Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 2000 won't boot  (Read 15743 times)

deargodpleasehelp

Windows 2000 won't boot
« on: November 22, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »
Hey guys... :(

So here's what's happening...
I exchanged my old PC and kept the old hard drive, and the old PC used a Hard Drive controller of type PIIX3, and the new one uses PIIX4, I tried this but Windows 2k still keeps freaking crashing with the error code "Inaccessible boot device"... Can anybody help me? ???

Please? I don't what else to do I'm really stuck and I want my old PC to work still... I want it to boot that's all I care about... I've set up all the RAM and stuff like it was previously but this didn't help... What should I do??? Come on anybody?  ???

Edit: Plus I've just checked the Drive with CHKDSK /F and it comes up with no signs of any problems... And this is a perfect-condition drive so there should really be no issue with it, from what I can see...

This PC is custom PC my friend gave me, like I said, The motherboard is an HP one, Supposing it should be compatible with Windows-9x and NT OSes... I don't know, I'm really confused.

Oh yes, I also remembered this Machine had a Windows 98 HDD in it, sorry, didn't see that when I first opened it up,( I remind you I just said I 'Exchanged' my old PC, I said nothing about buying a new computer. ) ..So I ran Command-Only when booting 98, Ok, so get this. The Win 98 Drive is Marked as 'C:\' , Windows 2k is marked as drive 'D:\'. Here's what happens.
I'm guessing either both drives are going/gone bad or there's something seriously wrong with either the MBR or something else.

Here's what I do. I typed in: D:\ Into The MS-Dos prompt and it tells me...
Wait, what? Ok, I just finished a 'Scandisk' now and now when I type D:\ it tells me invalid drive specification... What?  :o
Though I try to Dir C:\, it says:
General Writing failure writing drive C
Abort, Retry, Fail?
What is going on here??

So,
Here's a photo I took of it, for experts who can try to solve the error code...

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:15:08 AM by deargodpleasehelp »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 2000 won't boot
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 11:19:38 AM »
Quick question, why would your Windows 2000 machine give Blue screens from Windows XP?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:21:55 AM »
Quick question, why would your Windows 2000 machine give Blue screens from Windows XP?
To be honest I'm really not sure...
I was really thinking this is supposedly a default NT BSOD, as you can see it looks AFAIK quite different from Windows Xp and + BSOD's...

Why? Is a standard Windows 2k professional/NT bsod different than this??

Also, could you possible specify what's needed to properly run Win2k? I feel like I'm stuck here... I technically could change the hard drive controller, but I mean, what type does Windows 2k need to boot? Or any NT OS for that matter... Like, the minimum specifications...?

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 11:48:52 AM »
As an addition, I've also tried inserting my Windows 98 Disk into the CD-ROM upon boot, changing the CMOS battery, switching drives... etc...
But still no luck.

It seems I'm having a bad day...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »
oh wait, that is the standard 2k BSOD. nevermind.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »
Let's clarify....
I exchanged my old PC and kept the old hard drive
And what did you do with the old hard drive? Did you just put it into new hardware environment?

indogo

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 06:47:06 AM »
    The reason you get this error either specific driver used for hard drive access does not like the new motherboard...the fix is normally to select a generic IDE driver before moving the hard drive, or 2000 cannot find itself as the drive is now seen as D: ...having it as the only drive would normally fix this.

mike

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 09:28:34 AM »
    The reason you get this error either specific driver used for hard drive access does not like the new motherboard...the fix is normally to select a generic IDE driver before moving the hard drive, or 2000 cannot find itself as the drive is now seen as D: ...having it as the only drive would normally fix this.

mike

Hey, sorry for long wait... I know this reply / thread is a bit old but please let me add this...

The Win98 drive had the bootloader on it, or atleast some of it. And upon attempting to boot 2000 by itself, I get the dreaded NT-error:

NT18 BOOT FAILURE

or something along those lines... any help?
    Oh, also, sorry forgot to add... I attempted to copy the bootloader over to the Win 2000 drive in addition to try to get it to work... didn't help any. (I did this from DOS)
    But now I'm only bottlenecked to a certain point, and since I still can't boot the Operating System due to the drive being inaccessible, thus, carpy 98 hogging the booting with it's own bootloader (last time I checked, 98 has the boot loader... I think)

Just to let you all know I only got Windows 2k to boot by copying over the bootloader from 98 drive...  Oh I already said that...

Ugh, Dual-Booting back in the days is not what it is today.  :(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 09:34:18 AM »
    Hey, sorry for long wait... I know this reply / thread is a bit old but please let me add this...

The Win98 drive had the bootloader on it, or atleast some of it. And upon attempting to boot 2000 by itself, I get the dreaded NT-error:

NT18 BOOT FAILURE

you mean:

NTLDR is missing.
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

or something?

Ugh, Dual-Booting back in the days is not what it is today.  :(

For the record, I never had any problems dual-booting my Thinkpad laptop (circa 1994) between PC-DOS 7 and OS/2 for a while. At least until I realized that OS/2 was gobbling up a lot of space and I hardly ever booted into it, at which point I deleted it :P

Lastly, regardless of what operating systems you're dealing with, when you go to create a dual-boot system, you should always have the disks for both.

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 11:56:59 AM »
    you mean:

NTLDR is missing.
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

or something?

For the record, I never had any problems dual-booting my Thinkpad laptop (circa 1994) between PC-DOS 7 and OS/2 for a while. At least until I realized that OS/2 was gobbling up a lot of space and I hardly ever booted into it, at which point I deleted it :P

Lastly, regardless of what operating systems you're dealing with, when you go to create a dual-boot system, you should always have the disks for both.

Indeed I do, I have the Windows 2000 RTM disk, and the 98 Bootable cd...

But, I do not have the patience (or feeling) to reinstall 98 or 2000, both have important files that keep them running (The IDE driver and Floppy + Sata drivers)... So I don't feel like reinstalling these Oses... Took me forever just to try to configure the old PC right just to run 2k without Driver issues...

Then I finally replaced the PC and took the drive with it... and this is what I get?

Also, not NTLDR is missing message...
    EDIT: Actually, upon force-booting 98 I do get: NTLDR is missing message...
    But not on Windows 2000... I'm not sure why it displays something different.

I mean I tried searching ALL over the web, but I didn't find anything!! ;(

I'm not sure why, it just says something like: NT18 BOOT FAILURE
    or NT** something ending with "... BOOT FAILURE"

It doesn't give me the Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart. thing...
    I've really never seen this before, I suppose this has something to do with the bootloader??

I actually have really no idea about this error or whatever... Never seen this on any of my other PCs, must be a Windows 2000 thing? Doesn't happen on XP...

And if I try to boot back into '98 it shows me the loading screen, then I get a bSOD. (BLACK screen of death; DOS Style).