Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: annoying problem with windows 7 task bar  (Read 5516 times)

Echo

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Addicted to online games
    • Experience: Beginner
    annoying problem with windows 7 task bar
    « on: December 08, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
    when i am downloading something it shows up on the task back and thats fine but a picture window shows up of what i am downloading when i scroll on it. How can i disable this picture window. so that it functions like windows xp.
    Computer: Windows 7 ultimate/SP3,/680i lite Sli mobo/512MB DDR3 NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX/  (2GB kit (1GB x 2 Balistix 240-pin DIMM (ALIENWARE) (12/10 new hd)-seagate barracuda 7200.2 1 TB -7200rpm 32mbcache sata 3.0gb 3.5 Internal harddrive

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Echo

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Computer: Windows 7 ultimate/SP3,/680i lite Sli mobo/512MB DDR3 NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX/  (2GB kit (1GB x 2 Balistix 240-pin DIMM (ALIENWARE) (12/10 new hd)-seagate barracuda 7200.2 1 TB -7200rpm 32mbcache sata 3.0gb 3.5 Internal harddrive

Echo

Topic Starter

Beginner
        Re: annoying problem with windows 7 task bar
        « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »
        i did as the instructions said and still got those little boxes on the tash bar here is a pic of what i am talking about. I was installing something so please ignore that. I am refering to the box near the task bar.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »
        i did as the instructions said and still got those little boxes on the tash bar here is a pic of what i am talking about. I was installing something so please ignore that. I am refering to the box near the task bar.

Taskbar thumbnails. I used to be able to disable them, I have several tweaker apps that do that, but none of them work any more (changed by a Windows update?) Also the gpedit.msc method linked above didn't work, nor did the registry edit. Apparently they are part of Aero and if you don't like them you have to disable Aero. What you can do (I have just tried this and it worked) is to create / edit this registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ExtendedUIHoverTime

it's a DWORD and is the hover delay in milliseconds. Mine was set to 100 already. Choose decimal and set it to a ridiculously high value (I have 120000 which is a 2 minute hover before the thumbnail becoms visible).
        « Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:44:10 PM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:56:04 PM »
        Update...
        I found an app called 7 Taskbar Tweaker that, among other things, can enable and disable taskbar thumbnails; I don't even have to log off to see the change.

http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

Echo

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:37:20 AM »
          Update...
          I found an app called 7 Taskbar Tweaker that, among other things, can enable and disable taskbar thumbnails; I don't even have to log off to see the change.

http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

ty very much that seemed to work no more thumb nails!! YAY