Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Cannot download or automatically disconnect

Give an answer
1 (50%)
Give a reply
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: browser trouble  (Read 12598 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: browser trouble
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 06:50:07 AM »
Try starting Internet Explorer without add-ons. Add-ons are a primary cause of this type of thing. I don't have a XP machine to see the exact program location in the start menu but it is labelled "Internet Explorer (no addons)".

Also try deleting your temporary files. steps

re: the first problem it seems he option to prompt on disconnection from a dial-up connection is no longer available, at least in IE8.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 08:07:27 AM »
Quote from: Me
Nutcase's syntax and prose style is very (Bill)rich, I begin to think...

Quote from: Nutcase
I am glad that Salmon Trout at last begins to think. It helps in life to do this.

Nutcase

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »
    Also try deleting your temporary files.
    re: the first problem it seems he option to prompt on disconnection from a dial-up connection is no longer available, at least in IE8.

Thank you for some intelligence from someone at last.
    Re- the first problem, if you are right, which I assume you are, the problem is insoluble and must be lived with. I now leave that.
         I regularly delete these temporary files, both by doing what you say in the options and by simply seeking the files in FAR (a windows idea like Norton Commander) which shows up ALL files including hidden, system and so on (which Explorer does not) and deleting them. I can delete all the folders except one, and in that one I delete the files. (You see from this that I am an old DOS man who has some difficulties with windows and more with the internet, but generally I manage).
         I cannot try the other while here, I must first leave the internet, but will try and then let you know.
    Thanks again for your help, we'll see if it works.  "Nutcase".

Nutcase

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 10:56:43 AM »
      BC Programmer,
      Sorry, this jumped out on me.
         In the startup menu there is no mention of `no add-ons', but perhaps I do not have any.
      The only extra thing I put in is to use In Private, but I just tried it without this and I still get the message which I have posted earlier, that IE cannot download becasue it cannot find the site.
      I am not too clear about add-ons, I presume they have to be actually added and are not things that are marked in any way in the options.
      Anyway thank you for trying. If what I have written here is wrong, pleaase let me know.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 05:34:38 PM »
      BC Programmer,
      Sorry, this jumped out on me.
         In the startup menu there is no mention of `no add-ons', but perhaps I do not have any.
      My mistake, I'm using a windows 7 machine and I assumed they would be in the same place on both;  I just checked, you should be able to get to it if you
      Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If it's not there, or you cannot find it, you can also Also use Start->Run and enter "iexplore –extoff" (without quotes). Which should start internet explorer without add-ons; then see if you can download anything.

I am not too clear about add-ons, I presume they have to be actually added and are not things that are marked in any way in the options.
      Anyway thank you for trying. If what I have written here is wrong, pleaase let me know.

Personally, I don't even use IE at all, and my IE8 is loaded with add-ons; a lot of sites automatically install add-ons as well. Either way, for the most part I'm following a google on the subject which came up with a number of hits (as well as a MS KB article) that said that a common cause of the "Page not found" for downloads was add-ons. I'm not certain of course, but it's a lead worth following I think.

Also, you can see what add-ons have been installed by going Tools->Manage Add-ons.

I regularly delete these temporary files, both by doing what you say in the options and by simply seeking the files in FAR (a windows idea like Norton Commander) which shows up ALL files including hidden, system and so on (which Explorer does not) and deleting them. I can delete all the folders except one, and in that one I delete the files. (You see from this that I am an old DOS man who has some difficulties with windows and more with the internet, but generally I manage).

Explorer can be configured to show hidden and system files. Actually, one of the first things I do after installing a version of windows is change the explorer options.

1. Tools->Folder Options, View Tab

There are a number of options here; I disable "Hide protected operating system files" "hide file extensions for known filetypes"  and enable the radio button to "Show Hidden files and folders". This of course isn't to say you should use explorer rather then FAR; this may make those times you do use explorer less aggravating. (I know also it has nothing to do with your original problem but I figured I'd note it anyway)

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Nutcase

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »
        Sorry I do not seem to manage the quotes thing, but we do not need it.

Regarding Explorer I took your advice, as you say in case I need it. Some of them had already been done, but not all.

I tried IE without add-ons using (as you suggested) iexplore -extoff (I did it correctly because it told me it was working without add-ons) and this made no difference.
        It still said that it cannot download because it cannot find the site. I could understand this (without understanding why) if it did not like the sender (gmail or net mail or whoever) or imagines that it was spelt wrongly as it suggests, but the really ridiculous part of this is that apart from trying it with an attachment from a friend, I also keep trying it with an attachment that I have SENT (and has been received at the other end some time ago) trying to download it from my sent folder in Yahoo. The site is actually there! I am inside it! It does not have to find it! But I still get the same message.
        There seems to be no point in testing individual add-ons as the problem does not seem to be caused by them, as it occurs when none of them are being used.
           I repeat that in Firefox I can download, but apart from all else which I explained earlier, looking at the  Forum I see that Firefox can be very unreliable.
           I do not know if you have any more suggestions? Incidentally this again jumped out on me, just this end paragraph, got posted automatically before I finished. I have had to use Modified Message to put this last bit in. I much appreciate your help.  N.