently uploaded by your contacts. You can also choose to determine individual Contacts as being "Friends" or "Family" (to be fair, I think facebook has something to this affect, but I can't remember) you can then share individual photos and albums with no one, with everyone, just with your Contacts, or just with Friends and/or Family. The distinction between Contacts, Friends, and Family is very helpful, I think—it gives you a much more sophisticated level of control over your privacy. On Facebook, someone is a Friend, or they're not. There's no in-between. (again, my info might be out-dated on that).

Clearly though, my point here is that Flickr has a Central goal; to share photos. The Social networking stuff is extra; you can choose to engage in it or not. Facebook, on the other hand- what's the point of it? Some have told me it's so you can "reconnect with people you've lost touch with" And to a degree I can understand that. But the thing is you add them as a friend, they are all "OMG it's been so long" etc you have a short conversation, and that's it. maybe every few months you exchange a few words, and you realize that the reason you lost touch was because your interests had forked away from each other, or something along those lines. (this is taken from personal experience, YMMV of course). Basically, the whole "reconnect with people you've lost touch with" is an admirable goal until you realize that obviously you lost touch with them for a reason; if it was really important to have kept in touch, you would have. It's not like exchanging E-mails or IMs or something are  that difficult. In any case, Facebook's real purpose is- of course, Social networking. I find it comical that Facebook, despite the fact that it's sole purpose is to aid your relationships with people, doesn't even have the same "relationship management" that Flickr has (again, info may be outdated), where the social networking is (or was) secondary.

Anyway, mostly I'm just pissed off that the facebook history where Zuckerberg even said it wasn't really very interesting got a movie made out of it whereas Masters of Doom, which would have made a freaking awesome movie, got passed over in the interest of simply doing something contemporary that most people would recognize. Oh well.

talontromper

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »
    I haven't seen the movie nor do i have any real want to. However, that being said a guy that im in school with told me to look up a girl that he graduated with and to msg her on facebook. i got a date with her tonight out of it. I agree the site is pretty useless but without the site i wouldn't have been able to get in touch with her.
    "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide