Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bittorrent sites live again in non-US domains...LOL  (Read 3584 times)

Broni

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Bittorrent sites live again in non-US domains...LOL
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1928821/bittorrent-sites-live-domains
THE US GOVERNMENT'S seizure of dozens of website domains to stop bittorrent filesharing has been a total waste of time.

Websites like Torrent Finder are already operating under .info domains, beyond the reach of the US government, hours after the seizure action.
http://torrent-finder.info/

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Bittorrent sites live again in non-US domains...LOL
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:17:21 AM »
THE US GOVERNMENT'S seizure of dozens of website domains to stop bittorrent filesharing has been a total waste of time.

... and tax dollars

Here's ICE bragging about the seizures.
http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/1011/101129washington.htm
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:41:10 AM »
    While in principle it is hard to find the moral ground to argue against this attempt at curtailment of copyright infringement: i do have an observation as it pertains to a quote of content from within JJ's link.
    "We are dedicated to protecting the jobs, the income and the tax revenue that disappear when counterfeit goods are trafficked."
     This from a branch of a Government that does little if anything to "curtail/control/restrict/etc the outflow of income/jobs/taxes/etc to foreign (cheap labor) shores of domestic corporations intent on enhancing corporate and personal executive remuneration with little or no regard to the social consequences at home. Lest it be construed that i am U.S. bashing it needs to be said that we in Canada and as far as i can see most of the "western" world engages in this practice vis a vis it's largely absent control in this arena. What profound hypocrisy. truenorth
    P.S. A cynical person might believe that the "real" concern here is the protection of corporate interests and not public interests. Of course i do not believe that.And if you believe that i have a herd of woolly mammoths i would like to sell you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »
    I have removed a vast swathe of off-topic stuff here because I feel it would have seeded what would have been a completely off-topic debate. And personally I don't have time to waste on such nonsense.

It's definitely a waste of time shutting down any web-site based on a single countries laws because they can simply get a host in another country and be outside the jurisdiction of those laws.
    « Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 09:49:49 AM by BC_Programmer »
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:31:35 AM »
      BC,Where and when would you like to take delivery of the woolly mammoth herd. I am in a position with many factual cases of corporate abuse to demonstrate the observation i have made. But again as in an earlier instance i urge you to bring what is an obviously very fertile mind to do some research based on the inquisitive notion of "could there be any valid basis for the assertion truenorth is making?". Or as i suspect there may be others coming forth with their points of view and the result might be a good debate (unless of course someone requests that it be locked) truenorth
      P.S. As a fellow Canadian i am sure you are aware of 2 recent cases where in fact the Canadian Federal Government disallowed the transfer of significant Canadian assets to foreign ownership.  "As not being in the net benefit to Canadians". Agreed a slightly different case but does go to the heart of protecting ones National interests as i suggest so too does the original situation. Please do NOT assume i am a protectionist (i am not). But i am definitely against exploitation be it foreign or domestic.
      P.P.S. Just to give you a small nudge check this out-
      http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_25/b4039001.htm
      Hope that you will NOT find the source overly sensationalist.