Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange Problem with 8GB PNY Attache Mini USB Flash Drive  (Read 5785 times)

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Strange Problem with 8GB PNY Attache Mini USB Flash Drive
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:05:44 PM »
Well, I just bought an 8GB PNY Attache Mini USB Flash Drive (I had bought USB's from them before never had a problem) and I today wanted to transfer a large amount of music that was on my old Windows XP desktop to my new Windows 7 laptop. So I gathered all the music files that I wanted transfer and compressed them into a .RAR file which was around 6.37 GB and when I went to transfer to my USB drive I received an error saying that the USB was full. Which it was clearly not, I even looked at drive through properties and it stated that I had almost 8 GB's free and I even tried transferring a smaller file which worked. So I decided to split my original 6 GB .RAR file into smaller 2GB pieces using HJ-Split and then I was able to transfer each piece on the flash drive with no problem. And when looked a drive diagnostics, it stated that I used 6.37 GB of space. My question is then is their a size limit on the file that you can transfer to a USB drive or is their some other issue? I was able to transfer my files but I had to split them into smaller files first, which prefer not to do all the time. If anyone can explain to me this quirk, it would be greatly appreciated.

Loder

Rookie

Re: Strange Problem with 8GB PNY Attache Mini USB Flash Drive
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:16:37 PM »
    Hi, I believe this may have been due to the fact that the FAT32 file system architecture supports a max file size of 4GB :). While all modern windows Operating Systems use the NTFS file system, flash drives still use FAT32 for the most part. I am not positive on the exact reasoning for this, but I think it has something to do with the fact that NTFS's extra features would wear down a Flash-Based drive more quickly. Unfortunately, for the time being, splitting files maybe be the only option. You could also share the files over the network though, which would probably take a little longer, but it's really quite simple to do. Hope this helps!

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Strange Problem with 8GB PNY Attache Mini USB Flash Drive
    « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »
    Or you could convert the drive to NTFS with the convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs command. Make sure you back up your data first.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHDu-w8dqvE
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
      • Yes
      • My Personal Site
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs