Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP won't boot  (Read 2312 times)

conman1000

XP won't boot
« on: November 16, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »
I'm not sure what the exact problem is, though I'm implied to believe it is a virus of some sort, any help would be a appreciated.

The computer that is experience problems is a laptop with XP installed. When the computer started up first and told me something was wrong and asked me how I wanted to boot, i figured it was because I had held the power button to shut it down, and just selected normal. The computer began to boot with the Windows XP logo and the bar continuing as usual, then the computer just restarted. I again selected normal, and this time I noticed for a split second, before the computer restarted, a blue screen flash. This time fearing the worst, I selected safe mode and everything was going well, then again, after logo and the bar going, the computer restarted. I went to last known configurations, and again it flashed a blue screen and restarted. Any ideas?

The computer is old enough that it is reasonable that a hardware issue could be the problem as the fan hasn't been working right for a good while now.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: XP won't boot
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:33:27 AM »
It does not sound like malware and I'm moving this to the hardware Forum - especially since you say there have been hardware problems.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:02:46 AM »
Please post your Laptop Model/Brand.
The computer is old enough that it is reasonable that a hardware issue could be the problem as the fan hasn't been working right for a good while now.

You knew it...? Not good. It will give you more trouble as in overheating especially an old laptop. Have you done any cleaning for that matter? All is not lost, hopefully. Make sure the fan works accordingly and do an internal cleaning first...

JoshM

Beginner
  • I'm so ahead of my time my parents haven't met yet
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:03:08 AM »
    Probably a good idea to view the bsod by disabling automatic restart on system failure.